Five

Five

A Chapter by Hayley Anderton

 I was so astounded that I couldn’t speak. My mouth gaped and I was aware that I must have looked like a complete idiot, but I had an excuse! What a bombshell to drop on me!

 “Eddie, don’t you think it’s too soon?” I said, grasping at an excuse.

 “But don’t you understand? There is no time! Not for us.”

 I swallowed “I…yes. Okay. I’ll marry you.”

 Eddie smiled and tears spilled over his freckled cheeks as he slid the ring onto my finger. I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t feel anything back. He kissed me again, and then the Peacekeeper was there, telling him his time was up. He grabbed at my hands as he was dragged away, to touch me one more time.

 “I’ll never forget you!” he cried “Come home soon-”

 I slumped against the loveseat again, covering my eyes. I was exhausted from keeping my emotions concealed, and all I wanted to do was go to sleep. But I had one last visitor. I heard the door creak as it opened, and I looked up to see Logan’s father. I thought it may be normal for the Mayor to visit tributes before they left for the Capitol, so I stood and extended my hand for him to shake. It was quite a surprise, therefore, when he pulled me into a hug.

 “Raven, my dear. This is such a terrible day. Yet I hear you have just got engaged.”

 I groaned inwardly “Yes, sir. I am to be Raven Grey.”

 The Mayor laughed slightly to himself “I know what you’re thinking. That you won’t be coming home, and so you’ll never have to marry him.”

 “You know me well,” I said with a small smile.

 “Well, I’m afraid you may have to marry him. I believe you have it in you to come home. That’s why I’m here. I have already discussed this with Logan, and we know he isn’t going to survive this. Therefore-”

 “Hang on. What makes you so sure?”

 “Because Logan made a promise with himself…I shouldn’t be the one to tell you about it... the odds are against him anyway. You should know by now that boys like Logan don’t stand a chance.”

 I didn’t want to agree, but it was true. Logan was strong, but other than that, what qualities did he have to help him survive? That’s the problem with growing up too rich.

 “Anyway, I have a few favours to ask of you, Raven. Firstly, I would like you to ally with my son. If you get past the final eight, I will understand if you want to split off. But I want him to have a friend until the end. Secondly…don’t kill him.”

 “I wouldn’t,” I said, horrified he had even thought it.

 “Good. I will look after your family, don’t you worry. Oh, and your…fiancé? Is that what I should call him? Edward. But you needn’t worry for him. He lives like a king. And you shall live with him should you return.”

 I was about to argue and say I would never marry Eddie, but the Peacekeeper told Mayor Golding it was time to leave. He kissed my cheek.

 “Good luck, Raven. Remember everything I said.”

 He hurried from the room, and the Peacekeeper beckoned me to follow him. I was put in a car and I spent the journey to the train station thinking over my goodbyes. Did Eddie really want to marry me? Did Mayor Golding actually think I could win?

 Cameras flashed as I stepped out the car into the station. I spotted Logan getting out his own car. He glared at the cameras with pure hatred and strode towards the train. I quickened my step to catch up with him, and then stood in the doorway to the train beside him while pictures of us were snapped. Following Logan’s example, I glowered ahead until we were allowed inside.

 

 

 

 

 



© 2012 Hayley Anderton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Interesting exchanges with Logan's dad & Eddie. It actually wasn't clear to me why the Mayor doesn't think his son would win but Raven would, since she is younger & perhaps the rich sponsors in the capital might like someone more "like them"? Anyway, maybe a bit more clarity on that point.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hayley Anderton

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try and improve on that



Reviews

Interesting exchanges with Logan's dad & Eddie. It actually wasn't clear to me why the Mayor doesn't think his son would win but Raven would, since she is younger & perhaps the rich sponsors in the capital might like someone more "like them"? Anyway, maybe a bit more clarity on that point.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hayley Anderton

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try and improve on that

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

152 Views
1 Review
Added on October 19, 2012
Last Updated on October 19, 2012


Author

Hayley Anderton
Hayley Anderton

United Kingdom



About
Hello, I'm Hayley! I'm sixteen years old, and studying Media, English Lang, English Lit, History and Psychology at college. I love reading and writing, and my favourite band is the Killers. I also lov.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Hayley Anderton


Two Two

A Chapter by Hayley Anderton


Three Three

A Chapter by Hayley Anderton