Zachania Tome III

Zachania Tome III

A Chapter by Joseph Gaines

 

There was a weary and troubled look on the brow of Grarlin; he stood hunched as he listened to the tribal leaders arguing amongst themselves, his usual assertive self was replaced with a look of exhaustion as he tried to take stock of the situation he had now found himself in.

Degrainia the capital city of Degrain was a town under siege, there was panic in the air as everyone feared the imminent onslaught of the Zachanians.

Baron Gragu the tenth Luid of the ancient Tockla tribe was shouting angrily at his men, he was enraged with what was transpiring in Degrain and furious at Grarlin and the Empire for their lack of assistance.

“Why does the emperor delay?.... Does he want Degrain to fall?” He yelled loudly at Grarlin who just sat down amongst all the bickering.

“Of course it's not what we want, I am here to prove this and what do I find?.... I find a town gripped with panic and despair.”

“You confuse panic with anger Grarlin, where is the help we were promised?...Over half this sacred land is now under control of the wretched Zachanians… when is this help arriving… When will you aid us. When we are all without breath and crushed into the dirt?”

Grarlin bit his lip and looked down at his feet trying to calm himself from the angry manner he had just been spoken to, a moment later after a long breath he replied to the Baron.

“We have already taken steps to save Degrainia, you must trust me on this, Degrainia will be safe.”

“How are we safe? You came alone Grarlin, where is your army?...The Zachanians are in the hills breathing the same Degrainia air as us and alone we still stand, waiting for the attack!”

“You must not worry Gragu, have trust in your emperor, he has not abandoned you.”

“Shall I tell that to the towns of Harloom and Doofra?.... They too trusted the emperor; they waited for help as the Zachanians breached their walls and murdered them in their homes. What shall we say to them?”

Grarlin suddenly jumped up from his chair, Baron Gragu’s constant shouting had now stretched his patience too far.

“BE SILENT!.....ACT as a leader and remember the heritage you stem from!....I came here to help you fight!....All I have found is a group of fat Degrainians scared that they might miss their next meal. So you are under attack, so you have lost lives, well so have we.

We have been fighting the Zachanians for the past year!.....Enough of you winging Gragu, ready your army and prepare for battle.”

“We will fight Grarlin, we will fight them to the last man, but what shall we do with the one they call Talon, he fights with the gods on his side, in his hand he carries the sword of Apollo so how do we fight such divineness’?”

 

Lord Heikan allowed himself a confident smile as he knelt down to grab a handful of Degrainian dirt, he raised his hand to his nose, smelt it then threw it back onto the ground. It had been a long and exhausting month of battle in this far off land but he could feel that it was coming to an end.

He slowly rose to his feet and looked down into the valley where the vast Zachanian army were camped, he smiled again as the pride sent a shiver down his spine, he felt more alive than ever before. He thought of how the people back home would be talking about them, and how they would be forever named as heroes for conquering Degrain.

 

The sun was setting over the mountains in the distance, a time of the day when everyone felt relief for a few hours as the scorching Degrain sun gave way to the coolness of the night.

Heikan looked down at the leader's tent and tapped Kinlan on the arm,

“Let us return to the tent, Lord Talon will be starting again.” He said leading the way down the small hill.

 

Lord Talon gave Heikan a slight smile as he entered the tent, at Talon’s right sat King Arun and Ganasis and around them sat all the great Lords. Heikan got back into his chair just as Talon resumed the meeting again, a meeting that had been called to discuss tomorrow’s march on Degrainia.

“Do we have any idea just how much resistance we shall meet?” asked King Arun directing his question towards Ganasis and the wizard Zumal.

“That is hard to say Sire, if we take the view of what we have already met, then we should be confident that their armies will not be able to match us.” answered Ganasis only for Zumal to add his own opinion.

“But if we judge the Degrain on what they once were, then who knows what we will come up against…. we could walk into a town which is full of might and power and if we measure that power on the strength they once had, then the outcome of this battle could be very different indeed.”

King Arun nodded as he digested what he had just heard, “interesting.” He sighed almost silently as he sank into his own thoughts, “does anyone else have anything to add?” he said once again quietly.

“My instinct tells me that this town of Degrainia will be completely different to anything we have encountered thus far.” Talon added which suddenly stiffened the lords.

“What makes you think that?” Ganasis asked him.

Talon raised his hand and held up two fingers, “Two reasons…the first is because this part of Degrain is completely barren, the dirt we walk upon is completely dead and in regions such as this you find that the wealth of the civilisation is usually found in just a few large principle cities. Degrainia is vast and sits alone in this landscape of death, its two nearest cities are Galiko and Yom which are far to the east……and secondly….it has been far too easy for us to get where we are.”

“How can you say easy my Lord? We have fought almost every day for the past month; we have ground out our victories with our sweat and blood!” Lord Heikan replied.

“That has been baited, Lord Heikan… bait to draw us in, I fear we are on a long fishing line being drawn into a very large net.” replied Talon.

“I do not agree with you Talon! We have been glorious in victory!” snapped Heikan looking slightly angered.

“Heikan, do you disagree that we are sitting in the land of Degrain?”

“Of course not!”

“Then do you disagree that the people of this land have been raging war on Kratos for countless millennia?”

“No!”

“So my dear lord, can you explain to me how the beast that have risen from this land crushed the mighty empire of Tusaria, drove the Kesains to the point of extinction, killed thousands of our kin and even battled the gods, how do explain this?....How do you explain the ease which we thus far defeated them?”

“Zachanian steel and heart!” Heikan answered still trying to sound proud with his armies’ achievements.

“You fool yourself my lord!” added Talon which made all the lords frown at his remark,

“We must not dare underestimate these warriors, they come from a heritage where they possess a horrifying skill in battle, they are cunning and cruel and are driven by a burning desire to kill…. Heed my words all of you…. Our battle in Degrain has only just begun.” Talon added speaking with a strong conviction in his voice.

Now the tent fell into silence as the lords all contemplated Talon’s warning, they all knew too well that when Talon spoke this way then it was something that could not be ignored.

After what seemed an awkward few moments it fell upon the king to break the silence.

“Are you trying to suggest something to us Talon?”

“My message is that we must not dare become complacent sire, we must rid our minds of what has happened and face each day as if it was our first day in Degrain, I do not want our men going into a battle thinking it won before we begin… we must remain focused and totally determined…..If we become gloated with pride and confidence then we do it at our own peril!”

Suddenly a laugh came from the back, the lords turned to see Talon’s grandfather Lord Zalon sitting completely at ease and smiling from ear to ear, “spoken like a true gladiator!” he barked proudly at his grandson as the other lords looked at him like he was raving mad.

“All of you listen to my grandson, what he says has merit, the gladiator who enters a battle with too much confidence, enters the battle with one eye closed and one arm tied behind his back.” added Zalon quoting an old gladiator mantra.

“Anyway how can we be complacent when we have you telling us what to do?” Zalon then snapped jokingly at his grandson trying to lighten the mood.

Talon looked up at him and smiled, the sight of his grandfather sitting there laughing made him feel safe. His smile grew larger as it broke into laughter, soon everyone was laughing, Zalon slapped his own leg as he now roared with laughter, but then Talon suddenly stopped laughing and once again his face turned serious.

“What is wrong my son?” Lord Zalon shouted across the room.

Talon raised his head as a sudden nausea rose within him, he quickly turned to Ganasis with a look of deep concern on his face, Ganasis suddenly felt a shiver down his own back as suddenly the tent jerked violently throwing the men from their chairs. The ground then shook and above their heads they heard an ear shattering cracks, the shaking grew more intense where they struggled to stand.

“WHAT IS HAPPENING?” Lord Heikan shouted.

Then as sudden as it begun, the earth just stopped shaking. The lords slowly picked themselves up and looked at each other with fear and confusion, outside the tent screams could be heard, the king reached out and pulled himself up with the help of Talon.

“What the damn just happened?” he groaned wiping the blood on his forehead of a cut that opened when he fell to the ground.

