Follaton Woods

Follaton Woods

A Poem by Bryony Kate
"

Based on the amazing song Follaton Woods, by Ben Howard. The lyrics inspired me to write this :)

"

There was something about the rain that always made you smile.

You laughed out loud; so loud in fact the nestle of birds sleeping amongst the branches above reeled from the old oak, sending leaves falling down into your hair. You didn't bother brushing them away, instead you danced forwards through the field until we came to the old rope swing, and you hopped upon it, your cowboy boots kicking wet dust into a cloud as you swung forwards.

Soon the shadows settled around us and a cool wind blew between the trees and so we dawdled back, lost souls wandering through the emptiness that had become home. But it didn't matter we were young.

I shall never forget, that it was my rope you had tied around your neck.  Yet, you had only done it because you hoped it had made you feel more free. It took them three whole days to find you. It didn't take me so long. Back at the old oak tree, floating amongst the highest branches, with your icy eyes and an eternally frozen smile. The pretty white lace of your dress splattered with snow and blood, your white-blonde hair swinging in the breeze. They came through the night, their heavy boots ruining our beautiful abyss, their flash lights cutting through our peaceful darkness.

So I sit here alone today.  The skies are as blue as before, the white mist still creeps softly across the hills. I could feel the sadness of the people in the village below, they each grieved in their own way, staring into the beauty of the world yet seeing something so horribly ugly.

© 2012 Bryony Kate


Author's Note

Bryony Kate
Don't often write from a male POV and thought I would experiment with it, what do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on September 30, 2012
Last Updated on September 30, 2012

Author

Bryony Kate
Bryony Kate

United Kingdom



About
I'm Bryony. I love books and coffee. You probably won't like my writing. more..

Writing
Airports Airports

A Story by Bryony Kate