The Thing

The Thing

A Story by Hatter

The thing covers our eyes. It wants to blind us. It wants to take away our freedom, our individuality. It grows, taking away small things first. Choice. It grows taking away more important things, knowledge and freedom. Many try to stop it, but right as they begin to wrap their hands around it, it slips through. Whispered conversations occur in rooms of knowledge. Rooms where one can share freely, but where not a single word can escape. People bend their heads, glancing up to a quickly fading bright future. They hang their heads as they walk through the growing darkness. Their knowledge being the only thing keeping them alive. The younger ones among them keep their eyes alert and open to their surroundings. They dream of beautiful futures with open lands, where they can happily live. They know the older ones watch them, their eyes filled with hope. The future is in their hands. The older ones pray. They pray for their children. They pray for a better world in the future. They pray for a change. They don’t know that even though the present is bleak and dark, the future is still full of possibilities, many that involve the change the younger ones will accomplish. They don’t know that although no one can see the future I know anything is still possible. The thing could lose its power. It could shrivel up. It could disappear. It could leave this world, making it full of light again. This can only happen if they worked together. If they fought back. If. That is the problem. If. If, is not certain, if cannot happen without when.

© 2018 Hatter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

When I first started reading this, it made me think of the Internet as the "thing". Now a days, Facebook and tweeter does this to people. Everyone speaking in a dark room and nothing comes out of it. That sounds like the net. This might not be what you wanted your reader to think but it did get me thinking either way. You did an amazing job with this one Hatter.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 10, 2018
Last Updated on January 10, 2018

Author

Hatter
Hatter

Writing
Letting Go Letting Go

A Story by Hatter


Rain Rain

A Story by Hatter


Us Us

A Poem by Hatter