Meetings

Meetings

A Chapter by INFERNO
"

The girls are here.

"

Saturday evening, I just finished ordering six pizzas. That’s probably going to turn out for over a hundred dollars, but this was my choice. I won’t cook. Even if it is my family, I won’t cook. All I do when considering food is eat pizza and fast food. I know, I’m not healthy at all. I have a lot of ice cream in my freezer now, though.

          I heard someone knock. As I open the door, I am greeted by a tight embrace from a tall, dark-haired girl with glasses. She is slender, but strong. Serenity squeezed my body for a good two minutes.

“It’s nice to see you, too.” I said after breaking free from her arms. She looked down at me with a smile. “Uh, I just ordered pizza. You can sit wherever or-“

She sat on the arm of the small couch I own. The arm. Okay. “If I know you, I know inviting all your girls over means a special occasion. What is it?” I rolled my eyes at her unknowingly repeating my mother.

“Later. When everyone’s here.” I told her, then as I turn to close my apartment’s door, and I saw two girls coming from down the hall, where the elevator is located. I knew that they’d come at the same time. I leaned against my door, glancing at them. Constance and Bailey were walking shoulder to shoulder, smiles on their faces.

Constance is at around an average height, compared to me, at least. Her dark blonde hair had recently been cut short, but I knew that laugh when I heard it. I used to make fun of it all the time. Bailey had bright blonde hair, but had recently dyed it a dark shade of blue, and gotten an eyebrow piercing. She was the quiet one. They walked into the apartment with no words. They sat on the couch.

          “Hello?” they laughed at me, “Say something next time you walk into an apartment uninvited.”

          “Technically.” Bailey snorted and I shrugged at the girls. Serenity loved watching me communicate with my sisters.

          “So, we just wait like two hours for mom to show up?” I asked a rhetorical question, to get a couple nods. “I ordered pizzas. You gremlins better appreciate it.”

          She better show up before the pizza, I don’t want to have to microwave my mother some pizza. She hates microwaved leftovers. So while we were in wait for her, we started talking. Catching up is nice. Bailey got accepted into university, and Constance has a girlfriend. She didn’t tell me the girl’s name, though. I wanted to give in and tell them that I took the job. I, however, had more self-control than I originally thought.

          After two hours passed, mom and the pizzas were nowhere to be seen. I thought about calling her, to make sure she was okay. Serenity placed her hand on mine, and reminded me how much time she takes. It was too late for Bailey, though, she had just dialed the number. That girl needs to use the contacts on her phone instead of constantly typing it out.

          It went straight to her voicemail. Mom always picks up her phone, no matter what. I tapped my fingers on the coffee table directly in front of the couch. I’m a worrier. Bailey looked at me, I can see distress in her eyes, I’ve been able to ever since she got stressed about her first spelling test.

          “It’s only one phone call,” I said to assure all of us, and Serenity put her hand on Bailey’s shoulder. “She’ll probably call back in a couple hours.” I then grabbed my phone and called her again. Voicemail.

          “Can you just… tell us the news, and we can update her later?” Serenity asked in a hushed voice, I nodded, and muttered an okay at her.

“I took the job, and I’m going to meet my new boss in France in four days.”
“YOU WHAT?” I heard the girls say simultaneously. I told them that the walls were thin, and proceeded to explain that I would be completely fine. Plus, wouldn’t going to France be an experience for me? They agreed after about three minutes of silence, thank god.

          “…And I’ll be visiting America whenever possible, okay?” I told them. I then started to fiddle with my necklace which is a chain attached to a promise ring. I didn’t know this until Serenity told me to stop messing with the necklace, and I muttered a simple “oh.”

          “Havens Sisters,” she said to us, raising her voice ever so slightly, “I know exactly how worried you are just by the look on your amazingly beautiful faces, but know it’s fine. Parents can surprise us! I’m sure your mom is absolutely fine.” She stood on the coffee table, I just let her have her moment: “I bet we’ll hear from her this night. So instead of wracking your brains on that, why not think about tonight?”

          “Like why the pizzas aren’t here?” Constance asked.

          “Exactly.”

          It was actually getting very late. We gave up on the pizzas and said goodnight, and ironically, the food didn’t come and I made my own dinner. That is, I opened a bag of frozen chicken nuggets with my teeth and tossed the whole bag in the oven.



© 2019 INFERNO


Author's Note

INFERNO
Be as blunt as you can.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on April 14, 2019
Last Updated on April 14, 2019
Tags: adventure, young adults, fantasy, mystery


Author

INFERNO
INFERNO

KY



About
I'm a college student, majoring in Sociology and minoring in Communications and Theater. I'm a sagittarius, and I'm trying to find good places to get feedback on a novel I've recently started. more..

Writing
Decisions Decisions

A Chapter by INFERNO