“Are you alright sire?” Talon asked when he noticed the blood

“It’s nothing.” answered the king.

“TALON!” Lord Heikan shouted as he saw Ganasis still lying on the ground, Talon quickly turned to see his wizard friend hunched with his face screwed in pain as he clutched his chest.

“Ganaais!” Talon said as he knelt down quickly beside him.

“Ganasis, what is wrong?”

Ganasis rolled onto his back and tried to get his breath, he flinched his eyes a few times as he tried to focus on Talon.

“Evil!....I felt evil so intense it entered my heart!” The wizard gasped as he tried to compose himself.

“Are you alright Ganasis, shall I call for aid?” The king said.

Ganasis pulled himself upright and blew a long breath, “No Arun, I am alright now.” He said as he looked up at Talon and noticed the strange look on his face.

“You felt it also didn’t you Talon?”

Talon did not answer with words; he just gave a slight nod of his head before helping his wizard friend back to his feet.

“Are you sure you are alright Ganasis?” Talon repeated only to get a quick rebuff from Ganasis.

“Don’t fuss over me; we have a meeting to resume.”

Talon’s grandfather then pulled Talon to the side and whispered in his ear, “There is much confusion in the camp, you should address the men Talon, let them know everything is okay.”

Alright grandfather, give me a moment.” Talon answered as he once again turned his attention to Ganasis who was now back in his seat and breathing heavily. Talon knelt beside him and grabbed his hand, “What has just happened Ganasis?...Tell me what you are feeling.”

Ganasis took a deep breath and looked Talon in the eyes,

“Something terrible has happened!.....I have not felt such pain since Apollo’s mortal body was slain, but this time Talon the pain is more severe, more swamped in evil, I fear that we are in the midst of great danger….I fear the worst!”

 

The two days that followed were full of unease and expectation, Ganasis seemed more lethargic than usual as the Zachanian army marched towards the city of Degrainia. Talon gave the old wizard a wide berth as he could see that he was trying to reach into his own thoughts and find some clarity of what he was feeling. The rest of the council lords were all too busy, the eve of battle was upon them now as Degrainia sat on the horizon.

When the lords sat down for a council meeting at dusk the first thing the king commented on was the absence of Ganasis, Talon explained that the wizard was feeling tired but the council insisted that he should be brought to the meeting as they needed his wisdom and knowledge, the king asked Graval to go and fetch the old wizard but was interrupted by Talon who said he would go and fetch him instead.

A few moments later Talon found Ganasis sitting alone on a small knoll looking across the valley to the town of Degrainia in the distance.

“Your presence has been requested at the council meeting old man!” Talon said as he joined him.

Ganasis turned and gave Talon a slight smile then looked back in the direction he was looking at before he was interrupted.

“Ganasis, did you hear me?” Talon said louder only to be once again met with silence.

Talon gazed across the valley and looked at what Ganasis was looking at, then he knelt down beside his friend.

“What is wrong my friend?.....In the morning we march on that city, your friends are in the tent now making plans Ganasis…. They need you…. I NEED YOU!”

Once again Talon was met with silence, he waited patiently for a reply but Ganasis just ignored him as he held his stare on the horizon, Talon bit his lip in frustration and after it became clear that he was not going to be answered, he grabbed the wizard's arm firmly.

“Damn it Ganasis! We have work to do, their lives are at stake here, our friends lives, the men who depend on us and look to us for guidance and leadership…..Do you hear me old man?”

Again Talon waited for some kind of reaction but again he was met with silence, Talon rose to his feet and looked at Ganasis, he had never seen him this way before.

“What is wrong with you?” Talon snapped in anger.

“Ganasis!” Talon added as he stared at his friend who still ignored him, Talon shook his head and stood motionless for a moment as he hoped for any kind of answer, he waited a few moments before he sighed loudly and then turned his back and started to walk back towards the direction of the tent. He walked about five steps when he heard the wizard speak his name,

“Talon.”

Turning his head Talon saw that his wizard friend was now standing, so Talon walked back to him and looked him sincerely in the face, “Ganasis, what is wrong with you?”

“There is nothing wrong with me Talon……..But something is wrong, something is terribly wrong…… there is an evil down there in that valley, an ancient and terrifying evil…… it horrifies me.”

“Ganasis, everything is fine, the army is safe and we have witnessed nothing unusual.”

Once gain Ganasis looked back on the horizon, Talon saw his face frown before he turned back to him.

“Listen to me Talon, something horrifying is coming for us!......Something evil. I have been trying to feel what it is for the past two days but with every attempt I make all I feel is pain and confusion.”

“What are you saying Ganasis, I do not understand you, what do you mean by attempt?”

“I have been attempting to reach out with my spirit and let it taste the land, trying to discover the source of this evil presence but every time I attempt this I am met with a strange void…. A blackness where everything is drenched in pain and death.”

Talon tilted his head as he saw the pain in his friend, he reached out and grabbed the wizard, placing a hand on each of his shoulders.

“Ganasis, stop doing this to yourself, I feel death too but we have a battle to prepare for, if we do not prepare ourselves now then tomorrow when we fight we will be at a disadvantage, you must put these feelings to the back of your mind and come with me to meeting now.”

Ganasis stretched his neck and gave Talon a slight smile; he looked deeply into his eyes and then answered in a tone more pleasing, “So what is it you need me to do?”

Talon smiled as he saw his friend return to his senses, “I need you to work with Zumal and prepare a spell for the battle.”

Ganasis nodded and then told Talon to give him a few moments alone then he would join him shortly in the council meeting. Talon patted his shoulder and smiled, then returned back to the meeting.

“Did you speak to Ganasis, Talon?” The king asked as soon as Talon returned.

“Yes Arun, he will join us shortly.”

“Good, in your absence Lord Heikan has volunteered to head the attack tomorrow, do you have any objections to this?” King Arun said.

Talon was still in thought about Ganasis and barely caught what the king had just said, he rubbed his face then noticed that all the lords were looking at him for a reply, the king repeated the question and Talon smiled and turned to look at Heikan.

“I can think of no one more suited to take such a charge…… my only objection would be if the noble lord refuses to have me ride by his side” replied Talon.

Lord Heikan rose to his feet and stuck out his chest proudly, he raised his head and looked sternly at Talon, “That would be my greatest honour!” He stated almost shouting it.

“Then it is agreed!....In the morrow Lord Heikan and Lord Talon will head the attack on Degrainia…. May the gods bless us with victory and may our casualties be at a minimum.” added the King getting to his feet.

 

Making plans and scheming, the council sat well into the night, they rejoiced and toasted for their success totally oblivious that the winds of war were turning against them, proudly they fashioned their strategies ignorant that six minions of evil were waiting in the valley below, waiting to unleash their evil wrath and horrifying woe.


  

Chapter 49
XLIX

  

The ancient town of Degrainia was now on full alert and battle primed.

The Zachanians full of bravado and confidence waited for the dawn light with mixed feelings of optimism and determination.

Across the valley in the city, the Degrains were also now feeling confident, the walls had been sealed and behind them sat thousands of warriors, amongst these barbaric fighting beast were wizards and witches and a legion of Imperial palace land soldiers, with swords sharpened and arrows primed, they sat silently in the night waiting for the dawn to break where the ravages of war would begin.

 

The night before a battle was always the same and affected both armies in equal measure, nerves set in and oaths of life and death were whispered passionately under breath. Old friends looked at each other with affection and respect, silently accepting that this may be their last time together. Rest and sleep was troublesome as men tossed and turned with their minds in turmoil thinking about the horrors of what battle may bring. Doubts of defeat and the joys of victory dancing in their minds as their hearts yearned for their loved ones back home. On this night as both armies sat across the valley facing each other, the only enemy was their imaginations, to some they were haunted by their thoughts, to others it inspired them, but to all….it succeeded to unnerve them.

