7 Best Ways for Elderly People to Overcome a Fear of Stairs

7 Best Ways for Elderly People to Overcome a Fear of Stairs

A Story by Home Care Assistance Carmel
"

Seniors with limited mobility may face difficulty moving up and down the stairs. However, some elderly people may develop a fear of stairs and may think of falling down every time they try to use it.

"

Seniors with limited mobility may face difficulty moving up and down the stairs. However, some elderly people may develop a fear of stairs and may think of falling down every time they try to use it. Climacophobia is a term used for people with a fear of climbing stairs. One more thing about phobias is that, if it can be developed then it may also be controlled or reduced. There are number of ways which may help your senior loved ones if they have developed a fear of climbing stairs. Here`s a list of 7 best ways for seniors to overcome the fear of stairs.

1.     Using Handrails for a Firm Support

Handrails may prevent your loved ones from falling off the stairs. Family caregivers should make sure the handrails are powerful enough to handle the weight of their loved ones. Handrails must also have lights along the way for seniors to see the stairs and climb down easily. An indicator should also be placed at the end of the stairs to make your loved ones aware when the staircase is coming to an end.

2.     Installing More Lightings

Senior adults who have sight problems may face difficulty when climbing down the stairs in the night. You can install more lights at the side of the staircase for your loved ones to better see through while walking down the stairs. Installing lights is one of the best ways which may prevent falls in seniors.  

3.     Walking Slowly

Walking slowly on the stairs may prevent your loved ones from tripping. Seniors can count the steps and look downwards at every step they take which may make it easier to climb up and down the stairs. Your loved ones can remain focused and reduce walking speed in order to ensure solid footing and an easy walk on the stairs.

4.     Constructing Appropriate Stairway 

Family caregivers should make sure the stairway is not polished which may be slippery for their loved one to walk on. Uneven steps and broken stairs may also cause seniors to fall while walking on the stairs. You can put carpets or rugs on each stairs to make it less slippery and fix any breakage which may encourage your loved ones to walk easily on the stairway. 

5.     Asking for Help

You can assist your loved ones while walking down the stairs which may boost their confidence. Family caregivers can also hold their senior loved one`s hand when walking on the stairs and it can help overcoming their fear of stairs. Seniors can also practice alone taking few steps at a time for making an easy habit. Practicing alone may help seniors to walk on the stairs peacefully and at a slow pace.

6.      Imagining Overcoming Fear of Stairs

Imagining things you want to overcome or accomplish may help people greatly. Seniors can visualize the scenario of walking on stairs which may boost support in them. Your loved ones can try several meditation techniques before walking on the stars which may help calm down their nerves and may make it less difficult to overcome their fear of stairs.

7.     Considering Physiotherapy

It may be hard for you to decide whether your loved one have a phobia or a physical issue which prevent them from walking on stairs. A cognitive therapy may be the best answer in case of phobias and it may help seniors in replacing their fear with normal thoughts. Physiotherapy may help when seniors have some physical problems in climbing the stairs due to an injury or inability to lift their legs.

These are some of the helpful ways which may boost confidence in seniors to overcome the fear of stairs. Family caregivers can always consult a doctor if the above remedies may not provide help to their loved ones.


Further Detail Visit our Site:

© 2017 Home Care Assistance Carmel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on June 25, 2017
Last Updated on June 25, 2017
Tags: healthcare, health

Author

Home Care Assistance Carmel
Home Care Assistance Carmel

About
Home Care Assistance Carmel provides respite and live-in home professional caregiving services to seniors by helping to carry out daily jobs like meal preparation, gardening, grocery shopping, transpo.. more..

Writing