Hits in Heels Chapter 1

Hits in Heels Chapter 1

A Chapter by Katie Gironda
"

In the first chapter we are introduced to Amelia Snow, our main character.

"

I could hear muffled voices inside the common built two story houses with potted plants on the porch and chimes that danced in the wind. An identical house edged up along this one intrusively, they were lined up perfectly in a cul-de-sac. My handgun was loaded and wedged between my new faded jeans and my stomach. Edging my way along the siding I tried to catch a glimpse of movement inside. A shadow moved quickly to my right where the fresh cut grass met a field that seemed to swallow what little light the moon offered. Turning my concentration back to the job I squatted and pulled my phone from my pocket. I hit one and before it could ring the delicate voice of my partner was on the line.

  "I thought I saw a shadow, keep watch. He will be dead when the lights go out. Ease your way down when u see the flicker." I always keep a tiny light to get her attention when a job was done.

"All clear Ames. I'll see you soon." Scarlett said with anticipation. The phone clicked and as I stuffed it into my pocket I heard the slightest movement followed by a gun being cocked.

"Don't move. Who invited you to my party?" His voice was strong and commanding followed by an antagonizing laughter. I cringed in defeat and looked around in fear he'd give us away.

"This is my hit Joe or is it Albert tonight? I can't keep track of your names. Kind of like your women."

His laugh was so quiet but so powerful. “I looked up to see his muscular form towering over me. His hair was the darkest of browns and it blew freely and messily in the night breeze. I couldn’t help but notice his blue eyes glimmering in the moonlight. A perfect smile formed on his thin lips in a pursuing way.

As he bent down to level with my eyes I could tell he was planning the perfect words to convince me to give up this hit or intrude on it and get in my way.

"Just don't. I'm not giving up another hit to you." I sounded like a school teacher as serious as could be.

He lowered his gun and it swung freely as his elbows wrested on his knees. The thought to grab it away crossed my mind but I decided against it, knowing he was probably just as fast as me.

Trying hard not to look into his powerful eyes and see the look I'm sure he used on all woman to get what he wanted, i gave in, lifted my head and offered him a deep forceful glare.

"You don't even need this hit. Why would you take a hit like this? Word on the street is you moved up to bigger things."

Someone had told me Joe was now a hit man for politicians and a higher up government agency.

"I heard through an overseer you took the job. So I wanted to apologize for last time. I don't want your hits. Not anymore. The ladies aren’t as lovely in that line of work." He said with his lips turning up in a smile.

I rolled my eyes. It serves him right for feeling guilty about intruding on my last hit that involved a murderer. I shivered at the memory of the man’s careless intoxicated look after murdering a young woman who had rejected him. They always seem to stare at me with cold lifeless eyes after they were already dead.

I brushed the thought away. Feeling the air move as we stood at the same time, his scent found its way to my nose. It was the most enticing natural smell I had ever smelled on a man and I sighed feeling a little defeated by his good looks and manly scent. Sliding my way to the back door I pulled a picking tool from my pocket and within seconds I could smell the aroma of home cooking and stale cigarettes.

Joes hand warmed my lower back as he pushed me into the house and I quickly pulled my glock to his cheek.

"Don’t touch." I couldn't hear it come out but he seemed to read my lips just fine and raised his hands in a surrender position.

The house was dimly lit by old lamps and instead of pictures on the walls there were old metal signs of coca cola and Gulf gas station. I eased my way through the kitchen and living room making sure to not bump into anything. There lay an open knitting magazine on the coffee table and I realized this man lived with his mother. Did she know what her son did to little kids? Peering up the stairs I saw a flicker of light and waited to see if there was movement. A candle flame must be burning at the top of the stairs because the flicker of light was repetitive.  My heart was thudding so loud it sounded like someone playing their music too loud. As I eased my way onto the first step I slid my silencer out of my back pocket and twisted it with familiar ease. My actions were quick and graceful, it must be all the practice I get.

A fat blob of nothing lay asleep on a twin sized bed. It looked as though it was ready to cave beneath him. Drool seeped onto his billow and made my stomach turn. His body reeked of onions and cigarettes. I looked at Joe with a disgusted face and he returned it with a mirrored look. I prayed his blood wouldn’t smell like an ashtray, what an odd thought to have right before you kill someone.

