Ten Richmen can change this world

Ten Richmen can change this world

A Story by Irshad
"

Lets make a change

"

Ten Richmen can change the world

At midnight 1:40 am,

                A pregnant lady was taken from the Mercedes Benz car to the hospital’s corridor. Few nurses and doctors were running behind the stretcher. A man in rich look with coat and suit was also running behind the stretcher. He looked more worried than others. He was allowed till at a certain point. The pregnant lady was taken into the ICU. The man did not know what to do. He called someone from his mobile. He was walking here and there. A nurse came from the ICU with a pad and papers in hand.

                “Excuse me Sir. Can I have the patient’s name please?”

                “Saradha”

                “May I know who are you?”

                “I am Manigandan, her husband.”

                “Thank you Sir. Could you please sign here?”

Manigandan signed in those places wherever he was asked.

                “Excuse me madam. Whats happening? How is she?”

                “The situation is a bit critical. Our doctors are working hard. We cannot say anything now. Hope everything will be alright.”

Manigandan was speechless. His eyes were filled with tears. He remembered the moments with his wife.

                “Dear, I think this is a boy!”

                “How do you know this honey?”

                “I don’t know. Its my instinct dear.”

                Then, I would like to name him as Rajkumar, my grandfather’s name” , he touched her swelled belly.

                “But I would like to name him as Kamal, my favourite hero!”

                “Honey. No fights. We will plan for the second as well”

                “Hey naughty!!!!!!!!!”

Manigandan just checked as no one was noticing him before wiping his tears. That was a well-structrued private hospital. Monsoon was at peak during that time. It was raining continously. Most of the places in the city was dark without electricity. But rich people never face electicity scarcity. That hospital had generator facility.

                An another high end car stopped in front of the hospital. A middle aged man got down from the car and ran towards Manigandan.

                “Hey Mani, What happened? You should have called me before.”

                “Irshad, I don’t know. I am very much scared.”

                “What about her  delivery date?”

                “December 6th” , his voice was breaking.

                “Today is October 28th. How is it possible! Don’t worry. Everything will be alright.”

                “Irshad, I am scared.”

                “Don’t worry. First relax. Everything will be alright. Calm down. First tell me what happened?”

                “I was in that monthly board meeting. I got a call from cook Susila that Saradha was suffering from pain. Immediately I took her here. I don’t know whats happening. I need her back. She is enough for me. I don’t want anthing.”

Irshad was trying to calm him down. But most of the times he failed. Irshad was the one and only manager of all Manigandan’s business and his best friend from his childhood. Both have the similar wavelength. Thats the reason they had been friends for so many years. Manigandan shares everything with Irshad. They always say that Ten Richmen can change this world” . But they never imagined this situation would happen in their life.

                Everything went smooth for Manigandan. Love with Saradha during his MBA, reached success milestone at every attempts in busines. But he never thought life would be so difficult than his business.

                Mani and Irshad were trying hard to know about the status of Saradha. But the doctors and nurses were very busy to answer. Finally, a lady doctor came out and walked towards them.

                “Manigandan?”

                “Yes, I am Manigandan. Whats happening? How is she?”, his voice was struggling.           

                “Sorry Mr. Manigandan. We were able to save only one life. We tried our best, but we couldn’t save her. Sorry. You have got a boy baby.”

Manigandan was not happy. His eyes was filled with tears. The tears restricted to come out. He was feeling that no one should face this situation.

                The baby was kept in incubator for 15 days. Mani and Irshad came to hospital to take the baby with them. The nurse handed over the baby to Mani. He smiled for the first time after Saradha’s death. Irshad slowly touched the baby’s soft finger.

                “He is so cute. Doesn’t he?”

Mani nodded his head. Irshad continued again.

                “He resembles Saradha. Isn’t it?”

Mani really did not know how to react with this baby. Irshad continued again.

                “Okay. What is his name?”

Mani stood silent for a minute. Many things went into his mind.

                'I would like to name him as Rajkumar.'

                'I would like to name him as Kamal'

Mani started speaking.

                KAMALRAJ “  (Kamal + Raj Kumar)

                “Mani, Nice name dude.”

Days passed by. Mani gave equal importance to his son as business. At that time he concentrated only on two things. Business & Kamalraj. He was enjoying at seeing the growth of his son. He believed Kamalraj will be the only hope of his business.


Kamalraj " At the age of 3 " First day to School,

                Mani stood in front of the school and looking at the corridor, where Kamal was pulled inside the class room as he cried too much. Irshad patted at Mani’s shoulder.

