Chapter 2: Living Shadows

Chapter 2: Living Shadows

A Chapter by Daniel Murano
"

Raine enjoys the solitude of her new home but is frightened by a group of mysterious figures that roam the mansion.

"

She awoke to whispers. Perhaps it was remnants of the dream she’d had. She lifted herself out of bed and tried to remember the dream. Like a lost thought, the more she tried to remember, the more it slipped away. A more pressing matter was her hunger. Mr. Borrester said he would return tomorrow around lunch-time.

“What time is it?” she asked herself.

She looked out her window to find that the sun was still visible. She figured it was between six and six-thirty. She enjoyed the view, looking past the mansion grounds to the sky and the forest beneath. The sky was now a deep crimson. Such a spectacular view was absent in former house. If she stood at the window long enough she could watch the changing colors in the sky.

Off to the left, she could see black smoke rising from the town she’d passed in her carriage. When she first came to the grounds, the carriage traveled through the forest along the side of the manse, but from where she now stood she could see fields of green that stretched far to the east. 

She was glad she’d moved here during the spring. It would not have been enjoyable braving the cold before she had a chance to become familiar with the mansion. The winter had a beauty was nice but she’d always preferred this season. She thought about taking a walk after dinner. However, if it was up to Mr. Claver, she would be hunting for all three meals.

Her parents probably witnessed this view every day, assuming their room was facing this direction. This was her fate. She was to live in the same house where her parents had killed themselves. She closed the window and decided to wear an outfit similar to that of yesterday. She remembered how cold the mansion could get and purposely dressed in the heaviest clothing she had.

Waiting until lunch will not do. I will need to find where the food is stored on my own, she thought.

She considered looking behind all of the hundred or so doors, but she may starve by then.  Still, all she had was her best judgment, and she thought it would be on the first floor. The gamble was whether to choose the west or east wing. When given the option, she had a habit of choosing left. Leaving her hat, she made her way down the hall.

As tired as she was, she remembered very little of what she had passed on her way to the bedroom. She purposed to learn more as time went on. The faded rug at her feet could not stop the creaking of the floor-boards as she walked.

She was about to go down the stairs when she realized the bags she’d heard Mr. Borrester place in front of her door were not visible. She continued down the stairs expecting to see them in the main hall, but found nothing. She could only imagine that they were in some obscure location that Mr. Borrester chose before leaving. She remembered placing clothing in those bags along with an extra pair of shoes and some of her jewelry. She would just have to question Mr. Borrester about it later.

Raine continued downstairs and went through the first door she spotted in the west wing. It led to the rumpus room. She should have known a small door like this would not lead to the dining hall. Suddenly, something darted from one end of the room to the other. Her eyes only caught a glimpse of it but that was enough to frighten her.

She gripped the knob and threw the door open, causing a picture or two to fall behind it. After crossing the main hall, she went through a pair of large double doors leading into the east wing. There, she hid under the lengthy table in the middle of the room. 

Remembering to close the door, she left the table and ran to shut it. She then returned to her hiding place. She sat, staring at the entrance past the legs of the chairs for several long minutes. Raine couldn’t tell if the sounds she heard were real or her mind playing tricks on her.

“They must hate me too,” she whispered to herself. “It must be them.”

In time, she crawled out from the table, reassured by the silence of the room; she left through a door opposite from where she entered. Raine found herself in the kitchen. This was the correct wing after all. She spotted a small room where the foodstuff was kept and could now see the bags Mr. Borrester had brought. 

“How insane to get all worked up over some animal that finds its way in,” she said while heading in the direction of the food storage. “Even if the ghosts of my parents were here, they probably wouldn’t recognize me.”

After entering, she heard the door close behind her, causing her to give out a quick scream.  However, it was the locking of the door that brought her panic. She tried to force the door open while stating what few curses she knew. At first she thought the thin door would open with a few forceful pulls, but it was stronger than it looked.

Since two of the boards were missing, she decided to kneel and have a look at her captor.  The same figure from before, now silhouetted by the back light, exited into the dining hall. It had either waited for her to enter the kitchen or had circled around somehow. Whoever it was knew the mansion far better than she did.

With the figure gone, she plotted her escape. The missing board in the door was close enough to the handle for her to reach in and grab it. It would have worked if The White Rabbit had remembered to give her the blasted key. Two clay jars sat on one side of the storage room, tall enough to reach her hip.

She launched one of the jars at the lock and handle of the door. The jar, as old as it was, fell in pieces on the floor. She dropped to her knees, noting the room was small, but she was at least happy not to be claustrophobic. The ceiling was relatively high, like in all rooms of the mansion. She’d known she would one day confront the spirits here, but she did not think it would happen this quickly.

Then it dawned on her that Mr. Borrester would be at the manse tomorrow. He would figure that Raine was ready to eat and come to the storage room…Or the frightened man would knock on the front door and run away when no one answered. Nevertheless, there was food and water here; and it could have been much worse.

*****

She had her fill of the non-perishables and sat in the corner with her arms around her legs. She was in the belly of the beast with little options. She tried everything from loosening the boards on the door to calling for help.

