A Rotten Strawberry that Ripened

A Rotten Strawberry that Ripened

A Story by Harriet.Lising

“Death is retiring and needs to find a replacement for the job.” an angel announced.

I should have been a cactus. I would not dare touch other people because I am afraid of pricking them. I can only do so when I am told to; at the right time. Even I do not understand why I have been given this job ever since I was three years old. Was I a bad boy in my past life to deserve this? Why am I living this way? Am I alive?

My mind played a melody from Debussy’s Clair de Lune as I wandered through the vast and secluded strawberry field. I started to imagine having a family around me, picking up strawberries underneath the scorching heat of the sun that made the dewdrops on the leaves glisten. I danced and twirled with the hope of quivering off the loneliness I felt inside. Until my momentum was interrupted by an annoying chuckle coming from behind a bush.

“What… are… you doing?” the girl shakily said with laughs in between every word. She was young, probably as young as I am. She wore a white flowing dress that covered her skinny body. I was not able to answer. I was speechless. She could see me.

“Hello? Oh I see. You’re embarrassed huh? It’s okay. Your secret’s safe with me.” She whispered and winked after. She walked towards me and looked straight into my eyes and all I could do was stare back. Her eyes were a beautiful tinge of pale blue with hints of green. I was stunned. She held my shoulder and shouted, “Hey, let’s play!”

Each day, we would meet each other in the field. We would play until the sun was no longer in sight. My favourite game was throwing rocks and the one who threw farther was the winner. I had always won. We never ran out of things to do. I was surprised how little she knew of the world. She would always excitedly tell me how the strawberries give out a wonderful smell that tickled her nose. She would approach strawberry farmers and asked them how a strawberry grows. I could not stop looking at her and her colourful mind. I was cautious not to touch her though. I knew everything would come to an end if I did. I would never let that happen.

One gloomy day, I went to our same hangout. She was nowhere to be found. I waited until shadows were of the same colour as the sky. This went on for three days.

I climbed a tree and waited for the sun to peek. My legs dangled in the air when suddenly I felt warmth around my shoe. She was there. “I’m back!” she exclaimed. She also climbed and once she sat down on the same branch I am on, she gasped for air. My eyes landed on hers. The pale blue and green faded a little. Her cheekbones also seemed to pop out which formed hollows in her cheeks. She playfully pushed me, and I held on the tree so tight because I thought I would fall. She released the same chuckle I heard from the day I had met her. It made me feel cozy even though I bring coldness when I turn people into corpses. “Hey, don’t be mad at me! I was busy.” she explained. I do not feel a hint of rage at her; in fact, I wanted her to leave me. I realized then the complexity of consequence and enjoyment. How I could never have the latter without the other.

My lips curled up into a smile as the sun had finally risen but it immediately vanished when she spoke up with, “I think I’m dying.” I asked her why. She said that she was sick and her condition worsened after sneaking out every day to play with me. So I assured her, “I will be gone but you won’t be.”

It was four in the morning when I finished a letter I had written for no one. I gave it to a dove and told it to fly so high in the sky until it meets somebody to give the letter to. I hoped for death to finally die.

© 2018 Harriet.Lising


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's one of those stories that after reading, you really gotta pause and think it over and over. I like it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hala bakit ganun ang lungkot :( Laging after ng saya may lungkot huhuhu.. ang ganda harriet. siguro 'yung salitang "maganda" overrated na pero hindi ako magsasawa na icompliment 'yung gawa mo. Ang ganda talaga eh.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Harriet.Lising

5 Years Ago

Wow Jaiii... thank you talaga sa pag appreciate mo sakin lagi 😭 pero sana maappreciate mo din yun.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 4, 2018
Last Updated on August 4, 2018
Tags: Short Story, Death, Life, Friendship

Author

Harriet.Lising
Harriet.Lising

Philippines



About
I'm a rookie at writing, but I'm very passionate about it and I make sure to share a piece of myself in every work I make. It can be about the most random things! just like me 😁. I am open for.. more..

Writing