                “Mani. Lets leave. He will be okay.”

                “Irshad. He is the only hope of my business. I am afraid if he will be able to manage all my business.”

                “Hey dude. He has just joined LKG. Still lot more to go. He is your son. He will be definitely like you. Ten Richmen can change this world. He will be one of them.”

Time was running very fast. Mani was very keen that Kamal was getting the feel of a rich business man. He never allowed him to mingle with any low status people. Mani thought, this would make him to feel like a royal  personality.


Five calendars passed by.

Kamalraj " At the age of 8,

                Manigandan was reading a book and Kamal just arrived to his dad’s room after homework.

                “My dear son. Whats up? Done with your homework?”

                “No dad. Few things are pending.”

                “No my dear son. We should work hard to achieve our goal. We should not postpone our work. This is our main duty to be followed.”

                “Dad, please. I need one day rest.”

                “Kamal, what do I say always.”

                “Ten Richmen can change this world.......”, Kamal told with disinterest.

                “Dad, can I ask you one thing?”

                “Yes son”

                “Why do I need to work hard?”

                “Then only you can become rich!”

                “What will I do when I become rich?”

                “You can eat anything you want. You can buy anything you need. You can wear any dress you like.”

                “I have a doubt here dad”

                “Yes tell me son.”

                “Then, the farmers who prepare food, the people who manufacture the things I like, the people who design and prepare dresses are still poor. Why dad? What is the reason? If they are the creators of all these things we want, then why can’t they are rich? We expect things from them. But we are rich. What is the reason dad?”

Manigandan was speechless. He was not able to answer his questions. That night Manigandan and Irshad was having drink together. Mani looked worried and drank so much.

                “Hey Mani. What happened?” Irshad asked with a strange feel.

                “Irshad, the thing which I scared most seems to be happening.”

                “I don’t understand Mani. Tell me what exactly happened.”

                “My son Kamal has started thinking and speaking communism which I did not want to happen.”

Mani exclaimed everything to Irshad.    

                “hey dude, this is just a childish question. Don’t take it as serious.”

                “No Irshad. This feel will be most dangerous. I have heard that, communism is a feeling that comes from birth. No need of studying and reading. I am afraid that he is getting attracted towards it. This will spoil our business.”

                “Don’t imagine stupid things. He might have studied about farmers in schools. You don’t get confused. First stop drinking and lets go and sleep.”

Anyhow Irshad tried to convince Mani, but he was not get convinced. Mani was unhappy.


KamalRaj -  At the age of 18

                Kamal was enjoying his college days. He got everything what he wanted. He never asked anything to his father. Mani bought him everything before he asked. In spite of having everything, born with golden spoon, he was not happy. He felt like he was missing something in his life. Those days and the age made him to do some brave things. According to him, the brave things are the things which are away from his father’s knowledge.

                One of his friends had arranged a birthday party in a different way. They planned it to celebrate in the mid of the sea. Kamal thought his father would not allow him for this kind of party. So he decided not to tell his father about that.

                They arranged a fishermen boat with all equipments like stove, spices, stuffs,  plates etc. Three fishermen came with them to drive boat and fishing. That was a medium size motor boat. One fisherman was controlling the motor speed and direction. Two were getting ready with the nets. Kamal was sitting at one corner of the boat and looking at the sea. He looked very excited. The boat slowly detached from the shore and travelled towards the deep sea. The diesel motor drove the boat. Everyone was enjoying and screaming to show their happiness, but except Kamal. His eyes were widened and he was stunned completely. He experienced the beauty of mid sea for the first time. He was only used with business, economics, shares, artificial beauty. First time he was amazed by the nature, the real beauty. That afternoon bright blue sky, blue sea, the sound of water, the sea breeze made him to feel like he was in heaven. He wondered , how did his father didn’t show any kind of beauties like this. The up and down movement of the boat stopped his up and down movement of the thinking. The mind became very calm like the mid sea. His mind had gone to meditated state.He closed his eyes and began to feel the soul until a voice disturbed his meditation.

                “Sir, Boat ride for the first time??” , one fisherman stood behind with an innocent smile. Kamal realised himself and replied. His tone was very slow.

                “Yes Sir. Amazing”

The fisherman gave him the innocent smile again and replied,

 “You should not call me as Sir.”

Kamal was confused. After they reached a particular spot, they stopped the boat. The guy who was controlling the boat also joined with them and getting ready with the nets.