Even if she escaped, the figure would no doubt plot some other trap for her. Certainly there had to be plenty of inescapable places here. Maybe she would wind up trapped and half-dead in the basement. No, she decided. Upon leaving, she would need to corner and trap the figure. In the rumpus room, the figure seemed to have been caught off guard as well, leaving the thought of it being a ghost out of the question.   

With a sigh she spoke, “I wonder if anything like this has happened to Mr. Borrester.”  She waited a few seconds before speaking again, “That would explain his fear of this place.”

As she contemplated how she would execute her revenge on her tormenter, her eyes focused on something she had not noticed.  She thought she knew every nook and cranny of this cramped room, but it hid itself well.

“What are vines doing here?” she asked. 

She knew they were on the surrounding outside walls but how did they grow here, she wondered.  Her thoughts transferred from the shadow to escaping the room once again. In a few months, if allowed to flourish, the vines might weaken the door, but she knew of a quicker way. She would have to put her gift to use. Any vow she’d ever made of not using it vanished with the hope of freedom before her.

“You’re barely alive, but I know you’ll do your best to help me, little one.” She spoke while cupping her hands around the green stalk. Her eyes closed and she felt the familiar wellspring of energy extend to her arms and finally down to her hands.

A lime-green light now filled her palms and transferred to the plant. A mist, slightly darker than the light, made its way through her fingers and slowly rose to the ceiling. It ascended with graceful spins and curls as if dancing.

Confident that this would save her, she opened her eyes and watched as the vine grew.  She slowly moved her hand and the foliage followed. It spread in many directions but was generally heading towards the knob and lock. This is exactly what she intended. As it climbed the side of the door, it looked like a child reaching its hands upward towards its parents. She ignored the distant whispers and remained focused as she shared her strength with the vine.

The plant wrapped around both the exterior and interior of the lock. The handle shot off but she continued focusing a few seconds longer until she heard what sounded like a spring snapping. She disconnected her energy from the ivy, then rose to her feet and prepared herself. She charged the door, causing it to burst open. She was now flat on her stomach with her face to the floor. Her body ached but her need to escape the room far outweighed whatever pain she felt.

Standing, she saw the kitchen she’d despised twenty hours ago. The other areas of the mansion never seemed so magnificent. She was about to celebrate her victory when she turned and saw Vernon with a dumbfounded expression.

He looked down at the cut on her knee and said, “Good heavens, child.  What have you been doing?”

“Mr. Borrester…your timing could not have been more precise,” she stated with a icy voice.

He gave her a jolly smile, “Yes, yes I know.  It is after lunch, isn’t it? And look, Ms. Falinmore, I have the key I forgot to give you yesterday.”

Hers was a look of murder.

*****

Vernon offered her a cup of tea. She knew the blame did not lie with him and so she was no longer upset. She decided not to mention the recent incident, which would only amplify his fear. It was in her best interest to have Mr. Borrester return periodically, but for the time being, she needed answers. She did not want to play games with whatever it was that had trapped her, for the next sixty years of her life.

Finishing their tea, he kept his word and gave her the grand tour. She knew she would be safer with the two of them together but that did not stop the occasional movement she caught from the corner of her eye. After showing her to the study, he brought her to a room of armored figures followed by a series of guest rooms.

After they visited a room designated for the storage of a collection of pottery, the tour of the interior was concluded.  He had not brought her out to the dilapidated stable she’d noticed near the house. She knew there was so much more but she would search for those places on her own.

“It looks as though the food bin will need to be filled shortly.” Vernon said suddenly.

“You did not bring enough yesterday.” Raine responded.

“Strange.  I could have sworn I did. I brought more than what you see now.  Perhaps…maybe I misplaced some of it.” 

“Misplaced?” She spoke while walking with him. “Such large bags? And what do you suppose happened to my luggage, Mr. Borrester? Did you not leave it outside my door?”

With concern, he answered, “Your bags…don’t tell me they have been…”

Taken, Mr. Borrester. By the same one who has stolen some of the food you brought.”

“Good Lord…did this all happen while I was away?”

“Among other things.”

Her stare made him look away. They entered the rumpus room again. If another incident were to happen, Mr. Borrester would certainly run away, with complete disregard for Raine. If she was not careful, she might never see him in Falinmore again.

“My dear, this is the most comfortable room in the house! I do wish I had a room like this in my residence.”

“Mr. Borrester, this problem will not go away no matter how many rooms you show me.  I do not feel safe here. I would have preferred if you told me before, but I am willing to hear about it now, Sir.”

He moved towards the door as if to find a better place to discuss this subject. She followed but stopped before exiting.  When she threw the door open yesterday, two pictures had fallen to the floor. One remained intact but the other was broken. Lifting it caused the glass to fall along with the photograph that had been inside. She was now looking at a picture of her parents.

Raine did not realize that she had nearly forgotten their faces. Setting her anger aside for the moment, she observed her parents in detail. Her father seemed ordinary.  She had his eyes, but from what she was told she took after her mother. One unusual characteristic was his height. In most of the pictures he was taller than any person sharing the photograph with him. In this particular picture, he looked to be in his early forties.