 

When dawn arrived it brought with it the usual eerie silence before battle, men rose from their slumber and prepared themselves but words were sparse, men looked at each other and spoke with their eyes, only when the commanders arrived did everything burst into life, the drums began and the sound of horses and orders being shouted soon filled the air. Now there was no turning back, now was the time for the primal instincts to surface where men roused themselves into a frenzied mood for battle.

 

Lord Talon walked amongst his men, an inspiration to them just by his calm and confident manner, some soldiers saluted him as others bowed before him and some even thanked him for restoring their dignity and honour.

When Talon joined Lord Heikan at the front of Heikan’s army he was impressed at their appearance and composure, Lord Heikan had instructed his army to show full house colours, flags of his royal house were brought to the front as the drums banged ominously on the hill. The soldiers stood in their lines looking eager for blood with their polished weapons in hand.

“By Apollo, they look impressive.” Talon thought as a horse was brought over to him.

“Talon! We was wondering where you were, we thought you may have returned to Zachania!” the king joked as pulled up beside Talon on his horse.

“When we return home, it will be to announce that Degrain is now part of Zachania!” Talon shouted back at him proudly.

“LET US MAKE IT SO!” Lord Heikan shouted.

Once Talon got onto his horse he looked across the valley and then turning to the king asked if they were ready to attack

“Are we ready sire?” Talon shouted just as his grandfather rode alongside him.

“Grandfather stay close to me.” Talon said as he leaned closer and offered his hand for his grandfather to grab.

“BY YOUR SIDE!” replied his grandfather proudly.

Lord Heikan then turned in the direction of the drummers nearby and shouted to their commander.

“SOUND THE ATTACK!” he screamed as the commander relayed the order to the drummers who quickly increased the pace of the beats.

Talon then pulled the reins of his horse and kicked his heels so it moved forward to the front of the lords.

“Is everyone ready sire?”

King Arun gave him a stern look and a nod of his head that it was time, Talon smiled and pulled his sword, his horse jumped onto two legs as he pulled it to face the valley, Talon pointed his sword and then turned back to the lords and the warriors of Lord Heikan’s army behind them.

 

“THE BATTLE AWAITS US….THE BATTLE AWAITS ITS VICTORS…THE BATTLE AWAITS OUR SWORDS AND SPEARS…..THE BATTLE AWAITS OUR VALOUR AND COURAGE….NOBLE ZACHANIANS RIDE FORTH AND ENTER THE REALM OF LEGEND…RIDE FORTH AND CLAIM OUR REVENGE….RIDE FORTH AND CLAIM YOUR DESTINY…………FOR ZACHANIA!”

 

When Talon finished the whole valley burst into cheers and shouts as the Zachanians drew their weapons, “FOR ZACHANIA!” they shouted the loudest they could muster.

Lord Heikan joined Talon at the front and just behind them rode the king and Talon’s grandfather. The march had begun and slowly they rode down the slopes into the gorge.

There was a strange calmness as they entered the long barren valley, apart from the Zachanians there was absolutely nothing except rock and dirt.

As the drums echoed, Ganasis and Zumal along with King Quankow and two of his Kesain companions joined Talon and Heikan,

“So far so good!” Talon said as he saw them, “have you conjured your spells yet?” added Talon only to be met with a stern look from Ganasis.

“Have patience Talon! When the time is right you shall have your spell.” snapped the irate wizard.

“I was just making sure you did not forget.” joked Talon back at him noticing his angry tone.

“You just concentrate on what is before you, don’t waste your time on me!” added Ganasis failing to see the joke.

 

Baron Gragu and the inhabitants of Degrainia were aware of the oncoming army; patiently they waited behind the fortress walls of the city. Baron Gragu had assembled a powerful army and positioned them in the best strategic positions for the oncoming onslaught. Gragu was now in a furious mood, he was outraged that the emperor had not done more to aid him and was incensed at the outrageousness of the Zachanians who had dared to march upon the sacred land of Degrain.

He also found it hard to understand how the evil witch Bevilda and her wretched sisters had chosen to desert him in this time of battle.

Gragu was a fearsome leader of his people, he ruled over them in typical Degrain fashion, with an iron hand and the threat of the lash. His family heritage had its roots firmly established among the ancient Degrain history where a ‘Gragu’ had always been prominent amongst its rulers and hierarchy.

In fact it was baron Gragu’s grandfather Klen Gragu who centuries ago was defeated by the empire, amongst the cries of his subjects for blood he forged an alliance with the emperor and nursed his nation back to health. It was a time of pain for the Degrainians, the first time in all their history where they had to live under foreign rule, but Gragu protected his subjects and in the coming decades they prospered greatly for their obedience.

The Gragu who ruled now was fashioned from the same calibre of leader, he was extremely large even for a Degrain, and he was bestowed with a mighty physical strength and blessed with a cold calculated calmness of mind. He was a ruler of the old ways, fiercely proud and protective of his clan but equally as punishing, no mercy was ever tolerated, if you broke his laws then you paid for it with your life. That was the way of the Degrain and that was the way of Gragu.

Baron Gragu had in fact rejoiced when he first heard the news that the Zachanians has entered Degrain, he relished the chance of fighting the enemy of his ancestors.

Moments after he had been informed and he burst into laughter he soon gave way to anger as he thought of the sheer arrogance, he grew so enraged that he killed the two messengers just for bringing him such information. He then ordered their bodies to be hung outside his castle with signs around their necks which said, “This fate awaits anyone who takes a backward step against an intruder of Degrain.”

It was a lesson for all his subjects, al6though many of them did not need reminding as the

Baron’s cruelty and passion for courage was legendary among them. A common whisper was also spoken on how the Baron had broken the neck of one of his son’s and then had the boy fed to the beast he had run from during a hunting trip. Cowardice was a trait that could not be tolerated among the Gragu clan; he would not tolerate it among his subjects and would certainly not allow it among his sons.

 

As Gragu sat among his lords and generals in his battle room of the castle, he sat with an angry arrogance. The room where he resided in was like a shrine to his ancestors and the battles they had fought in. everywhere around were mementoes of past glorious campaigns. Most disturbing though was a large throne and sitting on the throne was the stuffed body of his grandfather, his eyes fixed forever of the map on the wall of the Degrainian empire and fixed in his hand was the sword of Kardine, ominously he sat reminding all of what power the Degrainian empire once possessed.

When Baron Gragu was joined by his favourite son Buklash, he greeted him with a firm embrace. Buklash was similar to his father, strong and iron willed. He was the sixteenth eldest of Gragu’s forty three sons, but Buklash caught his father’s eye at an early age when he killed one of his brother’s in a feud over a female Degrain. It was a strange hand of fate, one which mirrored the actions of his father when he was but a boy himself. Since that day the son was schooled personally by the baron. In ancient Degrain tradition it was frequent for the strongest son to succeed his father, it did not matter if you were not the eldest, strength was always placed higher than position among the Degrain.

For centuries families and clans had been decimated with family feuding as sons fought and killed each other trying to prove who was best to rule, but this was Degrain way, it brought pain and tears for the mothers but for the fathers it brought great pride as they witnessed their son’s battle to prove their worth.

Buklash took his seat next to his father just as two Degrain warriors entered the room, they walked slowly until they faced the baron where they both knelt on one knee.

“DEKRAAN!” they said with their heads bowed addressing the baron with the ancient title which meant absolute ruler of Degrain.

“Were they found?” Gragu asked them.

“No my DEKRAAN, we did not.” answered one of the warriors still with his head bowed to the chorus of sighs coming from the back of room as the word (no) was spoken to a Gragu.

Buklash gave his father a slight look then rose casually from his chair and addressed the man himself, “Did you search the Mountain of Seeing, just as I instructed you?” he asked ominously.

“No sir, we did not.” answered the soldier with a tone of voice which knew of his failure.

Buklash laughed and then with frightening power and speed struck the soldier across the head with the back of his hand, the soldier fell to his side and let out a mighty roar, leaping to his feet he grabbed for his sword at his side and roared at the baron’s son again.