Kamal turned around. He did not find any land around him. Wherever he turned, it was complete blue. He did not know where they were, which direction they were facing. He wondered, how did they stop at the correct place without any technology. He thought this would really be a great trick than business. One of his friends asked the fisherman,

                “Why did we stop here?”

                One fisherman replied, “This is where we can get good and more fishes.”

                An another fisher man continued, “Fishing is a skill. Identifying the place is one of those skills. Only we know when and where we can get fish, prawn, crabs etc.”

They all together threw the big fishing net into the sea. Everyone was very keen in their way of fishing. Kamal was speechless. He thought it could be a magic.

                Few hours later, they caught different types of fishes and put inside the boat. They had got different varieties of fishes. One fisherman explained them about the variety of fishes.

                “This is 80 per kg. This is 120 per kg. This is 150 per kg. And this is a wonderful fish, but very costly. 300 per kg.”

When he told 300, his face looked very excited. Kamal was listening to everything. He wondered ‘Is 300 costly?’

That guy cleaned some fishes from 300 Rs category and applied spices to it. Everyone was looking at him how he was preparing. He served fishes to everyone. Kamal got his plate and smelled it first. “Heaven”. He tasted a small piece, the combination of skin and flesh, very well fried with spices. “More than a heaven”. Everyone felt it was delicious, no words to explain the feel. Traveling in the mid sea in fishermen boat and eating fresh fishes, a must experience for every human being. They were very happy of this party. Everyone was thanking the fishermen for this wonderful opportunity. Kamal looked different. He was thinking something. He was not normal. He did not know this first experience was going to change his life.

                They crossed a small vegetable market and walked towards the car parking. Shopkeepers were selling by shouting their prices. Kamal looked at them strange. He had experience of buying only on supermarkets. This way of selling looked different to him. He was slowly walking in the market by looking around. Everything was very strange to him.

                “Hey Kamal, come fast. Its already getting late.”

One of his friends pulled him. But the voices from the market were being recorded in his brain.

                “1 kg tomato 9 Rs. 1 kg onion 14 Rs. 1 kg ladies finger 18 Rs .........................”

Kamal was not looking normal after that. He did not speak with anyone. He was always thinking something. He was completely disturbed.

That night, 10 PM. Manigandan was getting ready for an important meeting. He hastily came to the dinning table. The cook lady was serving food to him.

                “Did Kamal have his dinner?”

                “No Sir, he told he is not hungry.”

                “What?”

Manigandan stood up and directly entered into Kamal’s room. The room was dark. But he was just lying on the bad and staring at the ceiling.

                “Son?”, Manigandan slowly whispered.

He corrected his throat and called again.

                “Son?”

Suddenly the light was switched on and Kamal got up from his bed.

                “Yes dad.”

                “Son. Are you okay? Any problem with your health? Can I call the doctor?”

Manigandan was analysing his health by touching Kamal’s forehead.

                “No dad. I am okay.”

                “You didn’t have your dinner? What happened son?”

                “Nothing dad”

Mani understood he was not normal. He was looking at his son for sometime.Kamal spoke,

”I want to sleep dad.”

“Oh ok son. You carry on. Take care. Call me if you need anything.”

Manigandan left the room and stood it in front of the room for a moment and started walking towards the hall. He took his briefcase and leaving to the Portigo. On his way, cook Susila asked,

                “Sir, Dinner?”

                “Sorry Susila. I am also not hungry!”

Susila looked at him with surprise. Mani was not happy by thinking of his son. Kamal was everything to him.

Two days passed by. Mani noticed Kamal was in some trouble. He was not normal. He was struggling with his mind. But he couldn’t find what was that.


Mani was reading some documents in his laptop in his room.

                “Dad.”, Kamal was standing in front of his room. Mani suddenly removed his reading glass. He was happy.

                “Son. What a surprise. Come in dear.”

Kamal just entered in and asked,

                “Dad, if you don’t mind, can we go for a drive?”

                “sure.... sure son. Give me 5 minutes. I will dress up and come.”

Mani got ready very fast and came out of the room.      

                “Hey Ravi. Get ready with the car.”, Mani shouted.

                “Dad, can we both go alone? Can you drive?”

                “Sure son. With pleasure. Ravi, you are not required. Get me the keys please.”

Mani looked very happy. After a very long days he got some time to spend with his son. Mani was driving the car, Kamal was sitting beside.

                “Yes son. Whats up? How is all going?”  