She could not tell if he and her mother had dressed for the picture or if this was taken during an event. Her mother wore a dress that Raine envied and her father was in a comfortable black jacket. Like Raine, her mother simply wore her hair loose, which was all it needed to be beautiful. Her father’s hair was wavier and hid the sides of his glasses. Though his face was stern, she could tell he’d had a marvelous time that night. Only the few photographs she’d found in her previous residence had kept their memory alive.

The picture seemed heavier than it should. Paying it no mind, she collected as much of the glass as she could and discarded it. Raine re-examined the picture on the back but found no record of the date or the place. On the other hand, she did find something even more interesting.

“Ms. Falinmore?” Vernon said from the other side of the half-open door. “Won’t you be joining me in the main hall?”

“Yes, please, one minute, Mr. Borrester. I find myself in awe of this place.”

“Hah, I told you, didn’t I?”

She quickly removed the key taped to the back of the picture and pocketed it. She also read what was written above the key:

Pray that no one goes down there.

There would be plenty of time to think about the meaning behind the words later, she determined. For now, she needed to join Mr. Borrester. She would handle the remaining mess later. On her way, she heard Vernon speaking with someone. She wanted to eavesdrop but could not stop herself in time. She made her way towards the gentlemen, and they broke from their conversation.

“Ah, if it isn’t the lady of the house. Was your morning satisfactory?” asked Claver.

She wondered if he knew anything about what had taken place. Raine wished she knew what had kept him from entering without the company of another. She hoped it was far worse than her recent mishap.

“I rested well, but I worry for you, Mr. Claver. Coming here so frequently has made you distressed. And all for my sake,” said Raine.

“I have been coming here well before you ever rode in, Miss,” Mr. Claver said with a mild hiss at the end.

“I bet we all wish this place was closer to civiliza-” Vernon stopped himself.

She paid no mind to his comment and figured now would be an opportune time to ask both men at once her questions.

“Mr. Borrester was about to tell me something of great interest.  What was the topic, Mr. Borrester?”

“If this is about the ghosts, he can save his breath. The only one ignorant on the subject is you,” answered Mr. Claver.

Raine responded, “Enlighten me then.”

Mr. Claver began to pace away from Vernon, then towards them with a satisfied smile. “Mr. Borrester gave me details of what happened to you, Ms. Falinmore. I see no need to repeat it, but I will say that whatever spirits this mansion houses seem to be very displeased with your arrival. Mr. Borrester and I have fallen victim to them also, from time to time.”

“I am deeply sorry, Mr. Borrester,” said Raine, having purposely left out Mr. Claver.

“What do you think it could be, if not a ghost, Little Miss?” he asked, still wearing the derisive smile.

She entertained the thought of responding, but knew when night came, she would have the answers herself and not from these two. For now she could only trust herself.

Vernon spoke, “It is just as he stated, Miss. Someone’s ghost haunts this place. I cannot guarantee your safety. Maybe it is best to sell the house. Why, you could probably get, umm…quite a handsome profit from this land. However, I am not sure how many people would want the mansion after learning of its…other residents.”

“I’m sure there are some who would enjoy owning this mansion,” Mr. Claver said with his eyes set on Raine.

“Mr. Claver,” Raine responded. “I fear your owning the property may only antagonize the spirits. To your obvious disappointment, I shall remain here. It may even be an attempt by my parents to speak to me somehow, if you believe in such things.”

“Would anyone like a second helping of tea? Mr. Claver, I do not believe you’ve had one yet-”

Interrupting Vernon, Mr. Claver spoke, “Your parents?” chuckling, “I thought you were in an orphanage two days after birth? As if they would even recognize what stands before me.”

“Mr. Claver,” Vernon said with disapproval, “That is quite enough. I insist you apologize this instant.”

“The girl could use a little honesty for a change. With her as the owner, the mansion will crumble. It’s bound to happen, you see? Keep that in mind, Vernon.” Mr. Claver turned and headed towards the main doors, and all Raine could feel was astonishment. Their disagreement was not over, but the emotions within her became too great for her to respond.

All the tears she’d held inside since her arrival were about to surface and she did not want either man to see her in that state. She could not afford to show weakness. It took every bit of her will power to hold her tears until both men left. Vernon walked Mr. Claver to the door then turned to Raine.

“Please leave.  Please,” she pleaded.

Vernon sighed, saying, “You’ll never have to see him again Miss.” With that he left, as she dropped to the floor and sobbed. The figure watching from the second floor also left her to her tears.

To read the story in its entirety, visit: Smashwords



© 2012 Daniel Murano


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on July 10, 2012
Last Updated on July 10, 2012
Tags: fiction, Daniel Murano, crest, tree, legendary tree, love, hate, new fiction


Author

Daniel Murano
Daniel Murano

Jacksonville, FL



About
I am a writer who crafts stories that rise above ordinary fiction. My first book, the One That Binds is complete while my second story is in development. The only thing greater then reading and writin.. more..

Writing