The soldier had been insulted and in Degrainian tradition such an insult could only be met with a duel.

Buklash reached to his side for his own sword as the lords who had been silently standing around now moved closer and called for blood. The soldier crouched as he looked at Buklash, he moved slowly waiting for an opportunity, but just as the duel was about to begin, baron Gragu jumped furiously from his seat and thrust a dagger into the neck of the soldier, the soldier screamed as blood gushed from his neck. In an instant Buklash leapt upon him and sunk his teeth into his neck drinking the soldier’s warm blood. The baron bit the soldiers face and moments later the soldier’s body dropped to ground. Buklash then raised his head and knelt beside the body where he rammed the horn on his head into the soldier’s heart, Buklash roared as blood pumped onto his face. The baron’s son then turned to the other soldier who stiffened back at him and showed his fangs.

“Enough of this!” Baron Gragu shouted stepping in between the two Degrains growling at each other.

“Go forth and search again or meet same fate!” the baron said to the soldier who bowed his head and turned to leave the room, “yes DEKRAAN.”

Baron Gragu sat back down as he looked at the soldier leaving, the soldier got two paces when Gragu suddenly pounced from his chair and grabbed the soldiers head, a moment later a loud crack was heard just before the soldier fell to the ground.

“FETCH ME MORE SOLDIERS, AND THIS TIME BRING ME WARRIORS WHO WILL OBEY MY ORDERS!” the baron shouted.

A silence fell as Gragu got back into his chair, he reached for a cloth to clean the blood from his hands but his attention was distracted as the main doors were opened and in walked a soldier covered in chain mail and swords with the symbol of Degrain upon his chest showing his prominence within the Degrain army, the chain mail clattered as he walked proudly towards his baron.

“DEKRAAN.”  He said in a proud and strong tone and holding his head upright unlike the previous two soldiers who bowed to their leader.

“What is it General?”

“The Zachanians are nearly upon us.”

“Good. You know what to do.”

“Yes, DEKRAAN.”

“Stay true to the plan we discussed earlier.”

“As you wish, DEKRAAN.” The general answered before walking out the room as quickly as he had entered.

 

The drums of the Zachanians could now be heard in the city as the Zachanian armies moved to the outskirts of Degrainia.

The first thing that Talon noticed were the walls as the city came into view.

“What do you think?” Talon said turning to Lord Heikan who looked eager to begin the fighting.

“We should attack them on the left, there is more cover from those hills to shield us, if we fail to breach those walls quickly then I do not wish to be at the mercy of their archers without any shelter.”

“I agree.” answered Talon

 

The people of Degrainia ran to their positions as the bells of the city rang out the alarm, soldiers bit their lips and stiffened their bodies as the imminence of battle approached. Baron Gragu had now left the safety of the battle room and amongst his many lords and Generals he joined his soldiers behind the great gates.

As some of the baron’s aides helped him into his armour he was joined by one of his most trusted Generals,

“Klaava, soon we begin.” Gragu shouted proudly but only to be met with a stern and serious face of his General.

“Gragu, where is Bevilda? Where is Grarlin?” Klaava asked with a worried look on his a face.

“She is not with us on this day and Grarlin cannot be found.”

“DEKRAAN, I urge you to find her, beyond this gate is the one they call Talon, upon his sword is the guidance of the gods, we need her for this battle.”

“Curse the gods! We will win without her.”

“DEKRAAN…..we cannot win this battle without the magic of a female…if Bevilda has deserted us then I urge you to bring your daughter to the front.”

Baron Gragu looked deeply at his friend, with all that had been going on he had forgotten that his daughter ‘VIKLA’ was schooled in witchcraft, but she was young and a favourite of Gragu.

“We have other witches among us!” Gragu snapped

“None like Bevilda, the wrenches down there are not enchanters Gragu; they are maidens of herbs and potions….if Bevilda is not here then only Vikla is skilled in her ways.”

Gragu growled as he accepted what was being said to him, Vikla had just returned from Bevilda’s sister after spending two years studying with her. If anyone was qualified among them, then it was Vikla.

“Today’s battle is not a time to test someone.” Gragu answered stating that his daughter had yet to use her skills in combat.

“What options do we have Gragu?”

“Send for her, but Kraava, I entrust her safety to your personal charge, do you understand?”

“Yes DEKRAAN, I will guard her with my life.”

 

“Inform Lord Talon we are ready for him!” Ganasis shouted to a soldier as he stood with his wizard companion Zumal.

A few moments later Talon joined the two wizards and told them to begin before returning to his position beside lord Heikan.

Ganasis quickly instructed Zumal to begin his conjuring, they had agreed to use the same spell as they had used against the empire with such devastating effects at the western front of Kallick Town.

Zumal concentrated as he prepared to create the huge poisonous cloud, with Ganasis beside him he used all of his mental powers to focus on the spell.

“KO-LIN-KOW-LEE-KA-SIN-KA-SANK-KA-VOCH-LA-VOOL” he yelled as he held out his hand before him, Zumal repeated the chant and then just as before a flame appeared in the palm of his hand, the flame grew larger then began to float towards the direction of the city. Ganasis ran over to the flame and threw a pouch of herbs upon it, then it bust into life and grew in frightening size. Then just as quickly as it began, the flame made a large ‘whoosh’ noise and died before their eyes. Ganasis stiffened as he saw smoke beginning to form where the flame once burned, moments later smoke channelled high into the air and gathered in a huge cloud high above their heads. Zumal quickly gathered his breath and clapped his hands together as he chanted another spell, slowly they felt a soft wind blow from behind, quickly the wind increased t6o a gale blowing the smoke cloud towards the city of Degrainia.

“It is done, God help them.” Ganasis sighed as he gazed at the cloud of death ominously making its way toward the city.

When the cloud passed over the heads of his army he gave Talon an excited tap, “let us see how strong they are now.” he said pointing the cloud to Talon.

Talon looked up and suddenly a look of horror appeared on his face,

“What is the matter Talon?” Heikan said noticing his friends change in attitude.

“What the damn is Ganasis doing!” Talon shouted as he looked anxiously at the cloud.

“They weave us a spell Talon.”

“No Heikan they condemn us to infamy!” replied Talon as he jumped from his position and began to run towards Ganasis and Zumal.

“STOP THE SPELL NOW!” Talon shouted as he joined the wizards who looked at him wondering why he was reacting in such a way to the spell.

“GANASIS FOR GODS SAKE CEASE THIS NOW!”

“It is too late Talon, it cannot be stopped, what is the matter with you?”

“What have you done Ganasis?...by the gods, there are women and children in that town.”

Ganasis suddenly froze, he looked at Talon and then gazed up at the cloud,  “Zumal change the direction of the wind NOW!” he shouted as he turned to his wizard companion.

King Arun had now joined them and he re-iterated what Talon had just said, “Ganasis, do as Talon asks, we cannot be a part of any battle that ruthlessly murders the innocent.”

Ganasis quickly nudged Zumal and quickly the wizard began to chant, the men held their breath and gaze as before their eyes the cloud suddenly stopped above the city.

“DO IT!” Talon shouted.

Again Zumal chanted and then the cloud began to disperse, Talon sighed a sigh of relief as he saw it move away from the city, off towards the east and in the direction of the sea.

“What was you doing ganasis?” Talon then said as he turned to face his wizard friend.

Ganasis lowered his head as Talon’s actions had shamed him, he knew what he was doing when he decided to use the spell, in his heart he knew it was wrong but in his desperation to rid himself of the evil presence he had felt he relented to his fears and forgot what was honourable.

“Ganasis, why did you do that?” Talon asked him.

“I did what I did because I thought it was necessary to save your lives, there is an evil in this place and without that cloud I fear that none of us will see another dawn.”

“Let us make that decision!” king Arun then said as he placed a compassionate hand on the wizards shoulder before turning to Zumal to congratulate him for dispersing the cloud.

“Good work Zumal…it was the right thing to do.”