                “Going good dad”

                “Can we go to our club?”

                “No dad. Stop here.”

The car stopped in front of the super market.

                “Supermarket??”, Mani was puzzled.

                “Yes dad. I want to purchase something”

                “ok. Fine”

Both of them got down from the car and entered inside. Kamal was just walking and looking at all the sections. The super market was well structured and well arranged. Kamal was noticing all the things and prices. But few information disturbed him and not synchronised with some information, which already stored in his brain.

                Tomato 1 kg 20 Rs. Onion 1 kg  25 Rs.’

                “What do you want to buy son?”, Mani asked.

                “I am just looking dad”

Kamal replied. Mani was confused. They came near raw meat and fish section. Kamal noticed, the same variety of fish which they had during that birthday party was available. He checked the price. ‘600 Rs per kg’. Kamal was shocked. He didn’t understand the logic involved.

                “Dad, we can go home now”

                “You didn’t purchase anything!”

                “No dad. I got it. It was already there with me.”

Mani was puzzled. They left from the supermarket and traveled towards the home.

                 “Dad. Can I ask you something?”

                “Yes son”

                “Are these suppliers to the super market very rich like us? Like the owner of this super market?”

                “May be son. But some intelligent people involved in the middle. They are called distributors. They are business men like us. Without them selling is not possible. They are responsible for everything like transferring of goods from farmers or manufacturers to the retailers. Son. This is basic of business. You should know these basic kind of stuffs. Am I clear son”

                “Dad. This is my doubt dad”

Mani was keen in his son’s reaction.

                “Yes son. Whats that son?”

Kamal cleared his throat and started again.

                “Dad. Farmers, workers, daily wagers are responsible for creating and manufacturing things. They put their hard work, shed their blood and waited long days to prepare things. They are the creators. But they are not rich. These distributors, retailers are just doing transportation. They are rich. How it could be dad. Something is wrong right?”

Mani was shocked and stunned. He couldn’t speak. He was just staring at his son.

                “Dad, Why!......... Why is it happening?”

Mani realised himself and spoke,

                “Son. It has to be. We cannot run a successful retailing without this kind of business. Son, I am not saying creators are not important. I am telling there are other people who are more important than them. It has to be, my dear son”

                “If creators should have to be poor, then the greatest creator, The God, he is poor dad??”

Mani was shocked. He couldn’t answer for this question.

                “Son, not like that. If this world has to run smooth, this is the procedure, this is the model, this is the protocol we should follow.”

Kamal was not convinced. Mani started speaking again.

                “Son, you should understand one thing always. Ten Richmen can change this world.”

Both of them reached home.

                “Kamal, Good night. Take rest. Don’t confuse yourself.”

                “Good night dad”

Mani couldn’t sleep that night. He was thinking about his son. It was happening which he didn’t want to happen, which he was scared of.

                Next night, Mani met Irshad in his private club.

                “Hey Mani,  whats  up. Why did you call me this time?”

Mani’s eyes were red. It showed that he didn’t sleep last night.

                “Irshad, Its happening which I am scared of. My ambition, my dream is not gonna happen”

Irshad looked at him confused. He pressed Mani’s shoulder.

                “Mani, What happen? I haven’t seen you like this. I am afraid. Please first stop drinking. Lets go home and speak.”

                “No Irshad. My son, My dear son, My only hope is behaving different. I did everything for him. Each and every second, I made him to feel like a rich business man. But he is speaking communism. If he feels like this, how could he be a great business man, how would he satisfy my dream. I am very scared of him Irshad. I don’t know what to do”

Mani looked very worried. His eyes were filled with tears. Irshad didn’t know how to console him. Mani was drunk too. Irshad took him to his home and comfort him in his bed. While Irshad was leaving the room, Mani was blabbering in half-conscious, “I have lost my dream. My hope is gone.”

Next day  morning, Kamal woke up early as he heard many voices inside the house. He slowly got up from the bed and looked at the mirror just in front of the cot. He noticed that his eyes were red. Someone knocked at his door. Kamal slowly walked and opened the door. The cook Susila was standing. She looked very shocked and tears were running down her cheeks. He could feel some strange feel inside. Susila spoke,

                “Sir, your dad......”, she couldn’t control her tears, she started crying,

                “your dad passed away...”, tears were coming continuously.

Kamal was extremely shocked. His heartbeat stopped for a second. His throat had become dried and was not interested to vibrate. He felt something got struck in the middle of his throat. He couldn’t swallow. Kamal’s only world, the only relation, the only light is no more now.

