RoD Prologue

RoD Prologue

A Chapter by Blue Jay

My name is Caerwyn and this is my pack, The Pack of the Hidden Springs. I am their Gamma. It’s my job to oversee the training of all the young wolves within our pack. What they don’t know is that I have a secret.


 Let me explain. In my pack the blood of demons runs thick through our veins. We wolves have the unique ability to forge bonds with demons. In exchange for extra abilities and greater power we agree to share our bodies with the demons, giving them a physical form in this world. Not all wolves can do this though. Only a select few can, like those in our pack. Because of our pure blood we have been able to maintain a pack where every member has a demon. Our ability has had another effect on us however. Because of our strength, we have come to believe that we are superior to all other creatures, especially wolves who don’t have their own demon. Even I believed that for many years, but I have come to realize the errors in our thinking after meeting Talmarik. He is a demonless wolf, and my mate. I cannot let my pack know about it, especially now. I have just found out that I am expecting pups. If the pack found out that I was familiar with one of the lower species, a demonless wolf, the pups would be the ones getting hurt. I must stop meeting him, for the safety of everyone. He and I are not the only ones in danger because of my secret anymore.


 


I leave the camp at a gentle run, heading towards the willow forests to the west. As far as my pack knows, I am heading out to check the borders, but my real destination is across our border. There is no reason for them to suspect anything. As Gamma, I don’t often get out of camp and I’m constantly surrounded by my packmates so sometimes I offer to patrol to get some alone time. I’m not the only officer who does this either. The alpha, beta, and delta are all known to do this as well.


My thoughts are on what I’m going to do once I reach my destination and I reach the border in record time. Lifting my nose to the wind, I check for any familiar scents. I don’t want to be seen by any of my packmates here. Smelling nothing, I step over the border and race to a nearby stone, slipping behind it. There is a crack there that opens up into a wide tunnel. I let out a soft sigh, knowing the danger has passed and move slowly through the dark corridor. I have travelled this way many times before and my paws remain sure as I navigate easily through the darkness without tripping. After what seems like ages, I emerge into the soft moonlight where a grove of willow trees lies hidden. The grass here grows tall and soft, and it is much like being underwater. With the grass moving in ripples below me and the willow branches swaying above my head like waves, I feel like I am in a place where time has no meaning. I pad softly through this magical place to the center, where he is waiting for me. When I see him, my tail starts to wag. He is looking up at the full moon, lost in thought as the breeze stirs his pelt. He shivers lightly at the wind’s touch, his muscles rippling gently. I sigh softly in envy of his lithe, muscular figure, and he turns to face me. I can see the light in his orange and black face as he stands and walks towards me. “I have missed you Caerwyn.” He murmurs softly as he touches his nose gently to mine.


“As I have missed you Talmarik.” I reply, stepping back. I pretend to look him over and chuckle softly. “Are you sure you have not grown in the moon since I last saw you?” He really is quite small for a wolf. When I first saw him, I actually thought he was a large fox until I got close enough to see him properly. As it is, his pelt is has an orange lit to it. He is only just shorter than me, his ears coming up to my cheek.


“Are you sure you didn’t shrink instead?” he teased right back, leaping forward to tackle me. I kick him off and he races away so of course I give chase. We run around together, playing and laughing, until I remember what exactly I have come here to say. Hearing me pause, he turns and studies me more closely. “What is it Caerwyn?” he asks seriously, concerned.


“Talmarik, we can’t keep meeting each other like this.”


“Why not?” He looks hurt as he asks.


I look away. “Because… I’m expecting pups.” I tell him reluctantly.


“Oh.” The defensive tone in his voice catches me off guard and I look up at him. The sudden hostility in his eyes has me concerned, but before I can voice my discomfort he speaks again. “Whose?” Just a single word, but it holds so much strength and emotion that it carries a lot of weight and I realize he thinks I have taken a mate in the pack.


I just roll my eyes at him, trying to break the tension. “I would have thought that answer would be obvious.” I muttered, looking pointedly at him, willing him to understand without me actually having to say it.


“Me?” He asks breathlessly. At my silent nod he leaps up and starts prancing happily. “But this is great Caerwyn! They’ll be great pups, as beautiful as their mother!”


“Don’t you get it?” I cut him off with a growl. By his reaction I can tell he doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about. “We have to stop seeing each other, for the safety of the pups! If the pack finds out that you were the father… it would be the pups getting hurt.”


