Z

Z

A Story by Samantha Taylor
"

Bailey is a young girl living in a apocalyptic time.

"
Introduction; 

    My parents used to tell me,  their happiest day of their lives, was the day I was born..  I don't think they'd have ever thought in their wildest dreams,  this would be the world I live in now.  
   Two years ago,  a virus took over what we knew as life.  From everyday get togethers,  to sleeping in your own bed and not worry that someone might eat you while you do.  
   This is the life I live now..  After watching my father nawing on my mother's throat I've come to realize this isn't going to end,  at least not anytime soon. I found myself in a small group of 6, including myself.  Two others from my school who I had never met prior,  my best friend Kylie,  a doctor from banes hospital,  and a solider who was returning from duty to see his wife and new born daughter...  who unfortunately...  Weren't alive when he got there.  
   Yeah,  this is the life I have now,  and honestly,  it changes you..  To wake up each day not knowing if it's your last,  looking at your best friend who could practically be your sister,  thinking I might see some blood oozing monster eat her throat like my father had done to my mother before I bashed his skull in.  Yet there's not much we can do about this,  except..  Keep moving..  Hold onto the hope that somewhere, someday we will find security we all yearn for. 
Welcome to my life, - Bailey Flessner

Chapter One

    My body jolts forward and my eyes break open, looking around frantically. We've stopped,  and it's so dark I can barley see Kylie sitting next to me. The silence is broken as Jeremy speaks up
  "why did we stop? " I look at him then back at Private Reid.  His eyes are wide as he stares ahead,  Dr. Jane Guerrero  follows his gaze.  Her white t-shirts torn by her neck and she has blood spots staining it's once pureness; from the last encounter we had. A slight glaze of blue light shines over her face from the radio, She has dirty blonde hair in a pony tail,  which is much more dirty and greasy than a few days ago; since our last baths.  
"look... " Kylie whispers. Looking back ahead, eyes adjusting,  figures begin to be moving; Till we notice,  15 yards ahead of us is over a dozen dead,  and ever more guts and carcasses on the ground. 
   "back up!  Before they notice us" Luke insists.  Reid's hand twitches on the gear shift.  
   "we have to get through" Jane states to Reid. He nods, fingers twitching again..
    "you can't really-" but before Luke can finish the gas is floored,  and we're all jolted back.  A slight whimper leaves Kylie's lips and I grasp for her hand.  I want to close my eyes but I can't,  the dead's bodies getting closer,  heads snapping our direction into the headlights.  I watch till we're so close I can see the clouded blue that took over their eyes when they died and then all I can hear is banging as each body is plowed out of the way of the van; then it stops and sighs of relief circle around the van as we all realize,  we're okay. Yet Kylie's grip stays tight around my hand.  
    "you okay? " I whisper to her.  She nods but as light flashes over her face from a glare of the headlights I see tears.  
    "I'm glad we're getting out of town finally. " she responds. I glance behind us into darkness,  past the others heads, had there been power I'd be able to see the city light of the big buildings..  But there's nothing but darkness.. Resting my head on Kylie's who laid hers on my shoulder,  I close my eyes; and try to remember the old days. 

The motion of the van eases me into a deeper sleep than I've had in awhile.. Kylie's hand in mine the group never loosens and I feel ok for the first time in awhile.. dreams flood my mind..

© 2017 Samantha Taylor


Author's Note

Samantha Taylor
I started this awhile ago and a lot of my work I lose interest or lack self confidence to keep going. I'm hoping this website gives me some kind of enthusiasm about my work.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on September 20, 2017
Last Updated on September 20, 2017
Tags: Short story, never finished, Bailey, Zombies, TWD

Author

Samantha Taylor
Samantha Taylor

NC



About
I'm 21, Married and am a step mother to 3 kids and have one of my own. I've been writing for as long as I remember and love feedback, good or bad. more..

Writing