One week passed by, Kamal did not come out of his room. He was only staring at the books, which was given by his dad. ‘Democracy’, ‘Freakonomics’, ‘Confessions of an Economic hit man’.

                “Kamal, May I?” , Kamal turned towards the entrance of his room, where the voice came from. Irshad was standing there. Kamal suddenly got up from his bed.

                “Yeah uncle, come in. I am sorry I didn’t notice.”

                “Son, Everything will be alright. Your father is always with you. I understand, loosing our father at the age of 19 is extreme pain. But life has to move on. You have to carry your dads’s dream with you. He believed on you. You are his hope. He wanted you to take forward the business towards the greatest extent. This is your dad’s wish.”

Kamal did not know what to answer for this. Irshad continued again,

                “Don’t worry son. I will be with you always until you will get the complete business in hand. Moreover you dad will be always with you and guide you. Keep your dad’s words always in mind. ‘Ten Richmen can change this world’ . Tomorrow I have arranged a board meeting. All stake holders will be coming. And you are gonna take your dad’s responsibility tomorrow. Be ready son. I will be with you always.”, Kamal just gave him a blank stare.


It is very rare to have this kind of meeting for an organisation. This kind of meeting would be conducted during very important situation. It was about the current situation and upcoming changes of this company after Mani’s death.

All stake holders, important managers, Department heads were assembled in a big round table. Everyone was discussing about the current situation among themselves. Their whispering discussion seemed like that the meeting room like a silent market.

                “It seems Mani’s son Kamal is gonna take over the position”, one guy said.

                “I heard that he doesn’t know the current business strategies”, another guy said.

                “Irshad is very lucky. Indirectly he would be the Managing Director.”

                “I don’t think it is gonna work out. I think it is the time we could come out and start our new dream.”

Whispering sounds spread all over the room until Kamal and Irshad stepped in. Everyone looked at Kamal. Their looks meant that a 19 years old guy was going to run a big organisation. Kamal occupied the MD seat which located at one corner of the table and Irshad seated at his beside. The room was in pin drop silence. Everyone was expecting that Kamal would start, including Irshad. Finally Irshad broke the silence.

                “Good Morning all gentlemen. As we all know, our Managing Director, an intelligent business man, Manigandan, who brought this company to this level has passed away unfortunately. Our deep condolences to his family. May his soul Rest In Peace. Can we have a two minutes silence prayer for his soul?”

Everyone closed their eyes and prayed for his soul. Irshad continued

                “Thank you gentlemen. So our company needs a new Managing Director. As Kamal is the only heir, he is considered as the only hope of this organisation. So gentlemen, Kamal would be the new Managing Director of this organisation.”

Kamal was just staring at the table. He didn’t give any reactions for this. He didn’t face the people also. Irshad continued again.

                “As Kamal is just 19 years old. I believe he is not ready to take over the complete responsibilities. So we should help him until he gets the business in hands. So I would be with him in all his important decision until he gets the complete understanding.”

Everyone looked at him without any reactions.

                “Gentlemen, what do you say?”, Irshad asked

They discussed among themselves and one middle-aged man started to speak.

                “As of now, for Manigandan we agree with this decision.”

                “Thank you gentlemen. We will be undergoing some changes this month. So every week we should have a board meeting like this. This would also help Mr.Kamal to get through all. Kamal, anything you would like to speak?”

Till that, Kamal was just staring at the table. After Irshad pronounced his name, he looked at everyone and said,

                “No....No..... Nothing. Thanks”. The blank stare at the table continued.

Days passed by,  Kamal visited almost all factories, offices during these days. Irshad was with him all the time explaining him the process and high level of their business. As Irshad said, board meeting happened on every Friday. Kamal didn’t speak in any of that meetings. Irshad was speaking on his behalf. Everyone was expecting Kamal would speak something during the meetings. But he maintained silence all the time. Irshad convinced him a lot.

                “Dear Kamal,  Your father’s loss is very paining I accept. But life has to move on. Your father’s dream is on your shoulders. You have to move ahead. If you are like this, it would be very difficult my son.”

Irshad looked into Kamal’s eyes. Kamal didn’t respond to his question.

                “Uncle, as you told please send me the layout documents. I will go through it.”

Kamal left the place. Irshad just looked at him going. He didn’t know how to console him and to get him into business.


That was the final board meeting of their plan. All of them assembled in the round table. Whispering voices spread all over the board room.

