Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Hazelle Vacrend

Ally blinked her eyes open and looked around the room, vaguely recalling falling asleep in the guest bedroom and wondering how she ended up back in hers.

She got out of her bed and padded down the hallway to the guest room, curiosity getting the best of her.

She poked her head through the door and saw Frank sleeping peacefully. A smile made its way to her lips and she sighed. 

Of course her best friend had carried her back to her room once she’d fallen asleep. Frank had always been a sweetheart. 

Ally debated waking him up or letting him sleep and decided to just go and lie next to him. 

She knew things between them had been strained and she knew the main reason had to be because of Aidan but what Frank had to know was that he was still very important to her and their friendship was one of the most important relationships she had. 

She needed Frank to know that though she was in a relationship with someone else, he came first. 

Ally watched him sleep and decided to watch TV on low while he slept. Frank was usually a heavy sleeper so light noises or even movements didn’t tend to wake him. 

After about an hour of watching reruns, Frank started to stir. 

Ally glanced over at him and waited for him to open his eyes. 

Slowly but surely he rolled over and opened his eyes, meeting hers.

“Hey, sleepyhead.” 

Frank smiled and said, “That was you last night.”

“I’m sorry I conked out on you. I was up über early yesterday morning. Anyway, thanks for carrying me to my room and tucking me in.”

“Anytime, Als. You hardly weigh anything.”

Ally smiled and said, “So I was thinking we could hang today, maybe just have an us day. We haven’t had one of those in a long time. I know I’ve been preoccupied with Aidan lately and that hasn’t been fair to you. I’d like to officially make it up to you. Today I was thinking we could go to the park or the beach, see a movie, you can choose, and then grab food at The Habit Burger Grill.”

Ally was keeping an eye on Frank’s face so she saw his goofy smile as she listed things for them to do. 

“Do these sound like things you’d be up for?” 

Frank reached his hand out to touch hers which did something crazy to her stomach as he said, “I’d be up for anything so long as it was with you. A day with just the two of us sounds great.”

“Okay, well, I’ll let you get ready. You have extra clothes here. I don’t think you’d want to go out in that tux you wore last night.”

“Nah, I’ll leave it in the closet. I’m glad I wore a t-shirt under the dressy shirt to sleep in though,” Frank said. “So, curious question, how big of a dork did wearing that make me look? My mom told me to dress nice and usually that’s slacks and a long sleeve shirt but I took it a little far.”

Ally didn’t want to tell Frank that he looked majorly hot in his tux, nor did she want to say the thoughts that came to her mind when she first saw him in it. But, she also didn’t want to lie to him about how he looked in it.

“It made you look sharp, Anderson. I don’t anyone else could’ve worn it better.” 

“You mean that?”

“Of course. Now, I’ll leave you alone to change and I’ll get ready in my room.” 

As Ally was about to leave the room, Frank said, “You looked beautiful last night too. In case you were wondering.” 

Ally’s back was now facing Frank so he couldn’t see the light blush coming to her cheeks as she said, “Thanks” and left the guest room.

Ally closed the door to her bedroom and started getting ready. 

She was determined to not have today be weird or awkward between them. Yes, she could feel that things had shifted between them lately but Ally was set on making sure everything stayed the same between her and Frank.

...

Frank sighed as he got dressed, wishing he knew exactly what Ally had been thinking when she talked to him. Wishing he knew what she was thinking now. 

He could tell that Ally looked happy to be around him and excited to hang out with him, what he was puzzling over was why she seemed receptive at times and distant at others. 

Frank knew playing the ‘I have feelings for you’ card wasn’t going to work in his favor. He was certain it’d freak Ally out and drive her away. Somehow, he felt she must already know on a subconscious level and wasn’t interested in exploring the possibility of them being together which he was able to understand since they’d been friends for over eight years and because she was with Aidan.

Frank had decided to just wait him out. He didn’t feel Aidan was right for Ally and saying so would just upset her and get him shut out again. He didn’t want that. He valued Ally too much as friend to not have her in his life because he couldn’t keep his mouth shut. 

He felt that he and Ally belonged together and he believed that someday she’d realize it too. 

There was a light knock on the door and Frank had just finished dressing as he opened it. 

“Ready?” Ally asked with a wide smile. 

Frank nodded. “Let’s go.”

They hopped into Ally’s car, cranked up the music, and she asked, “Where to first?”

“How about we grab breakfast at the pier as we walk along the beach?” Frank suggested.

“Sounds yummy. I could definitely go for a bagel.”

Frank smiled as he asked, “From Tastee’s?”

“Of course!” Ally said, as if it were obvious.

“Asiago with cream cheese?” he guessed.

Ally smiled widely and he loved the way her smile lit up her face. “You know me too well.” 

