Another excerpt

Another excerpt

A Story by John Knowles
"

From the same story.

"

 “Apparently not.” She says with a hint of a smile around her lips and her hands on the table. I cannot take my eyes off of them, her hands. Back and forth, back and forth. She gestures a lot when she talks. I mill a few more things in my mind before I decide to speak again. I concentrate on the left hand, knocking the ashes off of a Chesterfield king into the cracked overfilling ashtray. The right, holding a heavy bottomed glass filled with tequila, not mixed with anything. I notice her chipped black nail polish. A scar on the top of her left hand with it’s slightly crooked pinkie. I stare into my own glass of Gin and watch its contents as I swirl it around. Seth's got his arms crossed and he’s fidgeting. He’ll get up and pace around soon.

© 2011 John Knowles


Author's Note

John Knowles
I know this doesn't have any context. I'm looking for comments on my description and flow of words

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it. I find the description really good and the flow very even. "I mill a few more things in my mind" when you say "mill", do you mean "mull"?
This short story is nice. It painted a very vivid picture in my mind, even though there isn't much written. Now I'm curious as to whether or not Seth gets up and paces around.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 24, 2011
Last Updated on February 24, 2011

Author

John Knowles
John Knowles

St. Louis, MO



About
Hi. I'm John Knowles, but not that guy who wrote a Separate Peace, a different John Knowles. I write a variety of different things. Mostly poetry, lyrics and short fiction more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by John Knowles


Two Two

A Chapter by John Knowles


three three

A Chapter by John Knowles