Love

Love

A Story by Pandamoon
"

Scholl esay

"

Holly A. Frey

Mr. Matska

Collage Comp. 1st hour

18 December, 2011

I Love You?

His wife looks at her as she looks at him, with a cold glance, without love or warmth in their eyes for each other. Their touch lacks the flame of love and their hearts hold only comfort in that they are married, that they have maybe gained social statues with this unity or some other material gain. That is what Jane Austen has in almost every marriage in her book Pride and Prejudice. There is no love in most of the partnerships in her story, only the necessity of marriage or union ship due to the misdirection of youth through lust. Charlotte put it best in saying “…marriage was the only honorable provision for a well-educated young woman of small fortune, however uncertain of giving happiness, must be their pleasant preservation from want.” (106, Chapter 22, Austen) Jane Austen shows here that the foundation of marriage is not in love, but instead in the drive for self-preservation. 

Mr.Whickham was a man without money and a hidden but despicable character, which left him with only charm and good looks to advance him from his predicament, as Elizabeth explained, “Wickham will never marry a woman without some money. He cannot afford it. And what claims has Lydia, what’s attractions has she beyond health, youth and good humor that could make him forsake, forego of benefiting himself by marrying well.”(239, Austen) Mr. Wickham seeks only money and advancement in his search for a wife. He cannot afford to let his feelings play a role in marriage as it is the only way for him to gain fortitude in life. “Lord! How I should like to be married before all of you. I could chaperone you to all the balls, oh what fun we would all have.” Lydia just wants to marry, she thinks of marriage a competition she desperately wants to “Win” before her sisters, she has little need for love and only little help from teenage lust to persuade her to marry.

Mr. and Mrs. Bennet, though seemingly an agreeable couple they have no love left for each other anymore. “To his wife he was very little otherwise indebted then as to her ignorance and folly had contributed to his amusement.” Mr. Bennet lost quickly any and all love for his wife in their marriage and only remains a part of the family as it would be disgracing to even imagine to depart from them in that era. “… her father captivated by youth and beauty, and that appearance of good humor which youth and beauty generally give, had married a woman whose weak understanding and illiberal mind had vary early in their marriage put an end to all real affection for her.” Mr. Bennet was not in love but driven entirely by lust to marry. He took not the least bit of time to find any depth in his bride to be, or he would have found their personalities fatally contradicting. Ms. Bennet sought just to be married, “Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance.” Shown in here, though it is not apparent her degree of affection of her husband, is the fact that Mrs. Bennet does not believe that love or happiness is required, or even expected in marriage.

Mr. Collins may be the most pertinent example of the absence of love in marriage. Mr. Collins dose not even presume to hunt for love in her future wife and even states that his reason for marrying is only that it is what is expected from him. “My reasons for marrying are, first, that I think it a right thing for every clergyman in easy circumstances (like myself) to set the example of matrimony in his parish… Thirdly… is the advice and recommendation of the vary noble lady I have the honor of calling my patroness.” Mr. Collins said, showing he did not care much of whom he married, only that they please him with their beauty and manners and belong to the Bennet family of whom which he was bound to inherit and consequently make homeless the Bennet family at the death of Mr. Bennet.

“… in seeking a reconciliation with the Longbourn family… for inheriting their fathers estate… he had a wife in view, as he meant to choose one of their dollars… Miss. Bennet lovely face confirmed his views and for the first evening was his settled choice… the next morning however, made an alteration… Mr.Collins had only to change from Jane to Elisabeth �" and soon it was done- done while Mrs. Bennet was stirring the fire.” (60, Austen)

Mr. Collins changes swiftly his proposed wife in only a matter of minutes as he finds his first choice in matrimony is thought to be already almost taken. The fact that he decides from appearance and slight preference and not love is apparent.

Charlotte, the beloved friend of Elizabeth Bennet, was the next choice for matrimony for Mr. Collins, who we found to not be choosy in picking his wife. “Her reflections were in general satisfactory. Mr. Collins to be sure was neither sensible nor agreeable; his society was irksome, and his attachment to her must be imaginary. But still, he would be her husband. -- Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object.” (106, Austen) She dislikes his personality, his friends and believes that he does not love or even like her, yet she still plans to marry him, to make him her husband despite all dislike she feels for him. “Miss Lucas, who accepted him solely from the pure and disinterested desire of an establishment, cared not how that establishment was gained.” (106, Austen)  Charlotte states right there her feelings about matrimony are in need of a house, she isn’t concerned about the means by which she gets it even as she is marrying a person of who she finds no redeeming attributes.

Love is something that most strive to find, even naming a perfect match “True love.” Divorce happens cause the love is lost, but with the numerous divorces could Jane Austen have been writing the truth? Is love some unattainable thing always wanted but never able to be had? Is marrying for product be the best most beneficial scenario, for if love and happiness are out of the question you are left with something out of the union ship.

© 2012 Pandamoon


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
Added on January 30, 2012
Last Updated on January 30, 2012

Author

Pandamoon
Pandamoon

Writing
On the beach On the beach

A Story by Pandamoon


Rin Rin

A Story by Pandamoon


Free falling Free falling

A Story by Pandamoon