“Sire…it was not me who dispersed the cloud.”

“What are you saying?”

“I am saying that it was not me who drove the cloud from the town, someone from within did that, someone who has great power.” added Zumal

“What is that you say?” Ganasis suddenly said looking concerned at what he had just heard.

“Ganasis it was not me.”

“Who could yield such power in sorcery?” Ganasis sighed quietly as he gazed back at the city.

King Arun gave Ganasis a concerned look and was just about to question him further when they were interrupted by Lord Tanaga.

“Sire there are men coming from the city.”

The king quickly turned to Talon and gave him a look to ask him what he wished to do, Talon looked at the city and then shouted across to Lord Heikan to bring a legion of archers to front line.

Lord Heikan quickly relayed the order to Kinlan who immediately set about bringing forth the archers as Talon and the king walked over to join Heikan.

“We will meet them head on and let them taste Zachanian arrows.” Talon said as he pulled his sword.

“We shall wet their appetites with a dose of death!” Heikan replied.

“So the battle begins Arun.” Talon said as he turned to the king, “the time has arrived for us to prove our worth my friend…make sure the men stay concentrated Arun, we win this battle then we win Degrain.” Talon added.

As soon as Talon looked back towards the city he heard a shout coming from his army,

“HERE THEY COME!” shouted Heikan as dust clouds suddenly appeared at the gates of the city as hundreds of Degrain warriors kicked their horses into a gallop. The Zachanian army suddenly parted as a legion of archers came forward, Talon watched as they aimed their bows at the Degrain warriors.

“The order is yours Talon.” Heikan said letting Talon know that the archers await his command.

Talon raised his arm and waited for the Degrain warriors to ride into range, patiently Talon waited as Heikan mentioned to him that they were now within range. Talon ignored the comment and waited, Heikan again repeated this time more anxiously that they were now in range only for Talon to again ignore him as he stared intently at the battlefield before him.

King Arun suddenly walked over to Talon and spoke to him, Talon what are you waiting for? The enemy are within sight!” he said with an urgent tone to his voice.

Some of the archers were now beginning to feel the strain as their arms began to ache for holding their primed bows for so long, the archers gazed at Talon wondering when he was going to order them to fire, the ground was now shaking as the sound of the horses and the Degrain warriors screaming filled the air.

Talon waited another few painfully slow moments before he finally dropped his arm and screamed at the archers to fire.

The sky suddenly blackened as thousands of arrows whistled into the air, the first barrage crashed down onto the Degrain’s cutting them down in their tracks, horses fell and men screamed as heavily they fell into the dirt.

The second barrage of arrows had now left the archers bows and they smashed into their intended targets with deadly force, hundreds dropped as they bled quickly to death. Talon then shouted to Heikan to continue firing on them just before he ran over to Ganasis.

“Ganasis, quickly I want a spell that will fill their hearts with fear.” Talon shouted at him.

Quickly Ganasis nodded and reached into his spell bag to find something to make a spell. Talon ran back to Heikan and then called for Graval to join him, the archers had succeeded in stopping the horses but the Degrain who had survived the onslaught of the archers were now forming a group and were beginning to run towards the Zachanian front line. Talon looked across to Lord Heikan’s son Stant who was standing at the front of a column of Heikan’s soldiers.

Talon quickly ran over to him, “follow me with your men!” Talon shouted just before he turned and ran towards the groups of Degrainian warriors who were quickly advancing, a few moments later and the Degrain broke the first rank of archers, the archers battled with them but were losing the fight, Talon and Graval jumped into the midst of battle with Heikan’s son Stant and soon the Degrain warriors began to fall.

The fighting was now breaking out across the whole Zachanian front line where the Degrain used their huge strength and unique long swords and axes to cut down hundreds of Zachanians.

Talon then noticed that more warriors were riding from the city so he called out for Graval to tell the archers to retreat so they could focus their arrows on the warriors coming towards them on horseback. Talon also shouted to Kinlan to bring more soldiers to the front.

Ganasis was still frantically working on a spell with Zumal but was still a few moments away from performing it, the king urged him to hurry but was quickly rebuffed by the wizard who told him he was working as quickly as he could.

As Talon killed his tenth Degrain warrior he quickly found some space and looked at the fighting around him, it dawned on him that fighting these huge beasts was taking more of a toll on the Zachanians than was expected, they were holding the Degrain at bay but Zachanians were falling in their dozens doing so. Talon quickly grabbed a soldier and told him to run to the king and tell him to bring the Kesain’s to the front.

“ARE YOU OKAY?” Graval shouted as he killed another beast and joined Talon.

“We are losing too many men Graval.” Talon replied just as another Degrain pounced and the two men together cut him down.

“You just have to hit them in the right spot!” Graval joked as the beast hit the ground.

Talon then gave his friend a smile as the two of them jumped back into the middle of the battle; Talon killed another Degrain and then turned quickly to the next where he almost cut the beast in two as he swung his sword with fiercest of blows.

As the battle went on and more Degrain joined the fight, Talon began to fear that if they did not do something quick then the Zachanian front line was in real danger of being overran and broken.

Talon shouted in determination as he and Graval fought more urgently, more Zachanians were coming from the rear but the Degrain’s were now inside the Zachanian lines, the battle was fearsome and the Degrain’s were making too much ground which was throwing the Zachanians out of position and causing confusion.

Talon’s own strength was now beginning to sap as he fought relentlessly trying to defend his exhausted comrades.

The Zachanians at the front were now surrounded and isolated and were dropping like flies as more Degrain warriors ran from the city.

Talon then saw something that chilled his soul, out of the corner of his eye he saw Lord Heikan’s son battling against three Degrain, his personal guard had been killed and he was in desperate trouble, Stant was bleeding heavily from a wound in his shoulder caused by a spear which made it difficult for him to hold his sword. Talon shouted to Graval and the two of them sprinted towards the gallant son.

As Talon reached the first Degrain he quickly cut him down, he was now just a few feet away from Stant but was quickly forced back as three Degrain warriors rode into the ground between them and attacked Talon with spears.

“NO!” Talon shouted as he saw the beasts close in on Stant, Heikan’s son caught Talon’s eye and Talon noticed the look on his face, he looked terrified like he knew that death had a firm grip on his back.

“DON’T GIVE IN!” Talon shouted just as he saw one of the Degrain on horseback thrust his long spear into the courageous boy’s stomach.

“NO!” Talon screamed as he jumped onto one of the Degrain warriors back and slit his throat with his dagger.

Heikan’s son was still pierced by the warriors spear and the Degrain lifted the boy high into the air, Talon struck the spear with his sword and was then joined by Graval as the two of them quickly cut the murdering beast to the ground.

Talon was then crashed into by another beast on horseback, he was thrown heavily to ground as the horse fell barely missing his head, the beast was now beside him and Talon noticed that his sword had been knocked from his hand during the collision, frantically Talon grabbed the Degrain by the neck and after a struggle between them there was a loud crack as Talon broke its neck, he then quickly turned to reach for his sword but as he turned his head he saw a spear coming towards his face, inches away Talon just closed his eyes and prepared himself for the inevitable pain and death but then he heard a loud crack where he opened his eyes and saw that Graval had thrown himself onto the spear knocking it away from him and saving his life.

Talon quickly got to his feet and grabbed the spear and turned it back onto the beast, he pierced it directly into the beast’s heart killing it instantly.

Graval picked up Talon’s sword and handed it to them as once again the two of them fought for their lives; they stood back to back amongst a hundred Degrain desperately battling for survival.

The spears and swords belonging to the Degrain were coming at them from all direction as the beast waited in lines for their chance to attack them, Talon shouted out in defiance as he felt his strength ebbing away from the constant blocking and shielding of blows.

“It is just like your grandfathers school in Zachra!” Graval shouted out joking just as he swung his sword to cut off a horn on a Degrainian head.

“Was it still a good idea to stop the cloud?” Graval shouted again joking with Talon.