“Yes I do.” 

Ally began driving and Frank tuned into the radio as she started driving. 

...

Ally moaned as she took yet another bite of her bagel as she and Frank walked along the pier.

Seeming unable to help himself, Frank let out a tiny chortle. 

“Do not judge me,” Ally said. “This is a seriously good bagel.”

Frank smiled even more and said, “I didn’t say anything. I was just thinking that if you and the bagel would like to be alone until you’re done, I could walk a few paces behind you.”

Ally rolled her eyes. “You really are a dork.”

“You are too. That’s one of the reasons we get along so well.” 

“Really? I thought it was more because we’re badass outcasts. That and you saved me at a point in my life when I needed a friend. You’re my best friend, Frankie. I’m glad you fought off Johnny and Carson when we were kids.”

“I am too,” Frank said. “I’m glad we’re best friends.”

“Hey, let’s get closer to the water. I want to get my feet wet.” 

“As you wish.”

Ally smiled widely and said, “Try to catch me” as she began running toward the ocean.

After giving her a five second head start, Frank began running after her and Ally laughed. 

She hoped it could always be like this between them. Exciting. Easy. Carefree. Playful. 

After the beach, Frank decided on an action movie for them to see. 

Ally was content just spending time with Frank. It seemed to make him pretty happy. 

What she had forgotten to do when she woke up was text Aidan. Since they hadn’t spent Thanksgiving together, he’d no doubt want to see her soon. 

Once the movie was over, Ally turned her phone back on and saw that Aidan had texted and called. 

Frank was raving about the movie, clearly stoked with the ending, as Ally read over Aidan’s texts.

Hey baby. Are you awake? Call me when you get this.

It’s way past noon. Are you okay?

Do you want to hang out today?

Why aren’t you answering your phone?

“Don’t you agree?”

Ally was busy reading the texts and didn’t realize Frank was asking her a question. “Huh? I’m sorry. What’d you say?”

“What’s wrong? Didn’t you like the movie? I just asked if you agree that the director made the right call with that ending.”

“I thought it was a great movie all around,” Ally responded honestly. “I’m sorry. I have to text Aidan back really quick. He’s been blowing up my phone.”

“Okay but you said today was just us and I’m holding you to that. Phone calls and texts included.”

“Understood. Let me just text him this one so he knows I’m okay. 

I’m okay. Just got through seeing a movie with Frank. Can’t hang today but I’m all yours tomorrow, Ally responded.

A few minutes later Aidan texted back. Didn’t you guys hang out last night?

Yes, but with our families and I have been kind of neglecting him as a friend. You and I hang out more often. I just want to be a good friend.

Fine. Text me later then.

Ally shook her head and put her phone away. “Food?” she asked Frank and offhandedly noticed that he was carefully watching her face.

“Is he upset that we’re hanging out today?”

Ally shrugged and said, “Who knows? He shouldn’t be. Anyway, you want to eat now?”

“Sure,” Frank said. “Let’s go eat.”

Ally walked out with her arm linked through Frank’s. She hoped Aidan understood that she and Frank needed hang time too.

...

Frank watched as Ally slurped on her milkshake. She’d eaten just a small portion of her burger and fries and offered the rest to him which he accepted after she began staring off distantly.

He wanted to know what Aidan had texted her because she had seemed fine before, they were both having fun.

Whatever Aidan had sent her seemed to have Ally living in her head at the moment and it was putting a damper on their day together.

Finally, feeling unable to hold back his thoughts and wanting to help, Frank asked, “Do you want to talk about whatever is bothering you?”

Ally immediately got defensive. “What makes you think something is bothering me?”

“Come on, Als. I know you pretty damn well. You’ve been quiet since we left the theater. Why? What’s going on? Are you and Aidan okay?”

“We’re great. I think he just expected to see me today since you and I spent Thanksgiving together.”

“With our families,” Frank pointed out. “Like we’ve been doing for years.”

“I know. I said that. I told him I spend more time with him nowadays than I do with you and you’re my best friend. I think he was maybe a little upset.”

“He shouldn’t be.”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry if my mood changed. I just don’t like thinking that he’s mad at me.”

“If he’s going to be mad at you for hanging out with your best friend then get mad that he’s mad. Seriously, Als. You guys already spend a lot of time together. Absence is supposed to make the heart grow fonder.”

At that, Ally managed a small smile. “You’re right. I’m sorry. How about we end the day where we started it?”

“What do you mean? Go back to your house?”

“We could, but I meant more along the lines of heading back to the beach to watch the sun set. I have extra blankets in my trunk. Maybe we can ride some of the rides on the pier and take silly pictures in one of the photo booths. Does that sound like a plan or would you rather we head back now?”

