Flickering Light

Flickering Light

A Story by Hamkar
"

Who knew she was so close?

"

The candle had gone down an inch now, and all I had been looking at was that photo. The newspaper blurred and the only thing focused was the word Funeral. The photo was black and white and showed a young girl in a lace dress and bonnet. She was smiling but it was easy to see she was uncomfortable. Something silver was supposed to be hidden, but you could just see it from the layers. Who knew she was so close?

 

A tear dripped...

-----

The wind screeched, making endless snatches for my hair. The day was new but bearded with gray mist. The cemetery was to my left, home to my right. I turned right, then decided otherwise and took the left turn through the gate.

 

I counted the headstones to the tree. Twelve rows. Ten rows. Seven. Three. I sat down under the weeping willow.

 

The headstone was always there.

-----

She was the one who had given the photo.

 

“You will find her in your heart somewhere.” My grandmother had said while handing me the photo. “Her name was Mya”

 

And then she had died.

-----

“Who is Mya?” I watched Mum’s face falter.

“She’s,” Mum paused “She was your twin, fraternal”

“Wha...?”

“You’re adopted.” Mum managed to spit out. She almost couldn’t believe what she had said, but then she was released from the burden.

 

That was when I left...

-----

Sitting there at the headstone made me realise what Mum had said. She was my twin.

 

She wasn’t alive anymore.

-----

Why did she do that? I wished I had met her. The photo makes more sense now, her expression, that thing hidden, her attitude...

 

She had done it that day.

-----

I asked Mum to clarify.

“It was depression, she killed herself”

“It’s a knife, isn’t it?”

She nodded.

 

My sister, my twin had killed herself.

-----

The candle shrunk down to nothing. I took the photo and left.

 

I sat under the tree and cried.

© 2010 Hamkar


Author's Note

Hamkar
I have put the scenes in the wrong order so the reader doesn't know until the end what happened. Do you think it worked?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting and intriguing. I liked this short story, didn't know how it would end! Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yes I think this is the right order for it adds to the deeply emotional feelings, and it is rich in dark imagery. Great piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


yes i like this. Very good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this was so emotional
you're very talented

Posted 13 Years Ago


It worked great! It kept me glued on to it till the end to know what things happened and when. And at last it made perfect sense. Nice story!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

418 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 1, 2010
Last Updated on September 1, 2010

Author

Hamkar
Hamkar

Nelson, New Zealand



About
Hi, I'm Hamkar. I like reading and writing. I think Juicy Writing is the best writing help I've seen so far. I lived in France for ten months. I can speak a bit of French. I think it is fun.. more..

Writing
Playground Playground

A Story by Hamkar


An Eyeful An Eyeful

A Poem by Hamkar