The Journal of George

The Journal of George

A Story by Roberta Singer
"

A look into the mind of a 1 dollar US bill.

"
In all my life, everything I've gone through, nothing could even hold a candle to the moment of sheer terror I'm experiencing right now.
      
      It's windy, it's a long way down and the only thing keeping me from falling is being stuck in the crack of a window. I'm the youngest of the entire sheet that was printed that day, the last one to dry.
      
      Yep, my name is George and I'm a one dollar bill of the United States Of America. My current living situation was crammed in the over crowded wallet of a brunette 20 something that's always on the phone.
      
      Right now she's taken a want for a sweet tea, only a buck-six at your local McDonald's and I'm the easiest to reach dollar. However while waiting in the line of cars, answering her phone and changing the song on her iPod she thought it was a good idea to stick me in the crack of the window.
      
      Honestly this is the most brainless land lady I've had in months, what makes her think that risking my life and value like this is a good idea?
      
      I may be only worth a sweet tea, but I'm worth SOMETHING. Am I right?
      I know the pennies are behind me on that, poor Abe he always gets sold short and tossed into fountains. The pennies are so underestimated, just like the rest of my brethren.
      
      Honestly if it were for Abe and I holding things together, everything would crash. Analysts have said that they cannot discontinue old Abe and I, we support the entire system.
      
      And all that glamor and responsibility is about to be wasted when the next strong gust picks up, it could be curtains for me, doomed to float around a wasteland of a parking lot and get rained on.
      
      Oh how soggy I'll be, I'm feeling rather blue just thinking about it.
      
      Oh good she finally noticed that it's gusty out today, back in the car I go. Sadly not into a better condition, I get stuffed right into the damp cup holder.
      
      
      Being a 1 dollar bill is so hard.
      
      I don't envy my 2 dollar brothers though, mostly their locked up by the Amish and then traded for the bigger family members.
      
      I'm glad though that a few people treasure how special they are, you rarely see them outside hand made leather wallets. So when you do get your hands on one, just think that bill is special.
      
      Do me a favour, take him out for a stroll to catch up with the modern times. I imagine modern is a gas lamp to him after what he's been through.
      
      Looks like it's time for me to relocate again, into the great beyond and get sandwiched in some random strangers.
      
      Hopefully I'll get another chance to chat again.
      
      -George

© 2010 Roberta Singer


Author's Note

Roberta Singer
Ignore any British spelling 'issues', I may be American but I spell the English way.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ha ha. Very cute story! I think you would write great childrens' stories. Your style flows really well. It kept my attention all the way through. I hope to see more posts from you.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 12, 2010
Last Updated on April 12, 2010

Author

Roberta Singer
Roberta Singer

Summerville, SC



About
I am 22 years old and have been an avid writer for the past 4 years. I've recently gotten serious about the profession and have started to write with intent to publish and sell. I currently reside .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Roberta Singer