My gun pressed to his forehead as Joe stood above him ready to stop any attempt at fighting back. Which I could have handled myself considering my expertise with this kind of hit. The fat man stirred and with a jolt two piercing brown eyes peered at me with what I interpreted as hate and lust.

"You won't be hurting anymore children. Rest in hell you b*****d." I pulled the trigger and saw the slightest jump of his body and still those eyes glared at me. Blood had begun a stream from his pillow to the bed and I looked down in fear of blood getting on my red heels. What a coincidence in color I thought to myself. I move quickly back the way I had come. I slipped off a pair of latex gloves as I hid in the shadow of the house and could feel the hair of his arm against mine.

"Wow you work beautifully." He grabbed my hand and brushed his lips against mine. I felt weak in the knees and angry at the same time.

"If you didn't dedicate yourself to something so good in this world I’d have shot you for that." I pointed my finger in his face as he stepped back and turned to the dark field. Pulling my light from my pocket i glanced around to make sure all was clear. With two flickers i stuffed it back in my pocket and sprinted to the road with my warm gun bulging under my shirt. I couldn't wait to get back to the hotel and clean remnants of blood off of me.

            "How'd that one go Ames?" Scarlett beamed at me with perfect white teeth and an assuring look. She looked like she came right out of high school with her platinum blonde and stick straight hair.

            "Joe showed up. Do you f*****g believe it? Who does that guy think he is?" I cursed under my breath as I pulled off my sweater and pulled a folder from between the seat and the console.

            "Wow he did the hit with you? I guess my keeping watch skills suck." she steered with her knee as she pulled her brown hair into a ponytail.

            "He just showed up and followed me around like a puppy dog, then tried to kiss me!" I practically screamed the words in a mixture of anger and shock.

            "No way Ames. He's got a thing for you!" She laughed and smacked the steering wheel with an open palm. I joined in on her laughter.

Opening the folder and looking at the photo of a child’s face, i flipped to the next page and saw another child’s face. Their ages seemed to be between five and ten.  I skimmed to a new set of photos that showed him in the gruesome acts of molestation and closed the folder and felt somewhat at ease that this man would no longer hurt children.

            "We are heroes and no one even knows." Scarlett said as the left side of her mouth turned downwards in a frown.

            "It's ok. Being apart of a greater good is all I ever wanted. Hey pull over here."I demanded eagerly. She pulled the blacked out car to the side of a dirty atlanta street. I stepped out with the folder and walked over to a trash can fully ablaze. Men and woman stood together yelling in drunken excitement.

            "How's it going tonight?" my question was sincere. They looked at me in surprise and watched me as I tossed the fat child molesters folder in the fire and watched it burn.

            "Drinks and friends. Not too cold of a night. What more could we ask for." A colored man smiled at me with missing teeth. I smiled back.

Reaching into my pocket I pulled out a hundred dollar bill. I stuffed it into the man’s hand and gave him a wink.

"Have a drink on me."

 

The rest of the way to the hotel was quiet and I couldnt stop thinking about what happened with Joe. Pure confusion swarmed my mind and I started to play the kiss over and over as if it had answers. Somewhat creepy but it had been years since i'd kissed a man so a little bit of excitment sent warmth through my body.

Don't get me wrong iv'e had sex, just platonic and without any form of romance. I couldn't allow romance or love in my life with the kind of work I do. I tried to close my eyes and get rid of my thoughts and rest. 

"Do you ever want more for your life? Like a family and that sort of crap?" I tried so hard to sound cold. But I swear it sounded as though I asked myself the question.

She pushed a strand from her face as she took a hard turn into the hotel parking lot.

            "Yeah, not specifically right now.” She paused for a moment in thought. “Maybe, later on. We can’t go around whacking people forever." She giggled "What about you Ames?"

            The nickname came to me after my first hit. My real name is Amelia Snow, I'm a hitwoman for the government. Although I'm not so sure what part of the government but it is a trustworthy agency. I have an overseer who gets ahold of me with hits and proof of why these hits need to be carried out. He also provides me with access to a wide variety of resources.

            "No, I just don't think a family is for me anymore." A sadness crept into my heart.



© 2011 Katie Gironda


Author's Note

Katie Gironda
Opinions and Advice welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
Added on June 23, 2011
Last Updated on June 23, 2011


Author

Katie Gironda
Katie Gironda

tabernash, CO



About
Aspiring author of "Hits in Heels" to be self published in July of 2011. more..

Writing