Pinky Promise

Pinky Promise

A Story by A.T.
"

Prompt: "Write about struggle"

"

I twisted the ring on my finger. It wasn't there yesterday; she had given it to me last night.

      "Will you wear it?" She had asked.

      "Yeah, babe"

      I couldn't stand the feeling. This ring shouldn't be on my finger. It should be on hers.

  

    "What's so important about this dang ring?" I had said.

      "My momma gave it to me every time she left."

      Her momma left often. This ring told her that her momma would return. It was like a promise. I grabbed my pencil, attempting to take notes. It felt funny. It didn't belong there.

      Her fingers were so tiny, so little. Delicate. Mine were large and strong. They didn't feel strong now. Not without her hand in mine.

       "Please wear it? I'll be okay, but take it?" She looked so hopeful. Like her safety weighed on the taking of this ring.

      "It's dangerous. You might not be okay."

      "But I'll feel better." She smiled softly. She was so pretty- beautiful, in fact.

      I had to hold onto that. She will feel better. After this surgery, she will feel better. This ring didn't feel like a promise of return though. It felt like a painful goodbye.

       I twisted it again on my pinky finger. It's the only finger that fit her ring.

       "Matt? You have a phone call. Just go down to the office to take it okay?"

       It was cruel to leave her in that place and go back to my normal life like it was nothing. I played with the ring again. "Hello?"

© 2013 A.T.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on December 15, 2013
Last Updated on December 15, 2013
Tags: sad, ring, struggle

Author

A.T.
A.T.

South Glens Falls, NY



About
Do not cage me and quote my words. body, a:hover {cursor: url(http://cur.cursors-4u.net/nature/nat-9/nat865.cur), progress !important;} more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by A.T.


Saving You Saving You

A Story by A.T.