“But they don’t have to find out so it doesn’t matter does it?” he asks softly, the pain at the thought of our separation apparent in his voice.


“This isn’t about us anymore Talmarik.” I counter. “It’s about the pups. We aren’t the only two who stand to be hurt here. You KNOW what the pack does to demonless wolves!” I can see the pain in his gaze as I remind him of painful memories, and with a twinge of guilt in my heart I know I have won the argument.


“You’re right, I do know.” He replies, his eyes cloudy as he watches a memory replay in his mind. “This won’t be the first time your pack has taken my family from me.” He chuckles darkly as bitterness clouds his gaze. I know how much it hurts him to admit it, as I only heard about the incident from him later. “Go then, if you must, just do me one favor”


“What is it?” I ask, a little on the defensive.


“Name one of the pups Cainu.” He told me, almost desperate now. “If I cannot know them, at least let me have some connection to them and let me name one.”


I nod gently to him and turn to leave. “Very well, I will name one of the pups Cainu. It’s the least I can give you.” I say to him without turning around. “Goodbye Talmarik. We shall not meet again.” At that I plunge forward into the darkness of the tunnel and even after the darkness has swallowed my form I can still feel his sharp gaze on me.


 


I return to the camp to find the pack awake and waiting for me. Filtiarn, the alpha, stands on his announcement stone where he can look over the pack. Inali, one of the scouts, stands next to the stone. I step forward, noticing how my packmates shy away from me. “Filtiarn, what is going on?” I ask, confused. I stand at the base of the stone, looking up at him as I wait for his reply.


“Caerwyn, I received a report tonight from Inali that you were seen meeting with a demonless wolf. And not only that, but she says that when she moved in closer to find out what you were saying, you told him that you were going to bear his pups. Is this true?


My blood runs cold as I realize that I had been followed. I glance at Inali, but her deep eyes betray no emotion as she gazes back at me. That’s the kind of wolf she is. She only cares about her job and is only loyal to the alpha. She would even betray her own pups if he asked her to. I sigh and look back up at Filtiarn as he waits for my reply. I know that there is no way to protect myself or my pups now. The truth is out, and I must deal with the consequences. My only hope is that if I’m open about it then the punishment might be lighter. “Yes, it is true.” I state calmly, not allowing my voice to betray me by shaking. “I will not deny it.”


At my words, Filtiarn leaps down from the rock and I am crushed by his weight as he pins me to the ground. I gasped for air as his weight constricted my lungs. Raising his head, he speaks. “My pack, you have witnessed her confession. Caerwyn has betrayed her pack and her position as Gamma. From this moment forward she is stripped of her rank. She will live as an Omega, and her pups as well. I will announce the new gamma tomorrow.” He pauses, looking down at me. I fight the urge to argue with him that the pups have committed no crime and look back up at him, tense, just in time to see his eyes change. They turn from their usual green to a pale ice blue, and I can feel the power flow through him as he merges with his demon. His fangs glow with an unearthly light as he bends down and slashes through my sigil, my mark of power granted to me by my demon, which is located on my shoulder. I yelp once at the sharp pain and then still my voice. I will not cry or show weakness in front of the pack. I can feel blood trickling through my fur, but still I do not struggle. I can feel the demonic energies embedded in the wound and know that I will be forever scarred. Raising his head, Filtiarn speaks again. “This wound will always mark you as the traitor you are.” He says loudly so the entire pack can hear. “No healer is allowed to treat it. You will endure the pain of it, without the assistance of the healing arts.” He pauses, letting his words sink in before stepping back and releasing me. “Pack dismissed!” he barks out before turning and padding over to his den to sleep. The rest of the pack follows his example and soon the camp is silent, the clearing empty except for me, still lying at the base of the announcement stone.


My name is Caerwyn and this is my pack, The Pack of the Hidden Springs. I am their Omega.



© 2016 Blue Jay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love wolves .....🤓 ;D lol

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
1 Review
Added on March 23, 2016
Last Updated on March 23, 2016


Author

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

NC



Writing
TSF Chapter 1 TSF Chapter 1

A Chapter by Blue Jay


TSF Chapter 2 TSF Chapter 2

A Chapter by Blue Jay


TSF Chapter 3 TSF Chapter 3

A Chapter by Blue Jay