Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dean Vaksman
"

Risha enjoys her quiet, rare solitude. Until being interrupted as usual...

"

It was a cold night, colder than all those in the past it seemed, at least to Risha. But then again, she was young, not even fifteen from all she could tell.

She rested at the settlement's outskirt, on the edge of a cliff that would have given a wide and plentiful view of the surrounding black, yet calm and relaxing sea. That is, if it wasn't pitch dark by now. Risha liked the quietness and solitude of the outskirt, the only place that wasn't encircled by wooden and brick walls, heavily guarded by famished men who are well worn out from the incessant lookout for the outside dangers. 

She shook hard, her teeth chattered noisily, and she rubbed her hands together in the warm and pleasant steam that was generated from her breath. A small comfort, but hardly of any effect.

Oh how she wished for the pleasance of a warm, flickering wood fire. But she knew better than to start a fire here at the open. Fire, especially during night time, attracts dangers. That's why there was no one here but her at this time of night, they were all inside their homes, warming their hands in the pleasant hearth fire.

Yet, Risha preferred the coldness of the night's air over the swarm of people crowding over each other back in the settlement. The settlement's walls, or more precisely borders, were not far apart from each other, and so the daily life was always accompanied by an overflow of people stepping over one another.

A freezing night was well worth the rare treat that one could name solitude.

'There you are Risha!' she heard a woman's infuriated voice shrilling at her back. 'What do you think you're doing sitting outside in this time of year! Come back inside this instant!' it was her mother.

'But I don't mind', Risha protested hesitantly. 'I like it here. The sea is calm and I can finally hear the waves on the shore.'

'You can hear the fish splashing and chattering among themselves in the water for all I care, it does not change the fact that you're coming back inside!'

'But"'

'I will have no arguments here girl, come. Now', and her mother turned with full certainty that her daughter will follow her steps. And she did, burdened with great, weighing reluctance.

Risha was mad at her mother, for she did not understand her daughter's basic need for solitude, for time to clear the mind and let new, fresh thoughts liberate it from the occupancy of noise and stress.

Yet, truth be told, Risha was one of the lucky few. The lucky few who still had a mother to scorn and yell at them during the cold nights. Most were alone in this world, families scattered across the lands, in woods, in deserts, shores and very few settlements.

Yes… she should feel lucky for having her mother at her side. For just as it was with the majority, her only family in this harsh world could have just as easily been taken away.

Taken, by the grey, dark Giants…



© 2016 Dean Vaksman


Author's Note

Dean Vaksman
This is the beginning of my short story. Again, not edited and will be somewhat rewritten most probably.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I loved it! Truly. You have a wonderful voice. Phrases like "A freezing night was well worth the rare treat that one could name solitude." Show your unique style. You also say a lot in few words. "heavily guarded by famished men who are well worn out from the incessant lookout for the outside dangers." Tells me so much about the world but doesn't burden the story telling with detail. Even in just one conversation I have a sense of the mother/daughter relationship. I like Risha. I want to get to know her better. Good job, I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dean Vaksman

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much =') you gave me a huge confidence boost. I'll try to post the next chapter when .. read more
Ookpik

7 Years Ago

Do it up! I enjoyed this a lot but was bummed when it ended abruptly



Reviews

Wow this is really good. Has a great start. Can'twait for the next chapter :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Dean Vaksman

7 Years Ago

Thank you!
I loved it! Truly. You have a wonderful voice. Phrases like "A freezing night was well worth the rare treat that one could name solitude." Show your unique style. You also say a lot in few words. "heavily guarded by famished men who are well worn out from the incessant lookout for the outside dangers." Tells me so much about the world but doesn't burden the story telling with detail. Even in just one conversation I have a sense of the mother/daughter relationship. I like Risha. I want to get to know her better. Good job, I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dean Vaksman

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much =') you gave me a huge confidence boost. I'll try to post the next chapter when .. read more
Ookpik

7 Years Ago

Do it up! I enjoyed this a lot but was bummed when it ended abruptly

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 12, 2016
Last Updated on July 14, 2016
Tags: Fantasy, Woman Protagonist, short story, collection, monsters, giants, tragedy, survival


Author

Dean Vaksman
Dean Vaksman

About
Hello everyone, My name is Dean Vaksman. I first practiced the actual act of writing two years ago, during my millitary service, and I found myself frustrated, yet, overjoyed with everything that h.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Dean Vaksman