Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Audrey L

In the darkness I heard a voice. It was hushed and whispered, but almost frantic. I couldn’t hear what the voice was saying. Why was everything so fuzzy? 

I felt something lightly touch my shoulder. In a panic I flung my eyes open to the dim light in the cave and scrambled backwards only to hit a wall and my vision white out with pain. I cried out and my eyes welled with tears. 

“Oh my goodness I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” The voice was clearer now. It was a female voice. The noblewoman. I realized with a start. Had she found me? Was she trying to trick me?

I curled further into the corner despite the fact that any movement sent waves of agonizing pain down my right leg and shoulder. 

I heard the woman take a deep breath, “It’s ok, I’m not going to hurt you,” she said, her voice low and calm. “I want to help you.” 

“No.” My voice was shaky and small but I pushed out the word. 

The woman spoke again, “Please, you’re hurt, you’ve lost a lot of blood, let me help you.”

I tucked my chin to chest, “No, no,” I whispered, then with more force, “You’re just trying to trick me.” 

“I promise I’m not.” There was a hint of genuine concern and confusion in her voice. 

Maybe it wasn’t the noble woman. 

I lifted my chin and wearily opened my eyes. I was in the cave, behind the waterfall, and kneeling in front of me was a human girl, around my age. She had dark skin and a kind face. Her clothes were simple and a purple bow rested in her curly hair.

“There you are,” she breathed. I furrowed my brow. I recognized her, but my brain was too fuzzy from the blood loss and pain to place it. It was then that I realized that my shift had fallen, the purple markings on my face and upper arms completely visible. Not just that but the obvious purple that ran through the front part of my short dark hair was on display. My eyes widened. Why was this human helping me? “You’re hurt, really really badly,” she said, scooting a little closer to where I had balled myself up in the corner. “I want to help, if you’ll let me.”

I looked at her, suspicion growing as I surveyed her hands which had no trace of dirt on them despite the typical peasant dress she wore, “No.” 

“Please,” it sounded like she was begging with me, why would a human be begging to save the life of a druid. 

“I’ll be fine,” I mumbled before realizing my situation was incredibly dire. I could barely find enough strength to form words, and all of that energy was coming from the adrenaline still pumping through my body. Even if I had the strength, I couldn’t walk. There was a weapon going through my leg. The bone was probably shattered. My breath caught in my throat. If I didn’t get out of this cave and back to my village, I would never walk, let alone live ever again. 

Maeve. The thought of my village brought my sibling to mind. He was a few years older than me and one of the worst magic users in the world. However, he made up for it in his shifting abilities. He could do complete shifts. He could make himself look like a frog if he wanted. He would never get a body, I’d never get to say goodbye. 

The emotion spilled over and I began to shake, a sob building in my throat. And I was losing it in front of a human. 

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. 

“Hey, hey, it’s okay.” the girl said, scooting just a little closer, “Please, at least let me get you some medicine.”

“Fine,” I choked out, the intense pain I was feeling making the decision for me. 

The girl sighed happily and stood, walking towards the entrance of the cave, “I’ll be right back, I promise.” 


* * *


“Right back” turned out to be several hours, and in that time I had slumped against the wall, barely enough energy to keep my eyes open. I could feel my lifeforce leaving my body and I celebrated every minute that I was still conscious. When the girl came back she was carrying a large basket filled with what I presumed were medical supplies. 

Her eyes landed on me and her breath hitched, “I’m so sorry, I got a little caught up with something.”

I couldn’t find the strength to answer, instead following her movements with my eyes. 

“Look, I know you don’t trust me, and that is completely valid, but can you let me help you, please?” 

My head dipped with a nod. If this girl was going to kill me she would’ve done it already. 

She smiled, “Thank you, now, we have to get the lances out.” 

I shut my eyes and internally cringed, I knew it was inevitable, and gasped out a choked, “Just do it.” 

The girl pursed her lips and walked over to me, kneeling next to me, her foot stcking in a puddle of my blood. She grimaced before turning to me, “We’ll take out the one in your shoulder first, I think it’ll be easier.” She didn’t add the “and less painful” but it hung in the air over us. 

I rested my head against the cave wall and took a deep breath. “Do it.” 

She wrapped her hands around the lance and pulled. I screamed as I felt muscle and tendon tearing. Throwing my head back, I screamed louder as the girl pressed a cloth against the gaping hole that had to be in my shoulder. 

“I’m so sorry.” I could hear the girl saying over the sound of my own screams. 

After a few minutes I had composed myself enough to stop screaming although I was a pathetic sobbing mess. 

“We’ve got to get the other one out.” The girl said, her voice a smooth cadence as my pulse pounded in my ears. I nodded despite everything in my being telling me that this would absolutely be hundreds of times more painful than the last one. 

She gently patted my shoulder before gripping the weapon and yanking it out.

For the second time that day, my vision went dark. 



© 2020 Audrey L


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am so excited for the next chapter, also I already ship those too

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 30, 2020
Last Updated on December 30, 2020


Author

Audrey L
Audrey L

Lafayette, CO



About
Hi! I'm Audrey and I'm a young writer from Colorado. I love musical theatre and dance and sing professionally. I'm also a huge animal lover and slightly obsessed geek when it comes to video games .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Audrey L


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Audrey L