Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day

A Poem by J. Hampton
"

some foolery in response to a writing prompt about the days of the week...lol not solid on the title ( I'd love ideas)

"
Monday-- is chaos ... letting herself in with a key at an ungodly hour.
She comes ambling into my bedroom like a college freshman home on break ;complete with piles of laundry, a list of rides needed, to dos and unfinished she-didn'ts- to be done. Grinning  she skips off ,and I'm exhausted by all she's left looming in her wake. I hate that b.

Tuesday-- strolls along with the demanding momentum of Monday but a lighter step . Like a partly sunny day with clouds that come and go, leaving us unsure whether to unpack the picnic or run for cover.

Wednesday --feels like a canceled meeting halfway through the day.
A relief but not enough to bail for home. He's like that attractive guy that asks you a bevy of personal questions... up to and including "do you have plans for the weekend ?" Yet falls slightly short of asking for your number after you are melted in your chair.

Thursday-- leaves me balanced between giving my pile of mail a constant measuring side eye ... sure that it's gone down when I looked away at some point and  and eavesdropping on all I can.
A bit wiser for Wednesday's fruitless tease I decide to shift my focus to the clock and click my pen in time with the second-hand .

Friday-- like a text from my bff saying she's in town and has tickets to that play I've been dying to see that was sold out.
She's in the lobby and ... oh... she made reservations at my favorite Tappas bar for dinner and she's buying !
-but we have to be there by 4:00! and my inbox isn't going to make that a reality. I open my right hand desk drawer and tip it in; making sure to brush the crumbs of the week onto the floor before my scamper to the Time clock .

Saturday-- like a patient lover ;strokes it's hand gently stirring me serenely awake from my perfect rest. Like the smell of fresh brewed coffee and bacon eventually it compels me to get up. Our date ... Saturday and I... is over too soon .
and  so abruptly !
surely there's a glass slipper to remember it by? until we meet again.

Sunday --fuels a fire in my chest with a Glory and love for my Heavenly Father ... a gratefulness and praise fill me .... but Sunday too slips by at seven times the speed of the days before.
My joy lodges in my throat.
I spit out a crumpled schedule to prepare myself for my College freshman who will soon be home .
Better get it done and hunker down for a few winks while I can.She has a key and Mondays list is never done.

© 2017 J. Hampton


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You go soooooooooooooo well with coffee AND Monday mornings...

Posted 5 Years Ago


Groundhog Day - a premise - everyday is different and yet each ends to rebegin - over and unendingly over until day's end. Actors get paid and we ALWAYS pay the price of admission.

Posted 6 Years Ago


J. Hampton

6 Years Ago

Yes sir...how very well put
Chris

6 Years Ago

Good morning... great coffee. Good company...
you are brilliant, beautiful and wise

your words are life itself

Posted 6 Years Ago


J. Hampton

6 Years Ago

xo hardly Emily...yet I humbly thank you
I love this, so real and clever. It has this distinct personality that is so evident. And of course, the loop is super neato.

Posted 6 Years Ago


J. Hampton

6 Years Ago

Thanks I appreciate
Can I say OMG? this is amazing. How can anyone not relate to this. A job well done, please keep writing.Sunday and Monday, those are definitely me. Awesome!

Posted 6 Years Ago


J. Hampton

6 Years Ago

lol thanks... appreciate you commenting and reading
Love this! Your analogies in describing each day are perfect! It made me smile and nod right along with the read. Cheers!

Posted 6 Years Ago


J. Hampton

6 Years Ago

thanks very much
it was a fun prompt
I smiled quite a few times as I read this one. Monday...I hate her too. (laughing) Friday is like "BAR THE DOOR KATY!" Something from a western I watched years ago. I like your spin on the days of the week though. Here's to this one getting closer to Friday.

Posted 6 Years Ago


J. Hampton

6 Years Ago

"BAR THE DOOR KATY" LOL
weird but fun prompt
thanks Fabian as always

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

480 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 29, 2017
Last Updated on November 29, 2017
Tags: Mondays, humpday, weekend, work, office, boredom, stress, fun


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..