                “Company’s revenue is going down after Mani’s death”

                “I told you right. This is the correct time we should start our own.”

                “Kamal does not know how to speak. I am wondering how would he run this big business”

As usual, the room had become silent when Irshad and Kamal stepped in. Without any hesitation Irshad started to speak. He might have thought Kamal would remain silent.

                “Dear gentlemen, as discussed, this would be our last board meeting of this season. So many things have been discussed like changes, enhancements, polices. It is being taken care.” 

Irshad noticed everyone was not happy with the current situation. He started again.

                “I understand. Company’s current situation is not promising. We have to bring it back. Mani had brought this company to such a kind of position. At least for him, we should work hard to bring it back.”

Irshad was giving a positive speech and telling about the positive things happening in the company. The board room was in pin-drop silence when Irshad stopped his speech. During this entire meeting Kamal was just staring at the table as he did in all the board meetings. First time in that meeting, Kamal lifted his head up.

                “Mr.Irshad, Let me speak today.”

Everyone was shockingly looked at Kamal including Irshad. No one expected this.

                “Good Evening all. I am very sorry for not speaking in the last meetings. Actually I had nothing to speak about. But today I have something important to discuss. I would like to bring few changes to our retailing business.”

Everyone looked at each other with surprise Kamal continued again.

                “We will be directly buying goods from manufacturers, I mean farmers and small scale manufacturers. We will buy from them and sell it. Hereafter we don’t need any distributors help. And we are going to buy things for 90 percent of our MRP from farmers. For example, if market price for rice is 40Rs per kg, then our buying price from farmers would be 38Rs per kg. There will be no changes in our MRP. So customers would not be affected. This price structure would be applicable to all necessary and critical goods,”

Everyone were surprised and puzzled. They started discussing among themselves. That room looked like a market. Suddenly Irshad interrupted.

                “Silence gentlemen. Please.”

He was also shocked,

                “Kamal, what are you speaking. This is ridiculous. It won’t work. There will be no revenues if we do like this. We will be hit with a heavy loss. Don’t you think.”

Kamal replied,”No uncle. It will work for sure. In order to compromise, we can increase the price of our cosmetic products. We have a brand name. People with money don’t look at price. They only look at brand. It will work. Also all farmers, small scale manufacturers would directly come to us. Our revenue would be increased. Uncle, please. I believe this would work out. Let us try this. Please.”

Irshad was in extreme shock. He thought the words of Mani.

                'Its happening which I am scared of. Kamal is speaking communism'

Irshad did not know what to say. He was stunned by his decision. He slowly spoke.

                “I agree with Kamal and let us try to implement this”

Many people disagreed and very few agreed. But Kamal’s decision stood strong.


Kamal’s idea was working out. First he got some opposition from the distributors. But all farmers, small scale manufacturers approached them to sell their goods. Due to rise in cosmetic products, company faced slight deviation in the revenue. But other things compromised this. Kamal’s idea was slowly spread all over the country and had a great response.


Kamal was researching something in the laptop in this MD room.

                “Sir, May I come in?”

Kamal looked at the entrance where the sound came from. Irshad was standing there with a smile.

                “Uncle, what is this formality. Come in please”

Kamal stood up and invited him with a smile. Irshad gave him a file of some hardcopies.               

                “What is this uncle?”, Kamal asked by looking at the file.

                “We use to care our premium customers in regular basis. This is the budget designed for the party, celebration, gifts to them. Everything is in the file. You may just look at this if you wish. Your father is very conscious about this.”

                “Thats awesome”, Kamal was happily got the document from him. He read the budget and suddenly his reactions changed.

                “Uncle. What is this? Are we spending his much money only for partying and celebration?”

                “Kamal. They  are our premium customers”, Irshad told.

Kamal was thinking for a minute. Irshad was waiting for his response.

                “Uncle. Fine. We can do this for our premium customers. But this budget is too much. Why don’t we care for our premium suppliers too. Suppliers are equally important as customers. Am I correct uncle?”, Kamal asked.

                “Son.. Yes...... You are right. But I am thinking how..........”

Kamal interrupted and spoke,

                “We can do something useful for our premium suppliers right? We are doing this once in a year. As a sort of thanksgiving, we can provide them something useful. Like, we can provide some quality fishing nets to the fishermen, tractors, pesticides to the farmers, Servicing the equipments on our small scale industrial suppliers. We have so many options like that. And uncle, I bet definitely this would cost less than 50% of what we are spending for our customers” , Kamal was excited in speaking these ideas.

