The haircut

The haircut

A Story by Iris Moon
"

I wrote this a long time ago.. A sister does something nice.

"
Remy's fingers emerged easily through silky strands, stopping as they landed at the very ends.  The black hair was down to her waist.  She lifted a handful to her nose, softly inhaling the scent of strawberry.  Her hand came up underneath the hair, tracing the curve of her head.  She imagined the people in, "Coneheads," hoping her head was a decent shape.
  ..A bell dinged as Remy and her little sister Jade walked into the shop.  Jade scratched at her head, making her wiry blonde hair shift a little to the side.  Sharp fumes stung their nostrils making Remy's eyes twinge and a little cough sat in her throat as she attempted to smile back at the lady behind the counter.  The woman had platinum blonde hair teased high above her head.  Her white smile was huge, shining out from the red lipstick.  "Hi, my name is Linda how can I help you two today?"  She had an enthusiastic southern voice.  "Um," Remy paused and pulled on her necklace, "I want to get my head shaved." 
 ..Sitting down in the chair, Remy lifted her chin so Linda could wrap the cape around her.  It clung tightly around her neck as she pushed the snap together.  Remy glanced sideways, noticing another employee, a woman with a maroon pixie cut.  The woman flipped through a magazine, one leg crossed over the other continuously moving her foot around and smacking bubble gum.  Slow day.  Linda held the scissors up, "Ready sweet heart?" she asked Remy.  Remy looked into the mirror at herself, "Yeah, ready." She smiled for only a second and then watched as her locks were sliced off, the strands left falling against her cheeks.  Jade had gotten out of her chair and was completely entranced with the process.  After Linda had snipped off the hair she pulled out the razor.  The buzzing sound zipped through Remy's ears and she watched every tiny black piece disappear from her head.  "All done, honey." Linda said soon enough.  Remy pulled a hand from under the cape and moved it along her head, feeling the smoothness.  She got up taking off the choking cape, a playful smile on her lips as she looked down.  "What do you think Jade?"  Jade's round eyes watered as she wrapped her arms around her older sister.  
...Remy pulled the baseball cap off her head and scratched the tiny hairs that had grown back.  From the bench she watched Jade play tag with her friends.  As Jade ran, the raven black strands swished around her. 

© 2019 Iris Moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on June 28, 2019
Last Updated on June 28, 2019

Author

Iris Moon
Iris Moon

United Kingdom



About
I have always loved stories, words and characters-fiction and non fiction. So here I am. more..

Writing
Jump Jump

A Story by Iris Moon