Frank couldn’t help but smile. “That sounds like a plan. Let’s get going.”

On the ride back to the beach, Ally cranked up the radio and started singing. Even though she wasn’t that good, Frank loved hearing her voice and her rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody. 

He was glad he’d managed to talk her out of her earlier mood. At least now she seemed to be having fun again. 

When Frank and Ally returned the pier, they decided to ride the Ferris Wheel. It was one of Ally’s favorite rides and though Frank wasn’t too keen on heights, he knew she didn’t like riding alone. 

“Don’t worry, Frankie. I’ll hold your hand the entire time if you want,” Ally teased.

Frank gave her a playful scowl. “Do not mock those who’d prefer their feet stay on the ground.”

Even if Frank wasn’t that scared, he’d gladly take advantage of the fact that Ally offered to hold his hand. 

“I just love the view of the ocean from up here,” Ally said as they reached the top.

Frank could feel his heart rate increasing and knew it was due to how high up they were.

“Thanks for riding this with me. Not just this time but every time before that. I know it isn’t your favorite. It means a lot to me that you do a lot of things with me.”

Frank hesitantly reached for Ally’s hand and said, “That’s what best friends are for. I’ll be here for whatever other crazy adventures you want to try out. I have your back, Als. Always.”

Ally turned to look at him then and Frank was once again struck by how beautiful she was. With the sun hitting her hair it also caught the varying shades of brown. 

Ally smiled and squeezed his hand back. “Thank you. I don’t think I’d trust anyone else who said that to me. Maybe my dad but it’s different with parents. You’re one of the few people in my life I actually trust.”

“You’re probably the only one I’d endure heights for, Allyson Averson. I hope you know how special that makes you.” 

Ally gave him another winning smile and said, “I know.”

They watched the sun begin to set and once the ride was over, Ally found a cheesy photo booth and insisted they make funny faces with one being normal. 

Frank did a monster face for the first one as Ally pretended to look scared, then he did a blowfish face while Ally did a sunken in face, then they did one where they were both laughing and normal, and unable to decide on the last one Ally told him to close his eyes and even though he was smiling and trying to contain his laugher, he heard the moment the last shot went off and opened his eyes afterward.

“What pose did you do?” he asked curiously.

Ally ran outside the booth and waited for the photo strip. Once it appeared she said, “How about I keep the first two and you can have the last two?”

“Ally, I haven’t even seen the last one.”

Ally handed it to him and Frank, expecting something completely embarrassing, wasn’t expected to see her lips so close to his cheek, like she was about to kiss him. She was smiling as she was doing it and whether she meant it to be playful or not, seeing the image did something to Frank’s heart.

“Too corny?” she asked curiously.

“No.” Frank shook his head. “Just corny enough.”

“Ready to finish watching the sun set?”

“You bet.”

Frank and Ally got a few blankets from out of her car and sat on a spot on the beach. They were both sitting on the same blanket and had individual ones wrapped around them. 

“You know I hated living here when I was younger. It wasn’t just the big city or the fact that everything was different. I missed the snow and the green. But now, I can’t imagine living anywhere else. I’m in love with the ocean. I think it holds a little piece of my heart,” Ally said as she watched the sunset.

Frank wished he could tell her that she held a little piece of his heart but knew that would sound a bit lame and knew being that open with her right now wouldn’t benefit him. Besides, Ally held a lot more than just a little piece if he was being honest with himself. 

“Having you become my friend was one of the first factors that made this place feel like home to me,” Ally admitted. “I finally felt like I fit in and belonged. This view also made it feel like home. And right now I have you both together. It’s a good feeling.”

“You’re like a part of home for me too, Als,” Frank replied. “I know I seemed like I had it together before I met you but you completed a part of me that I didn’t know I needed. So thank you.”

“Hey, Frank?”

“Yeah?”

“Am I the only one you’re this open with? I know you and your mom are close but, as my mom points out a lot, neither of us really hang out with anyone else. Do you think we should change that?”

“Do you want to change that?” Frank asked, a little surprised. “I think I can maybe be more friendly toward some of the guys at school but I’m not on a mission to become popular.”

“I don’t want to be popular either. I just, I don’t want you to feel like you can’t make other friends because of me. I worry that you might someday regret not making more guy friends. I feel like maybe you might be missing out on some of the comradery.” 

Frank shrugged. “As you well know, I’m not very trusting of people in general. I don’t typically get along with most males because the one who was supposed to be the most influential in my life bailed on me. I also hear things a lot of the guys in our class say and how they see women and since my mom raised me on her own, some of the stuff they say rubs me the wrong way. I don’t play well with others as you’ve probably come to see over the course of our friendship.”

“You get along with me.”