Irshad was shocked. He couldn’t blink his eyes too. He didn’t expect that Kamal would speak like this. He was really surprised by these ideas. He had been spending years with this company. But he didn’t come across with this idea. He did not know to react for his idea. Kamal continued.

                “Uncle, what do you say?”

                “Yeah,, yeah.... Its wonderful. Actually I was just stunned. Sure, I will speak with our manager regarding this”, Irshad replied.

                “Thank you uncle”

Irshad slowly walked till the entrance of the room and turned back.

                “Kamal, you are gonna be the best.”


As Kamal suggested, they implemented that idea. Farmers, fishermen and small scale manufacturers became very happy. Kamal’s name were frequently coming in all the important magazines of the country.


Days passed by, Business was also growing day by day. One day Kamal had arranged a meeting with his R & D team. All of them were surprised by this sudden call. Irshad also did not understand the purpose of this meeting. Everyone assembled in that meeting room. As usual Kamal and Irshad were sitting at one corner of the table. R & D department head and chief researchers were assembled there.

Irshad slowly whispered in Kamal’s ears.              

                “Son, What is this for?”

Kamal gave him a smile, corrected his throat and started speaking.

                “Good Morning everybody. First, I would like to thank everyone for supporting us for these many years. But still we have to achieve so many things going forward. So gentlemen, can you please elaborate us on our current research and how it is going!”

Everyone waited for few seconds if someone would start. Finally one middle aged gentleman started to speak.

                “Hi Kamal. I am from cosmetic R & D team. Currently we are working on the hair fall solution. We are researching on some herbal and ayurvedic area, which would fight against the hair loss. For this, our scientists are currently under research on some herbal plants found around Amazon, South America. If we will solve this solution, then we can easily conquer the hair oil department in the market.”

After this, few of them told that they were under research like new technology in trimming machine, washing machine and also in cockroach killing chemicals. Kamal was patiently listening their researches. After they stopped, Kamal just smiled at them and started to speak.

                “First of all, I would like to congratulate and thank you for all your researches on several areas. But, I am thinking that, can we stop these researches for sometime and concentrate on some other researches, which would be more useful than this?”

No one there knew what is that about. Everyone looked at him in surprise. Kamal continued.

                “I am seeing everywhere that there is only manual sewage cleaning system. So I am just thinking why can’t we find a business with government in implementing an automatic sewage cleaning system using a machine. I believe our R & D team is very intelligent than anyone else. I appreciate your researches on hair oil, trimming machine, washing machine and all. But can we all work together to implement a complete automatic sewage cleaning system?”

Everyone exchanged their looks with each other. Kamal continued again,

                “I will work on government’s approval and subsidy on that. All I need is your extra efforts to complete this automatic sewage cleaning system within 2 months. I will help you in all things that you need.”

Kamal looked at everyone and seeking for a reply. After some seconds of silence, Irshad interrupted.

                “Kamal, I think, this time your plan will not work out. It has a big flaw.”

Kamal turned towards Irshad in confusion and Irshad continued again.

                “We have decided this plan in order to help the sewage cleaning labourers. Am I right Kamal? Yeah... Of course, this would help. But if machine will start doing this, then don’t you think those people will be unemployed? Those people know only this job Kamal. If this machine steals their job, where would they go? I think its a very bad idea.”

Kamal just gave him a soft smile, “Mr. Irshad. This thought came into my mind too and I have a plan for it. We should need persons to maintain, operate, clean  and servicing the machine in regular basis. I am thinking to train them and assign them for these purposes.”

Irshad interrupted again, “Are you sure about they will be able to get the training and work accordingly? They are illiterates. They know just to read and write. Nothing else. They don’t know the basics of science also. Will this be possible Kamal?”

Kamal again smiled and talked,

                “Mr. Irshad. You know what? The world’s first scientist was an illiterate.”


Few days later,

Monsoon was at peak in chennai. It was heavily raining days and nights. All roads are flooded and heavy traffic covered all over the city. Though, many people were in their routine machine life. Going to office, working for some foreign banks, insurance organisation, wherein here, the government was not able to insure on poor people.

Irshad was angry, “Kamal, I am telling you for the 100th time. Please don’t go out today. It is heavily raining outside and heavy traffic outside. The weather report is very bad.”

Kamal was listening everything and parallely he was arranging all the documents in his small briefcase.

                “Uncle, I have got an appointment today with the home minister. I may not get this back. I think you know this is very very important. I should go. Without his approval, we cannot implement automatic sewage cleaning system.”