Blow after blow after blow they stood fighting, until Talon could hardly lift his sword, Graval gave him a firm nudge reminding him to raise his arm just as a spear pierced Graval’s shoulder, blood sprayed onto Talon’s neck as he heard his friend sigh heavily from the pain.

“Are you okay?”

“It is just…..a ….scratch.” Graval struggled to reply.

Talon then felt his friend slump behind him so he reached out with his free arm and helped him back onto his feet, “DON’T LEAVE ME NOW!” Talon shouted at him.

Then just as the fight for survival was becoming too great, Talon saw a group of Kesains burst into the Degrain warriors. Moments later the Degrain lay battered and smashed to the ground as Talon saw the Kesain leader King Quankow running towards him. Quankow ordered two of his warriors to take Talon and Graval back behind the lines and back to safety.

Talon almost collapsed as the huge Kesain picked him up and placed him under his arm and then ran back across the fighting back to Ganasis and the king.

When Talon got to his feet he was pleased to see that the battle field was getting back under control, Lord Heikan had regrouped his archers and the Kesain’s were cleaning up what the archers missed.

When the king looked at Talon and Graval he almost fell over in shock, the two men were soaked from head to foot in blood and could hardly stand from exhaustion.

“BY APOLLO!” the king sighed as ran over to Talon.

“Are you alright?” he asked looking at all the blood.

“It is okay Arun, the blood is not mine.”

The king quickly shouted to a nearby soldier to fetch some water before he turned back to Talon, “We have taken back the field.”

When the soldier returned with the water he returned with Ganasis who informed the king of the good news that the Degrain had sounded the retreat and were heading back to the city, the wizard then turned to Talon and Graval who were both lying on their backs trying to regain their breath.

“Talon are you injured” the wizard said as knelt down and touched Talon’s head looking concerned.

“No old man, just tired.”

 

Lord Heikan was still on the battlefield where he searched frantically for his son, he could see in the distance the Degrain retreating and see hundreds of his men laying in on the ground screaming for help.

“Where are you my son?...please Apollo, let my son be safe…please my god let my son be alive and not amongst the dead in the dirt.” Heikan sighed as he walked amongst the dead scattered everywhere.

There was now a growing concern amongst Heikan’s soldiers as the lord went from man to man grabbing them and asking them if they had seen his son, “No My lord.” was answered time and again until one soldier pointed the lord to a direction where his son was last seen.

Lord Heikan searched the field for another hour until he returned to the king where he was praying that his son would be by his side.

As the worried lord joined the council lords and king he saw Talon sitting on a rock, the two of them caught each other’s eyes where Heikan immediately saw by the look on Talon’s face that his worst fear had come to pass.

“How did it happen?” Heikan asked with his voice cracking from grief.

“He met death with his sword in hand, he died a true Zachanian.” replied Talon trying to sound as sincere as possible.

Lord Heikan winced his face in pain and gave Talon a slight nod of his head as he turned to the king and asked him permission for a few moments alone. The king told him to take as long as he needed and gave him a friendly pat on the back.

“We will find his body and give him the respect he deserves.” added the king but only for it to fall on deaf ears as Heikan had already turned his back.

“He is broken.” The king said to Talon once Heikan was far away not to hear him.

“Stant was his favourite son, Talon, Heikan did not want him here but the boy insisted he should be with his father and brother.,” added Kinlan.

“Graval and I tried desperately to save his life, when we reached him it was too late though.”

“Do not blame yourself Talon, many brave men fell today. It is the way of war that we cannot save everyone.” Graval added.

“We were afraid we lost you Talon.” The king then said, “The Degrain’s attacked us with such speed and numbers we for a moment lost the field.” He added.

Talon gave the king a slight smile before he asked a soldier to fetch more water as his stomach ached from thirst.

“Do you think they will attack again today?” the king asked Ganasis as he turned to look at the city.

“I think not, I hope not!....surely they will need rest just as surely as us.” replied Ganasis.

The king was just about to relax when he heard a shout from down the hill, “THEY COME AGAIN!”

Suddenly all the lords started to shout out orders, the archers were re-enforced and the king gave the order for them to start firing immediately. Having learned from the first battle this time the Zachanians were more prepared. King Arun brought four legions of archers to the front and behind them he had arranged a legion of long bow archers where they could reach the Degrain with their arrows almost as the beasts left the city.
This time the battle was short as the Degrain failed to reach the Zachanian front lines, wave after wave of them left the city only to be halted by the constant barrage of arrows that fell on them, after suffering very heavy casualties the Degrain retreated back to the city behind the vast city gates.

We held them!” the king said triumphantly as he watched them return. He had directed his comment to Ganasis but it fell on deaf ears as the wizard looked focused on his own thoughts,

“Attack…injure…retreat, attack…injure…retreat, I see a pattern appearing in their actions.”

“What’s that you are saying Ganasis?” asked Lord Tanaga.

“If I not mistaken then the enemy have just shown us their hand, they will repeat this until they wear us down, then just when they think we are exhausted they will launch an all-out attack on us.” Ganasis added.

“It would be good if we knew just how many of them are behind those walls.” Talon said as he joined the conversation.

“If this is their plan, Talon, then we must assume that their numbers are vast.”

“Maybe there is a way to find out.” replied Talon looking intently at the city in the distance.

“How would we do that?”

Talon did not answer Ganasis; he was deep in thought to the time in Zachania when he used his powers to imagine he was an eagle flying high in the sky which eventually led him to the cave of Apollo.”

“I must have some time to think about this.” Talon answered just before walking off so he could sit down and have some time on his own. At first Talon found it difficult to concentrate as the soldiers around him were busy shouting orders and tending to the injured, but after nearly an hour of deep concentration his mind began to drift to the place where wanted to be.

In his mind’s eye Talon imagined that he was an eagle flying high above the valley, he circled the battlefield and then swooped down where he flew just above the city, he circled around a few times flying around the turrets and castle walls till he felt satisfied that he had seen what he wanted to see.

Talon let out a loud sigh and then opened his eyes, he sat still for a moment then rose to his feet to find Ganasis.

Talon found Ganasis just a few yards away where the wizard was holding council with the king and the wizard Zumal, as soon as Ganasis saw Talon he turned and looked at him in the eyes.

“You did it didn’t you?” Ganasis said seeing the look of success on his your warrior friend’s face.

“I saw everything Ganasis, just as you said their army is vast……there are also imperial soldiers within the city.”

“Imperial soldiers!...how many did you see?”

“I am not sure Ganasis, but there are thousands inside the walls.”

“Does their combined force outnumber us?

“Greatly!” replied Talon scowling when he spoke.

“We must take much caution Talon, the decisions we make now have just become much more important.”

“I may have the solution Ganasis.”

“What is on your mind?”

Talon hesitated for a moment as he knew what he was about to say would be a hard decision to convince the council lords.

“We should think very hard about attacking them with all our might…..throw everything we have at them and try to bludgeon them into defeat.”

“Victory or defeat!” replied Ganasis.

“That is what we came to Degrain for; we knew that sometime we would face a situation like this.”

“Indeed we did, I will think of a strategy Talon, we must try to find a way that an all-out attack will give us the advantage.”

“Use all of your skill Ganasis; I will call a meeting with the king and the council lords.”

Ganasis and Talon then stood still and silent as they looked at each other, both of them feeling the pressure of what they were discussing.

“Right then….we have no time to waste!” Ganasis snapped clapping his hands together and trying to sound positive and optimistic.

 

King Arun along with the council lords, Tanaga, Krazmos, Menka, Heikan and Talon’s grandfather Lord Zalon listened intently to the plan Talon laid before them. Once Talon had finished his suggestion, the council were split in two minds, lord Tanaga and lord Menka suggested they take more time and plan such an attack with more caution, but lord Heikan and Zalon agreed with Talon and called for an immediate attack, lord Heikan was still seething at the loss of his son and was clearly the most passionate of all the lords, he banged his large fists on the table and demanded he have revenge for his boy.

