Too far from home - Part 1

Too far from home - Part 1

A Chapter by Holly O'Brien
"

In this fantasy, In this world...we are all spectacles of nature

"

The small child scrambled across the large open field as fast as she could. Breathing rapidly she still refused to stop.

Lilly, you get back here little girl!”

There was a man chasing her just a few feet away. She wanted to run faster but her tiny legs would not permit her to. Her focus was just further ahead to where the forest began sure that she would be able to find a good hiding place there. The man was catching up to her quickly but in time she managed to reach the forest. Its trees slowly grew darker as the setting of the sun progressed.

The smell of dew lifted off of its surface as she trampled onto the damp soil sheltered by the tall pine trees.

Lilly!” His voice was even angrier than before.

She scurried behind a tree like one of its animals until his calling of her name had faded into the distance. She sat against a thick tree trunk, hugging her knees against her chest. After moments however, she could not hear him at all.

Quietly, she stood up feeling the soreness in her cramped knees. She listened intently only to hear croaking frogs and crickets as a new fear began to creep upon her. Her legs felt like sacks of sugar as she walked, suddenly skittish at the thought of isolation . Her eyes frantically searched the spaces in between the trees looking for a way back out. Darkness was descending quickly making her blind with each approaching second. Suddenly, she noticed a clearing just a few feet away where a massive ray of moonlight shinned heavily on a large stone. As she approached it the croaking of the frogs bordered at the base of her eardrums and when she finally got closer, she saw that it was not a tall stone but an old well. Running up to it she could not resist the urge to throw something in and quickly picking up a fist sized rock she calmly released it over the crooked opening. She craned her head over the well as far as she could but heard no sound. Disappointed, she picked up an even larger rock and threw it in, again there was no sound.

Bleakly, she stared up at the full moon. Her brown curly hair was puffing at the sides only restrained by the knot of her ponytail. Her chubby checks were flushed in red and the surface of her skin was now cold from the once present perspiration that had been dried by the cool evening air.

Throwing herself onto the ground she cried helplessly feeling lost and alone.

Why are you crying child?” asked a small voice that suddenly nipped Lilly like a pinch.

She leaped up sharply looking in every direction for the source but to no avail.

Over here!” the voice said again almost like a whisper.

She looked at the well and could not believe her eyes. There standing on the well was a small pinky sized female human figure with wings. Its skin was a pale gray and glistened of water. Its wings were shaped like a butterfly’s, they looked like a beautiful, silvery, complex spider web.

Fairy” Lilly mouthed.

How old are you?” The fairy’s voice was motherly and inviting.

Ten” Lilly managed to say, her voice sounded like a short creak in an old wood.

I saw you running from a man. Is he bad?”

Yes…” Lilly quickly answered “He’s my dad.”

The fairy curiously looked at Lilly rubbing a small bruise on her arm and flew over to her. Its wings fluttered gracefully like a tiny bird’s. It moved so quickly that by the time Lilly considered running away from the creature it was already hovering before her. Without warning the fairy produced a bright ball of light causing the bruise to burn for a brief moment. Then there was a small puff as if a ball of hot air had burst. Then it became dark as it had been before.

All better?” asked the fairy.

Lilly quickly looked at her arm. The scratch was gone. The fairy looked at her intently turning her head to the side as if she were curious. It's eyes glinted against the moonlight.

Why were you running from your dad?”

Still in amazement, Lilly took a moment to answer. The creature was a jittery little thing...cunning perhaps.

Because, he loves my new baby brother more than he loves me.” Lilly answered shyly.

Lilly hung her head as if she were being scolded. “Mommy too, they don’t care about me anymore.” She began to cry again. However, the fairy did not seem to regard this.

You should come to where I live.” The fairy’s words were sudden.

Where do you live?” Lilly asked nervously but was anxious nevertheless.

It pointed at the well and Lilly’s back stiffened.

You should come for a while and when your parents start to miss you they will never stop loving you again.”

Lilly wiped the tears from her cheeks as she gazed at the well. It was an old , abandoned thing with moss seeping from its cracks.

All you have to do is jump in.” the fairy insisted.

Solely trusting the fairy by it's remarkable beauty, Lilly slowly walked up to the well and sat on it's loosely fitted bricks, turning so that her legs dangled dangerously inside.

All you have to do is jump.” The fairy repeated right before it darted speedily into the well with a quick dive. Lilly’s heart was beating wildly in her chest and her body felt lighter as she started to get nauseous. However, without the slightest thought she slid off of the wall jumping into the darkness.

No Lilly!” she heard her father scream from just behind her.



© 2010 Holly O'Brien


Author's Note

Holly O'Brien
Hope you enjoy...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You made me cry…
Really….
There is a lump in my throat…..



Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh wow! Please do continue! Great set up, storyline, character development. Nicely done!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 29, 2010
Last Updated on August 3, 2010


Author

Holly O'Brien
Holly O'Brien

Macon, Georgia



About
Well I was born and raised in Nassau, Bahamas but I currently reside in Macon, Georgia where I attend college (IT major). Writing has always been my passion and it always will be. A very good friend .. more..

Writing