Kamal closed his briefcase and left that place.

                “Kamal, listen to my words”, Irshad shouted.

Both Kamal and Irshad did not notice the flash news displayed in the TV

                As unexpected storm will hit the shore of Chennai today. It seems the world’s largest storm ever’

Emergency Response team and Chennai Police department were announcing people to stay in some safe places as some unexpected storm may hit. It was raining continuously and the complete city was in heavy traffic jam. Kamal’s car was struck in the middle of the traffic.           

                “Sir, I think we cannot move”, the driver told.

Kamal did not know what to do. He was just looking at the front to get to know if any signs of traffic clearance. Some business people, IT professionals were walking on the pavements, as the complete city was struck in traffic.

In that heavy rain, an old man was sitting in the pavement covered his head and body with a big polythene carry bag. He was polishing the people’s shoes by taking 5 Rs from them. Since it was a rainy day, people got their shoes dirt. So they polished it before getting into their office. There is a small wooden desk in front of that old man. People placed their feet on the desk and he would polish it. Most of the time, when they placed their feet on the desk, the wet mud, dirty water got sprinkled over the old man’s face. The old man did not mind anything. He was just concentrating in polishing.

Kamal looked at his watch. It was getting late for the meeting with the home minister. He decided to walk since he was just 1 km away from the destination. He removed this coat and wore a jacket instead. Kamal got down from the car even though driver advised not to get down. Once he got down, he noticed his shoes got dirt. Kamal looked around and noticed the old man as polishing in the pavement. He walked fast to the pavement and stood in front of the desk. The old man was expecting that he would keep his feet on the desk, so that he can polish it. But Kamal did not do that. He removed the shoes from his feet and kept it on the desk to polish. Old man looked at him in surprise. He had never seen this kind of incident in his 40 years of experience. He polished it neatly and Kamal gave him 50 Rs.

Suddenly the force of wind had become heavy. People were scattering here and there. Heavy wind and rain got mixed and Kamal was not able to see anything there. He could notice that everyone was scattering here and there to hide in some safe places. Trees, Electric posts started to fall down on the cars. The power of wind was getting heavier than before. Kamal felt the level of water beneath his feet kept on increasing. But the rise of water level was increasing very fast. Later he realised, sea water was coming in. Cars and bikes started floating in the water, as water level kept on increasing. Sea water was continuously coming in until the heavy storm slowed down. The water level raised above Kamal’s chest. He was scared and trying to hold something, but nothing helped him out. Suddenly the sea water started draining. Everything was pulled towards the sea. Now the stream of water got increased abruptly. Kamal was also pulled towards the sea very fast. He lost his control and rolling on the water. He saw a big tree standing on the way and he tried to catch the branch of the tree. Somehow he caught one and climbed above the branch. He was breathing heavily. He saw water was draining out into the sea by pulling all the things from the city. He wondered that he got escaped from the disaster. He also noticed that the old man was also pulling towards the sea and he was screaming for help. Kamal suddenly bent down, hold the branch with one hand and stretched his other hand for the old man to climb up.

                “Come on, come on. Hold it.....”, Kamal shouted.

The force of water was very strong. The old man was not able to concentrate. He started to spin because of that force. Kamal was almost hanging with one hand to catch the old man’s hand. But the old man was not in a position to hold Kamal’s hand. Kamal was concentrating heavily to locate the hands of that spinning old man. The old man came very near. Kamal widened his eyes, concentrating only on old man’s left hand. He was hanging in the branch with one hand and the other hand was stretching to catch the old man’s left hand. Finally Kamal got the old man’s left hand and holding very firmly. At that moment, Kamal thought,

                ‘Dad you are correct. Ten Richmen can change this world. I am one of them’

The End

© 2014 Irshad


Author's Note

Irshad
This story was written during 2013 and due to some issues I am publishing it a bit late

Please ignore grammar problems.
I would say this is an experimental attempt to convey my thoughts with you. I feel it would be better if it happens. Please don't expect my usual fast moving plot. It is a slightly slow moving plot, but with essential modifications in our faulty society

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

403 Views
Added on December 16, 2014
Last Updated on December 17, 2014
Tags: short story, story by Irshad, Irshad story

Author

Irshad
Irshad

Writing
Haunted Dreams Haunted Dreams

A Chapter by Irshad


The Third Empire The Third Empire

A Chapter by Irshad


I Quit I Quit

A Chapter by Irshad