King Quankow was asked his thoughts, showing concern he said that he would abide by the council’s decision whatever way they decided to act.

“You are leader of this army lord Talon, I gave you the power to command, if this is what you feel is the best course of action then the council and throne will agree with you.” added the king to the slight frustration of lord Tanaga and Menka.

“Then it agreed1 unless something thwarts our plans during the night we shall attack the city with everything we have at first light tomorrow.” added Talon as he looked over to his grandfather who gave him a slight reassuring nod of his head to show him he was in agreement with him.

“Gentlemen please excuse me, I wish to tell Ganasis of our plans, we shall meet again this evening.” Talon then said as he turned and walked away off to find his wizard friend. Talon walked around the camp and quickly became frustrated as he could not find Ganasis anywhere, Talon then saw Graval who told him that the wizard was sitting by the hill looking down at the city.

The sound of Talon approaching snapped Ganasis from his thoughts; he quickly rose to his feet and welcomed his friend.

“What was their decision?” he asked Talon talking about the council’s reaction.

“They wanted caution first but lord Heikan and my grandfather swung the decision…what are you doing here Ganasis? I thought you would be with Zumal preparing spells.”

“Zumal is alright by himself, he doesn’t need Me.” Ganasis sighed which immediately alerted Talon that something was troubling his friend.

“It’s nothing, Talon. It can wait!”

“Ganasis, just tell me what is on your mind.” Talon replied.

Ganasis looked at the ground and then after a moment he replied.

“I am thinking about the future!...our future and the future of Kratos.”

“At a time like this?”

“It is probably the best time to think of such things.”

Talon then sat down next to the wizard and noticed next to him was a rolled up map of the artefacts.

“You have been looking at the map!”

“Yes.”

“What were you looking at?”

Ganasis then quickly unfolded the map and pointed to the region of Degrain, “do you see that?”

“Yes it is Degrain.”

No that!” Ganasis snapped pointing at the drawings of the artefacts.

“There!....here in Degrain there are two artefacts to be found!” the wizard snapped clearly showing frustration in his voice.

“What would you have us do Ganasis?.....we are here to fight the Degrain, we are not here to search for items.”

“If this map is correct then we are right on top of the artefacts, if we left now then we could easily be back by morning.”

“Have you gone crazy old man!....look at everything we have to do?”

“Like what!” snapped Ganasis raising his voice.

“What?” Talon answered as he winced his face in confusion and disbelief at his friend’s reckless attitude.

“Whatever happens tomorrow is going to happen, our actions will be what we do in the battle and not what we do the night before, I am tired of endless meetings, in the morning we are attacking the enemy, one way or another by this time tomorrow night we will know of our fate.”

Talon sighed at his friend’s stubbornness, some of what he was saying was true but nevertheless to leave the army and the camp the night before such a crucial battle did not seem the right thing to do.

“What about sleep Ganasis.” Talon then said easing the tension.

“Sleep!....you my friend are a young man, you are in your prime, why do you need sleep?? Ganasis snapped back making the two of them smile.

Talon shook his head and looked affectionately at the old wizard, “where on Kratos do you get your energy from old man?...by the gods you are relentless!” he said as he looked up at the sky thinking about what Ganasis was saying to him.

“I am not sure Ganasis, what if they attack us again?”

“Talon it will soon be night, they will not come at us in the darkness.”

“Can you be sure of that?”

“I am more sure they won’t attack than I am they will…would you face our archers in darkness?”

“No.”

“Talon, listen to me and look at that hill on the horizon, according to this map the artefacts are just beyond that hill, we could be back into camp within a few hours.”

“Show me.” Talon then asked as he grabbed the map.

“Talon, let us do this….let us feel the wind in our face and live for today…who knows what we will find, maybe it will win this war for us?”

Talon stared intently at the map, Ganasis could feel that the temptation that was now flowing through his friend, “Are you certain we can reach these destinations and be back by morning?”

“Talon look you hold the map in your hands,” snapped Ganasis as he snatched the map and held it to Talon’s face, “That marking there, is the ‘Temple of the Gods’ it lays just beyond those hills, DAMN IT MAN WE ARE WITHIN LOOKING DISTANCE!”

Talon looked at the map and then looked at his friend, he was still thinking that this was crazy but remembering the conversations with Ganasis about the spell book suddenly made his mind up.

“I will fetch the horses, but when the time comes to return we will return, no matter how close we are to the items, the battle in the morning must come first.”

 

After telling his grandfather of his plan with Ganasis, the two men rode quietly out of camp; Talon had acquired two Zanlian thoroughbred horses, the fastest horses alive. And before long they were soon in the lava filled gorges that was home to the Temple of the Gods.

The sun was now setting and soon darkness would arrive, lord Zalon told the king and lord Heikan what was happening, the king at first was angry and bemused but after talking to lord Heikan where the lord reminded him of how Talon left the battle field at Death Valley and returned with the Kesain and that he should trust Talon and Ganasis, he relaxed and then said a silent prayer for the safe and speedy return.

“I hope we do not live to regret this.” He said quietly to the two lords.

“They will be back my liege!” replied Lord Zalon with strong certainty in his voice.

 

The Temple of the Gods was a mythical place, heaped in legend it was created at the dawn of time by the first Degrainian tribes as a place of worship for their god and creator Anfinnis. It was supposed to have been built from solid marble and painted and decorated with pressed gold and silver. In the ancient book of Pang it was listed as one of the ancient wonders of Kratos.

When the time came for the god Anfinnis to return to the home of the gods the temple became less and less used, new Degrain leaders were born who did not revere their god as much as their ancestors did and over the passage of time the temple was looted and fell into decay. When the witches arrived in Degrain they used the temple as sacrificial ground and a place where they could harness their black magic and evil ways.

When the Degrains fell to the Kallick Empire the emperor fearful of the temple’s ancient history and power ruled that the temple be forbidden for anyone to ever enter it again.

 

The heat from the lava fields was almost unbearable upon the slopes that led to the temple, Talon started to get concerned for his horse as they rode carefully over the scorching ground.

“Ganasis, we cannot take these horses any further!” Talon shouted as his horse once again stopped and refused to go forward.

“They will be okay.”

“No, Ganasis they will not! If we want to proceed then we will have to do it on foot.” Just as his horse let out a loud cry and reared up on its hind legs.

Talon pulled on the reins hard and steered his horse to a place where the ground was not broken, he jumped off and tied it to a petrified tree as Ganasis joined him.

Ganasis grabbed himself a drink of water and then looked around the harsh terrain, smoke was everywhere as the ground broke before their eyes, they were now in the midst of three large volcanoes and standing at the bottom of a rocky mountain, the wizard gazed around certain that they were close and when he saw something on the ridge above them he pointed it out to Talon enthusiastically.

“UP THERE TALON, do you see it?”

“Where?”

“There, it is a path; it must lead to the temple.”

Talon moved to get a better look as a cloud of stinking smoke blocked his view, he waved some of it away and coughed before turning back to Ganasis, “yes I see something, I see some lights.”

Ganasis slapped Talon hard on the back as smiled at him, “come on Talon, let us go!”

The climb to the top of the mountain looked fairly easy as they ventured onto the remains of an ancient ruin path, Talon helped Ganasis across the craggy ground and before long they were half way up the mountain, feeling pleased to be out of the all the stinking smoke and hot lava fields where they had just came from.

The temple was now clearly visible and so were the lights that came from within it, the two men continued as Talon felt apprehension and Ganasis felt excitement, then just as they took a short rest to share some water they felt the mountain shake heavily. Talon looked at one of the nearby volcanoes and shuddered as he saw a giant plume of smoke explode from the top of it.

Ganasis smiled as he marvelled at the scene around them, they were in the midst of chaos as the mountains shook and roared spewing their red hot blood onto the slopes, the lava lit up the sky as it shot out and splashed onto the sides.

