Chapter 2: Smoke on the Cliff

Chapter 2: Smoke on the Cliff

A Chapter by Honourfish
"

Chapter two of the joint book me and AndyJCash are writing please refer to him for odd chapters including chapter 1. http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/AndyJCash/778328/ for chapter 3...

"

The water stung Zhuge’s eyes; it was the combined hate and torment he felt inside, ripping up his body until it hit his vocal chords, forcing him to roar with vigour but the sound was drowned by the thudding thunder and whistling wind. Lo bent low so he was level with Zhuge’s tearful face, camouflaged by the rain and said quietly and clearly so the wind carried it “Zhuge, I know your pain but we have to move, this isn’t the end, The Originale will not stop, they will come again to clear out the remains, Tul’dun is not safe, we must move to the Neu border, to Shand, we are refugee’s.” each simplistic line hit the ears drums yet seemed to the brain a complex language but Zhuge, with time understood and stood with help from Lo, his head was still throbbing but he managed to sustain a rambling pace that impressed Lo, although he was not sure he could hold it for long.

 

A single drop of rain fell smoothly through the sky and landed with a miniature explosion on the rough skin of a forehead in between strands of medium pearl black hair. Teepee looked up, but of course it was no surprise, the sky had darkened and the air had become saturated, both telltale signs of rain but he could not leave his post, instead he withdrew a little into his makeshift built shelter of debris and leaves so as to keep his bowstring dry, this was not a time for the string to snap, or a time for the wood to warp. Teepee was particularly fond of his bow; it was a yew recurve bow, crafted specifically for him to grow into by his late father. He had got to know the bow like an extension of his body; he was not the best archer but by far not the worst, he was as his commanding officer put so quaintly ‘average’.

            The small cliff face loomed under him as he sat on the soft grass atop awaiting the battles start, slap bang in the centre of Shand it was on reflection a good position but the height was slightly daunting, the top of the cliff would just skim the top of a tall mans head and was quite easily scalable if one so chose to do so. The plan was simple as his officer put, “Let the ignorant Originale charge blindly into the square and our forces will burst out of nearby houses and surround them while the archer’s job was to take high positions mostly on top of houses to allow covering fire.” Apparently every Neu is worth two Originale but Teepee was nervous.

            Roaring grew louder as the Originale horde loomed closer. Bright yellow and red fires grew as houses were set alight and black smoke impaired any far vision. Teepee was blind to everything but rooftops and the square as he tightened his grip and put his eye in. A wild over excited man ran blindly into the edge of Teepee’s eye wielding a machete type sword screaming wildly. It took a second as the arrowhead followed the warrior’s path Teepee exhaled and released. The arrow flew true and straight and buried itself deep into the wrist of the outstretched arm. The warrior howled and dropped his weapon and got piled by the awaiting Neu in the surrounding houses as Teepee notched another. A couple of hundred more crowded into the square and chaos ensued. Bloodshed reigned and arrows sped into the madness from all directions. The Originale were being overwhelmed but something didn’t seem right, their numbers were to scarce and it was too easy to win. A jolt ran through Teepee’s spine, “it was a trap” he whispered to himself. As soon as he did hooves were added to the din and a line of cavalry swept through obliterating half of the packed square and then as fast as they came they went; back to regroup and come in for another attack. But another hundred odd infantry collided with the ruffled Neu forces that had thought they had been victorious. The ambush had failed and instead the defending forces had been ambushed. Now the upper hand was with the Originale and spare infantry blazed the buildings that housed archers adding a smokescreen to the compact space. Teepee squinted through the haze but couldn’t discern who was friend or who was foe. His hand was shaking out of fear and coldness on the wet bow handle and it kept slipping as he tried to force himself out of his hiding hole.

            Battling between whether to join the battle or to wait culminated in him jumping angrily down the cliff face, however as soon as he did he regret it. Four smug Originale infantry had broken off from the main pack and from the grins on their faces it was quite plain that they were looking for helpless women hiding in their houses to have some ‘fun’ with. When they sighted Teepee they paused then charged recklessly. Teepee already had his bow ready, raised it and let fly but his hand yet again slipped and the arrow whipped to the right completely missing any target. The ground between the attackers and Him shortened as Teepee struggled to notch another arrow until the attackers were feet away he raised the bow yet again and this time they were too close to miss and an arrow sunk deep into second from the lefts skull. With no time now to react Teepee ducked and rolled to his right nearly ‘limbo’ing under the attackers blade whilst withdrawing his last arrow from its quiver and sinking it in the mans side. Two Originale and Teepee now backs facing swung around but Teepee was a fraction faster and wedged the end of his recurve bow into the nearest face and the body thumped to the floor. Under the weight Teepee fell and now scampered for his short sword as the last surviving attacker loomed largely over him. But before a blow could be struck he crumpled and behind him a spear was vibrating after the strike. “What?” said Teepee in shock as his saviour beckoned for him to follow, scurrying up the cliff face he had just descended. Teepee took a look back at his burning village and hastened to follow.

 

The weak canopy of trees hid the three men well enough in the neighbouring forest and the trunks and shrubbery acted as obstacles muffling the sounds of the distant battle. “I’m Lo by the way” said Lo holding out a hand “and this” nodding his head towards a young man propped up by the trunk of a tree “is Zhuge”. Taking his hand Teepee replied “I’m Teepee, thanks for saving me back there” at the word Teepee Lo raised his eyebrow sceptically and to that Teepee shoke his head and sighed “don’t ask”. 



© 2011 Honourfish


Author's Note

Honourfish
Please see AndyJCash's for chapter one and odd chapters

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very well written. I enjoyed reading it for sure!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hehe, nice chapter my friend. Gunna have fun working with this new character and especially loved the battle :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, this was realllllly good. I was interested even after the first paragraph.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Omg I love this chapter just like I did the first one! This story is amazing already and you and Andy are only on chapter 2! The wording is awesome and you really bring the scene to life. Fab write :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

339 Views
4 Reviews
Added on August 7, 2011
Last Updated on August 12, 2011


Author

Honourfish
Honourfish

United Kingdom



Writing
Distance Distance

A Poem by Honourfish