Chapter Nine - A Sort of Homecoming

Chapter Nine - A Sort of Homecoming

A Chapter by Bradley G. Patterson
"

Jonah takes Emily and Gail to the only place in the world he feels safe.

"

Jonah manoeuvred the little Volkswagen into the driveway as Gail pulled the gate closed behind him. The winter air was bitterly cold and she wrapped her arms tightly around herself as soon as the latch clicked into place. Jonah had given her the house keys, so she ran up the stairs to open the door while he parked the car. She glanced down the street as she turned the key. The streets of Lairg seemed no different from the streets in Empangeni, save for the children that were now running around hurling snowballs at each other. The drive from Heathrow had been adventurous with the rental breaking down and the only restroom nearby out of order. 

The house was comfortably furnished, and sported a large fireplace in the far corner of the sitting room, something that was lost on most South Africans, since very few places in South Africa ever got cold enough to warrant the use of a fire place. Jonah watched quietly as the girls settled into the couches in the living room. “Welcome to my home.” He said, smiling.

Gail regarded him coldly for a moment then turned her attention to her sister, who since leaving South Africa had not said a word. The shock of the revelation of her abilities had set in. Jonah knew that he had to tread carefully from here on. Until Emily learned to control her emotions she would be a grave danger to everyone around her. The real trick would be figuring out how she came to have these powers. Jonah had heard rumour of such powers a long, long time ago. This could not be those same powers. It wasn’t possible.

“Are you okay?” a voice shook him back to the waking world. Gail had left Emily asleep on the couch and had come to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee. She had found Jonah staring off into the distance. 

“Yes, I think I am.” He turned to her and smiled. “Are you?” 

“I think so. It’s just been a lot to process, that’s all.” She glanced down and back to his eyes again. “Where do you keep your coffee?” 

“In the cupboard above the kettle. There is fresh milk in the fridge. I have a housekeeper who looks after the place while I’m not around.” He smiled. 

“Okay. Thanks.” Gail opened the cupboard and took out two cups, then turned back to Jonah. “Do you want any?”

“Uhm, yes please.” He said. She turned away from him and turned the kettle on, and started preparing the coffee.

“Everything is going to be alright, you know.” Jonah said softly. “You just need to trust me.”

Gail stopped what she was doing and sighed. “I want to, I really do. But I don’t know what to think or believe anymore.” She turned back to him again, “Everything I have is gone and after what I saw yesterday, I don’t know what to believe anymore. My mom always used to tell us that all we needed was love and faith and that everything would be okay.” 

“She sounds like a great woman.” Jonah stepped closer to her. 

“Yeah, well this isn’t quite what I expected ‘being okay’ to look like.” 

The kettle clicked.

Gail turned away from Jonah again to finish making his coffee.  

<note:incomplete>


© 2014 Bradley G. Patterson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on October 10, 2014
Last Updated on October 10, 2014


Author

Bradley G. Patterson
Bradley G. Patterson

Empangeni, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa



About
I am a fun-loving man from Empangeni, South Africa. I have had a passion for telling stories great and small since I first learnt to put them to paper. It has long been a personal dream to one day.. more..

Writing