“You’re easy to get along with, Ally. I’m fine having just you but I completely understand if you want to branch out. We’re older now. Drama changes constantly. You’re not as much of a target anymore. I’m sure you could easily make more friends.”

“I’m not that trusting of people either. That might change someday. Some of Aidan’s friends have girlfriends that talk to me and ask me to hang out sometimes but I haven’t. He’s popular, they all are. If I hung out with them I think I’d feel like I was betraying you and my roots. I didn’t start dating Aidan to become popular. I like him. I’m just reminded a lot more that he’s a senior and will be graduating soon. I don’t know what the future has in store for us.”

“Well just remember that I’m here for you and if you do make any other friends and they’re not a total jerk then maybe I could meet them and we’ll take it from there.”

“Okay.” Ally nodded. “We went a little off topic but I just wanted to let you know that I’m glad you feel like you can share things with me.”

Frank smiled and gave her a small nod as they continued watching the sun go down. Slowly but surely, Ally rested her head on his shoulder, something she’d done hundreds if not thousands of times before in the past but this time felt different to him. More.

Pushing down his thoughts, Frank just watched the sunset with his best friend and took in the various shades of blues, purples, oranges, and pinks. 

Ally smiled as she watched the sunset and Frank continued to breathe in the scene, willing it to imprint in his mind so he could relive the moment time and again once the day was over.

...

Ally sighed as she drove up to Frank’s house and parked her car.

“Thanks for hanging today. I hope it gave you a nice little reminder that though someone new is in my life, you’re still important to me.”

Frank smiled back at Ally and said, “I do know and I wouldn’t have hanged with anyone else.”

“So I might not see you again until school starts on Monday. I can’t wait for the next break. At least then we’ll get two weeks off.” 

“Looking forward to that. We’ll have to come up with another crazy adventure.” 

“Sounds awesome. Goodnight, Frank. Tell your mom I say hi.”

“Sure thing. Goodnight, Ally.”

Frank leaned over a little and Ally leaned in to give him a hug. Ally inhaled a little while she was hugging him and took in his scent, loving the smell and the memories associated with it. 

Frank pulled away and smiled as he got out of the car. 

Ally smiled back and waved before driving off and heading home. 

She listened to music and tried not to think too much about what she was feeling because though she loved hanging out with Frank and he undoubtedly felt like a piece of home to her, she couldn’t read too much more into the way he had started making her feel lately. 

As Ally pulled up to her driveway, she noticed Aidan’s car was parked in the street and felt her heart sink just a little bit.

She started wondering if he was upset with her and if so, did he stop by just to say so and be angry at her?

With a deep breath and long sigh, Ally headed inside her home and was greeted by her mom. 

“Hello, dear. Aidan stopped by. I told him you should be back soon. He’s just in your room.”

“Are you okay with us hanging out tonight? Is dad?”

“Your father went out to run some errands so it’s just me and of course I don’t mind. You didn’t get to see him yesterday. He can’t spend the night or anything but I’m fine with you two watching a movie. Just keep the door open.” 

“Okay, mom.”

Ally walked to her bedroom and opened the door. Aidan was lying down on her bed with his hands behind his head.

“There you are,” he said when she entered the room.

“Yep, it is my room. I was bound to be back.”

“You don’t look happy to see me.”

“Aidan, of course I am. I’m just surprised. You usually let me know when you’re stopping by.”

“Well, I figured you’d be busy with Frank. Thought I’d just surprise you.”

“Mission accomplished.”

“I could go if you want? I didn’t realize you’d be in such a crummy mood.”

Ally shook her head. “I’m not. You can stay. Please. I’m sorry. How about we watch a movie or something?”

“Movie sounds good. I brought Die Hard over.”

“Great,” Ally said. “Um, I just have to change into my pajamas and I’ll be right back.”

“You could change in here. I won’t mind.”

Ally ignored Aidan’s wide smile and said, “I’ll pass. Besides, we have to keep the door open and my mom is here.”

Aidan shrugged and Ally rolled her eyes, grabbing a pair of pajamas and heading to the bathroom.

When she was done changing, she went back to her room and joined Aidan on the bed. 

He had already put the movie in and grabbed the remote to start it. 

Ally smiled when he put his arm around her and tried to relax just a little. She cared about Aidan and he was her boyfriend. Him showing up unexpectedly should be a good thing. The gnawing feeling in her stomach shouldn’t have anything to do with Aidan or them, or even Frank.

Ally resorted to shutting off her thoughts as they watched the movie and hoped the feeling in her stomach would go away. 



© 2017 Hazelle Vacrend


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on January 22, 2017
Last Updated on January 22, 2017
Tags: relationships, love triangle, love story, teen, fiction, growing up, high school