Leave it to the Professionals

Leave it to the Professionals

A Story by Kelli April
"

A short commentary about the reaction I had when my Composition Professor asked if I have ever thought of becoming an English teacher. Just a little sarcastic humor with some nice, proper language.

"
When your Composition professor asks if you’ve ever considered becoming an English teacher. My assumptions precede that one must harbor exceptional capabilities toward the subject in its entirety, as to ensure mass distribution of knowledge-like an unstoppable infectious disease-to the rapidly maturing brains of today’s students, but also future generations of students to come. Internally, however, I accept the realization that I do not possess the necessary academic arsenal to uphold such an imperatively dire mission. Simply because comma splices are considerably tricky to avoid-let alone eliminate-especially in my personal writing endeavors lol. I also use semi-colons incorrectly, along with countless other questionable mechanics one must comprehend with ease. Teachers/professors are professionals with whom parents place extreme, sometimes unrealistic expectations upon students and their achievements and successes or lack thereof. This leads to my humble conclusion that to assign such an effort to anyone with limited abilities (such as myself) would permit a complete dissipation of the core fundamentals of English and all it has contributed throughout history. The future of English, and its abundant array of heavily related co-subjects, would be unrecognizable under my unskilled eye. Let’s leave this one to the professionals, shall we?

© 2018 Kelli April


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sometimes I surprise myself, but not often enough. Everything we have been exposed to in life is part of our psyche and will influence our talent. My motto is "pleasing to the eye" and "tender to the soul". Amen Pat

Posted 6 Years Ago


Beg to differ- the way it goes with some teachers out there to say I’d say you’re be able to do a better job than some- professional is a word some people don’t even know how to spell- 🌹

Posted 6 Years Ago


'Leave it to the professionals' is a good poem, I can tell, from beginning to end.

Posted 6 Years Ago


ZakLeonRamsey

6 Years Ago

Oh yeah, sorry. I'm not really much of a professional at knowing these sort of things, I'm embarassi.. read more
Kelli April

6 Years Ago

No apologies needed! 😊 I didn’t mean to come across as rude, so I extend my sincerest apologies.. read more
ZakLeonRamsey

6 Years Ago

Oh no, you are not offending me, don't worry, but I just feel a little unprofessional when I don't k.. read more
I can relate to this piece, Kelli.

I had a similar experience in my schooling days; a head teacher of English and Literature predicted that i would become a writer beyond my schooling days. Of course, at the time it was laughed off. I knew i could write okay. I had imagination. I knew the fundamentals of writing and language pretty well. But i never considered myself even worthy of being uttered in the same sentence as "writer".

I have discovered that we as writers and poets are always filled with doubt. Our efforts are never good enough in our own eyes. Regardless of the positive reactions to them by others. The way i see it, that professor has seen something in you that you can not see in yourself. Self belief is a powerful tool. Perhaps it is time to forget about misplacing semi colons and commas (we all do that incorrectly at times!) and place some faith in your own knowledge and abilities. You might just surprise yourself!

I enjoyed this write. One that would be relatable to many of us self-suffering poets and writers. An excellent musing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Doodley

6 Years Ago

Hobbies become professions. And practice makes perfect.
Kelli April

6 Years Ago

Where does a person even start with a book idea?
Doodley

6 Years Ago

Where Willy Wonka suggested......"in a world of pure imagination".

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 10, 2018
Last Updated on March 10, 2018

Author

Kelli April
Kelli April

MN



About
I am a 32-year-old college student. I love to write. I am currently pursuing a Nursing degree, but my love will always reside within writing. Prior to enrolling in Higher Education, the last time I at.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


the seed the seed

A Poem by lightsong