The Emerald and the Lily

The Emerald and the Lily

A Chapter by Scott Christian
"

A dream about a woman I fell in love with.

"
   I once had a dream. In it, I held within my right hand a dazzling emerald of an exquisite green. Its cut was the design of a mis-shapen almond, though twice the size. Other than that discrepancy, it was a completely flawless gem; a thing of beauty and wonderment. For some time, I would stare into the depths of this emerald, pondering its existence in my hand, my life. I knew not from whence the emerald came, but that it had existed for quite some time. On occasion, I would attempt to put the gem into my pocket, for safe keeping, but the moment it was covered by the protection of my pocket, it would shriek wildly and demand air.

   The first time this happened, I was taken aback, but oddly calm about such an aberration. I de-pocketed the jewel, and stared into it intensely. Though it lacked eyes, I could feel it staring me right back, and what we were thinking echoed between the two of us. During these transmissions of thought and emotion, I found myself both enthralled, and scared. It was as if this was a new experience for myself, and each time I underwent the communicatory "dance" the feeling would repeat itself. I adored the gem, for all its beauties and flaws, and soon found myself seeking refuge within its greenish hue on a constant basis.

   Though, as time passed on, the glimmer of the emerald began to slowly dull, and the emotion began to fade ever so distinctly. My communions with the emerald soon began to take a whole different shape. The thoughts we shared were sharp, resentful, and more frightened than before. Everything felt hurried, and skittish. I found myself becoming anxious when we would initiate our connection, and even more anxious when we halted. I soon began to stumble over my monologues, which would only cause the emerald to retort back in pained and somewhat bitter tones. We had come to an impasse, and neither was willing to make headway.

   It was so, that with a heavy heart, I opted to do away with the emerald. Though my companion for some long time, I felt it necessary in order to bring it peace and comfort. It pleaded with me to reconsider, but I was stalwart, and proceeded to the nearest cliffside.
   As we both gazed out over the horizon, I looked forlornly at the emerald. For a moment, it felt as if time itself had stopped, and we began our communicational link once more. As we connected, I raised my right hand high, and cast the emerald over the side of the cliff. Still bonded by mind, I listened to the emerald as it cast its thoughts back to me. I stood there, never flinching, never receding.

   It was then that the emerald exploded in a flash of pure white light, and the cliff gave way underneath. I fell amongst the rocks and rubble, into a grand valley below. As I lifted myself out of the debris, and onto my feet, I was able to see around me a field. The field was dried out, and in desperate need of repair. In the deep center of the field, stood a lone tiger lily.
   I slowly walked up to it, and it turned to face me. In a sad, despaired voice, it begged of me: "Please... I could do with water and sunlight. I've spent much time here, alone, hungry, and unsheltered. The wind that drags through here batters my body, and my lack of food leaves me too weak to survive most nights. Will you help me?"

   As if by being programmed, I waved my right hand at the sky in a pattern, and a cloud within my gesture opened itself up. The rain fell upon the two of us, in a cooling stream. The ground began to become soaked in the life-giving liquid, and the lily sighed in relief. Upon my command, the cloud thus closed, and the sun appeared to our left. The lily pointed itself towards the sun, and began to soak in its rays. "Ahh... that feels so much better..."

   Suddenly, the sound of a howling wind began to make its way towards us. The lily shrank back in fear, but I positioned myself beside it, allowing the wind to travel into me, and sheltering the lily from the damages. Some wind still met with the lily, but only enough to provide a cooling breeze. Once again, the lily sighed in relief, and turned to me. "Thank you."
   I smiled, and sat down next to the lily, and we watched the clouds roll by us.

   And then I awoke.


© 2010 Scott Christian


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on July 31, 2010
Last Updated on July 31, 2010


Author

Scott Christian
Scott Christian

PA



About
Published author currently writing stories for a horror themed podcast. more..

Writing