2 Arok

2 Arok

A Chapter by Mark11

Kiri had fell down when the thing had woken, and she hadn't dared to move since. She'd been so startled she had nearly wet herself, and that same fear was throbbing through her now, making her feel dizzy as she stared at the silent, still man. I shouldn't be here, was her immediate thought, I should never have came. As time passed and nothing else happened she began to question herself. Did all that really happen? Or am I just mad? Like mum. The possibility was a strong one. People always said that such illnesses could often be hereditary, and she had always seen the ghosts. She had hoped that she was not crazy, that she was seeing real things, but now it seemed less certain. Its getting worse, soon I might be as bad as mum. The thought scared her more than the metal man, so she decided that she was done waiting. She stood up and silently tip-toed towards him on her bare feet. It - or he - did not stir. Whatever I did, it looks like its dead now. She realised that the thing still had her crystal, but there was no mark on its face to show a groove where the box went. Its face was smooth and flawless, and she reached down to touch it. And screamed as, quick as a snake, its eyes opened and its hand grabbed her arm in a tight grip. His eyes were not red any more, she noticed, and it felt as though he was truly seeing her with eyes that consisted only of a blue light. It was odd, seemed impossible, but something about him seemed alive. It's his eyes, she realised, the only part of his face that seemed to express what he was thinking, which were now narrowed in a suspicious, irritated squint.

“How?” he said in that odd voice, “Where am I? Who are you?” His eyes widened suddenly, “Who... am I?”

Kiri's mind had frozen, and all she could think to say was, “Let go of me.” He complied and let her go, sitting up and supporting himself with his arms.

“Who am I? I'm sure that's important, why don't I remember....” He murmured, as Kiri sat in front of him, her arms around her legs as she stared at him wide-eyed.

“I don't know what you are or who you are.” She said after a long pause, “But I do know where we are, and who I am. I'm Kiri, and you are under the city of Gedna.” His eyes flared suddenly in what Kiri could only guess was recognition.

“You mean Gendazia. I was in Gendazia before... before... something.”

“What? No its Gedna, it has been since I was born.”

The metal man looked at her again, his eyes squinting fearfully, “What year is this?”

“305,” she replied.

“That makes no sense. It was 700M when I... when I lost consciousness.”

“This is the year 305AW, I have no idea when 'M' was.” she said, just as confused as him, and very aware that this whole situation was insane.

“M was the category of year, which changed category every millennia. What category is AW?”

Kiri shook her head, “I don't think its a category. AW stands for After War.” To this he uttered a sound uncannily similar to both a laugh and a sob.

“Three hundred years then, at the least. It is so strange. I feel like I've lost something, but I cant remember what. My memory must have been damaged.” He sat there in silence for a long time after that, still as a statue. Kiri looked at her feet, unsure what to say or what to think.

“Umm,” she started, “Are... are you alive? What exactly are you?” He looked at her with his head cocked to the side; a slightly ridiculous, dog-like mannerism.

“You mean to say you have never seen my kind?”

“No, never. Never anything like you.” Her reply seemed to worry him.

“I'm a Golem, a Talos class Golem to be precise. Am I alive? Well, it depends on who you ask. I think I am alive. I think and feel like you, although I'm not technically living in the sense that you or other organisms live. I am mechanical - constructed by humans. An artificial intelligence.”

Kiri hadn't a clue what to say to that, nor did she fully understand what he was saying. Someone made him? Kiri then spied a small section of writing on his ruined chest: 'Arok,' it said, the first part of the word obscured by the deep gashes that showed the gears turning silently within him.

“Could that be your name? Arok?” She said, pointing. The man's eyes didn't change.

“I don't know, but for now that will have to do - one must have a name, correct? It is a pleasure to meet you, Kiri, I am Arok.”



© 2012 Mark11


Author's Note

Mark11
please comment and rate xD

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Kiri's thoughts help link the emotions she is feeling even though she doesnt go right out and say it with them. It is good and the understanding between Kiri and the reader are beginning to form. I can tell it will only get better from here. the book is very interesting so far. i hope you but more up and if you do i cant wait to read it

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
1 Review
Added on June 7, 2012
Last Updated on June 11, 2012


Author

Mark11
Mark11

Truro, Cornwall, United Kingdom



About
Hi I'm Mark Read, and I live up to my name. Lets just say that I hope one day to be more of a Mark Write so I joined this site Favourite Quote, from Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss: "...Tec.. more..

Writing
1 - A Choice 1 - A Choice

A Chapter by Mark11


Shade Shade

A Book by Mark11


Charizard Charizard

A Chapter by Mark11