A Disease

A Disease

A Poem by Hannah Wilcox

You forget your keys, to feed the cat, to close the garage door. They tell you it is Alzheimer’s.

You forget those important dates, the set phone calls. People start to worry about your health; you are in your later life. The forgotten outnumber the remembered. They tell you it is Alzheimer’s.

You forget phone numbers, addresses, birthdays. Close family suggests a visit to the doctor, a consultation, there is a concern. There is a suspect of dementia, a search in family history. Questions asked, with no answers. They tell you it is Alzheimer’s.

You forget to turn off the oven, the coffee pot, the stove. They call you a risk to yourself. Suggest you should not live alone. You have to move, to a home. Family steps in, taking you under their wing. You have to explain to your friends why you had to leave. They tell you it is Alzheimer’s.

You forget the plot line, stories, movies and plays all lost to you. You cannot leave the house for fear of getting lost on the next block. “You’re in charge” is whispered in the ears of grandchildren when the parents leave, smiling at grandmother “don’t let them get into any trouble”. They tell you it is Alzheimer’s.

You forget the diagnosis, the lack of a cure, the Alzheimer’s. You do not know why you are not allowed to go home, you do not want to be on “vacation” anymore. They tell you it is Alzheimer’s.

You forget the stage of your condition, forget it is worsening. They tell you there is a need for greater aid. You have to move, forfeit your liberty. It is taking everything from you, stealing you. They tell you it is Alzheimer’s.

            You forget a better life, one filled with family, love, a past. Everything is gone, it slowly dissolves, you cannot remember the name of your late husband, your daughter, her children. It has all been corroded, eaten, entrapped. It takes everything. They tell you it is Alzheimer’s.

            You forget until there is nothing left to lose, no you, all that is left is it. They tell you it is Alzheimer’s. 

© 2013 Hannah Wilcox


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on March 21, 2013
Last Updated on March 21, 2013

Author

Hannah Wilcox
Hannah Wilcox

Denver, CO



About
In High School, I take creative writing, and I love to write. I love the darker sides of life, my stories are not happy all the time. more..

Writing
Life Life

A Story by Hannah Wilcox