Talon questioned Ganasis asking him if they should leave but the old wizard laughed saying that these mountains had been acting like this for centuries and as long as they stayed away from the lava then they would be safe. Hesitantly they pressed on, step by step they climbed the ruined road until the temple came into full view.

Both men stopped in their tracks, shocked at the size and beauty of the ancient building, the marble walls reflected the light from the lava in the valley below and gave the temple an appearance like it had a life of its own. The gold decoration flickered as strong as the millions of stars that were in the sky above it. It was awe inspiring! Both men stood speechless as they marvelled at the fantastic wonder before their eyes.

After a few moments Ganasis started to walk forward, he paced slowly with a cautious look on his face, Talon followed where he silently pulled his sword and held it by his side, they walked to the large entrance where Talon suddenly noticed a sound, he grabbed Ganasis’s arm and raised his finger to his mouth telling the wizard to be quiet. Talon then heard the noise again; it was the sound of heavy breathing, panting like the noise of a large beast.

Talon reached out his arm and pulled Ganasis behind him, then slowly he led the way to the entrance, as they approached Talon could hear the noise growing louder, he tightened his grip on his sword and carefully looked around.

When they almost reached the door to the temple, something pounced on them from within the shadows; Talon was knocked savagely to the ground, Ganasis quickly rushed to Talon as before their eyes stood a very large ferocious looking beast, at first sight Talon thought the creature to be a large bear just like the creatures that lived in the mountain regions of Tallasian but as the creature came forth from within the shadows they both noticed that it was something different.

Talon crouched as he steadied himself for another attack, the creature growled loudly as it moved its head from side to side, Talon then caught the beast’s eyes and to his surprise the creature seemed to take a backward step.

Talon scowled as he looked deeply into its eyes, using his powers Talon attempted to send a message to it, “we are not here to harm you….we are friends.” He thought hoping that his thoughts could be read by the creature.

The creature roared loudly again then tilted its large ape like face to one side as it looked confused.

“I am your friend.” Talon repeated while holding the stare.

Suddenly the creature rose onto its back legs showing his huge size,

“It’s going to attack!” Ganasis said nervously as he saw it raise its large powerful arms threatening them with its claws.

Talon instinctively pulled Ganasis to the side with his free arm and then turned aggressively towards the creature.

“I SAID WE ARE FRIENDS!” Talon shouted sternly at it.

The creature again tilted his head and backed off a few paces, as it left the shadows the two men got a good look at it, the beast was like nothing they had ever seen before, it looked like a cross between a very ape and very large bear.

“What is it?” Talon asked Ganasis quietly.

“I am not sure, but I think it might be one of the ancient beasts that roamed this province at the time when the land was created.”

 

Ganasis had guessed correct, it was a GOLBAR-RIL, a solitary beast where thousands once roamed the land until they were hunted to extinction by the Degrain many many centuries ago. Hunted for their meat and sometimes used as slaves because of their huge strength, for centuries the Degrain condemned them to servitude taking advantage of their loyal nature where they bonded for life to anyone who fed them or treated them well.  The Golbar-Rils were thought to have been completely destroyed but here before Talon and Ganasis’s eyes, one stood menacingly guarding the strange ancient temple.

Talon once again repeated that they were friends and to emphasize this he returned his sword to its scabbard and then held out his open hands.

“We mean you no harm.”

Slowly the Golbar-Ril relaxed down onto all fours, he looked up at Talon and then laid itself down onto the ground, Talon slowly moved forward.

“What are you doing Talon?” Ganasis nervously asked.

“It’s okay Ganasis.” Replied Talon as he very slowly approached the creature, cautiously Talon knelt down and reached out his hand, he stopped for a moment as he heard a slight growl, he swallowed hard and then stroked it on its head, the beast let out a low guttural noise showing its content at once again feeling contact. Ganasis slowly joined Talon and knelt down where he also rubbed its head.

“There my furry friend, we mean you no harm.” Talon said smiling.

Both spent a few moments stroking the creature until Ganasis got to his feet and ushered Talon into the temple. The entrance had no door just two large marble pillars which the two of them entered, once inside they saw that the temple was completely deserted and that most of the ancient decorations that once adorned its glorious walls had now all been looted. All that remained was an enormous alter and top of it was a large burning candle.

“Is that the candle we seek Ganasis?” Talon asked.

“I see no others do you?” replied the wizard as they walked cautiously over to the alter.

The alter was covered with strange markings and formed from solid granite, Talon knelt down and ran a hand over one of the large tables legs and then rose back to his feet where Ganasis was smiling from ear to ear looking at the candle.

“Is this Degrainian?” Talon asked pointing at the markings.

“Yes it is Talon, but these markings here are TUSARIAN!” he replied sounding a little surprised.

“Tusarian! Here in Degrain, can you read them?”

Ganasis bent his head so he could get a better look; he wiped away a handful of dust and ash and then began to decipher what he saw, “It is in the ancient tongue…..a very early dialect of Tusaria…..this here is a warning, and this marking is about the candle.”

“What does it say?”

“It says the candle never dies……it….it burns for all eternity….and if anyone puts out its flame…..then a curse….a curse of famine and pestilence will…. will strike his kin and kinfolk….this marking here refers to the temple …..and says that if the candle is removed then the temple shall fall into the mountain whence it came.”

Slowly Ganasis stood back upright and rubbed his old face, Talon noticed a peculiar look that he now showed.

“What is wrong Ganasis?”

“It is strange Talon…most odd! I cannot understand why there are Tusarian markings on this alter in a Degrainian temple!”

“Maybe the Tusarian’s attacked this region?”

Ganasis gave a slight laugh and shook his head shrugging off Talon’s comment, “No young Talon, the Tusarians never reached this far into Degrain……if I was to guess then I would say that these markings were carved into the alter by a Degrain hand as a warning to any Tusarian who ever found this alter.”

Just as Ganasis finished talking he was suddenly shocked as without warning Talon leaned across the alter and blew out the candle sinking the temple into darkness.”

“We found what we came here for!” Talon said as he then reached out and grabbed it.

Ganasis felt a shiver run down his spine, he was not as dismissive as Talon when it came to curses and warnings. The wizard held his breath for a moment, fearing that something terrible might happen, but after a few calm moments he grabbed Talon and urgently suggested that they leave.

Once they walked outside they quickly walked away, Ganasis was looking around all over the mountain as he was still feeling apprehensive, then just as they walked onto the ruined path they both turned quickly back to the temple as an ear shattering crack came from within it. Ganasis stiffened and then swayed as the mountain shook and the ground beneath their feet cracked violently. Talon grabbed his wizard friend and pulled him away from the splitting rocks, “GANASIS GET OFF THE PATH!” Talon shouted as he pulled his friend away, they both then ran down the mountain until they felt they were safe.

Ganasis turned to look back at the temple and was horrified to see that it was shaking and shuddering violently, the two great pillars of the entrance then snapped and fell into the ground shooting dust high into the night sky. Suddenly the whole mountain again began to shake, the nearest volcano shook and then spewed another giant splash of lava, all around them seemed to be shaking as the whole landscape burst into chaos. Then to Talon’s shock and concern he saw Ganasis drop to his knees and cover his face, at first Talon thought his friend was struck by something but then Ganasis shouted to him to do the same, “THE SKY TALON!...THE SKY, HIDE YOUR FACE!”

Talon looked at his friend and then looked upwards as his intrigue got the better of him as he wondered what was scaring him so much, as Talon looked up he quickly then cowered as he felt terror at what he saw.

High above their heads the stars had begun to move where they formed a giant face in the sky. Ganasis gazed through his fingers and gave Talon a firm tug for him to join him on the ground. Talon squinted as he looked up and then stiffened in defiance as he watched the face come towards them.

“WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!” the face then said so loud it hurt Talon’s ears and sent a gust of wind crashing into him which knocked him off his feet. Talon quickly picked himself up and drew his sword.

“YOU HAVE DESTROYED MY TEMPLE, WHY ARE YOU HERE!”

“I did no such thing! Who are you?” Talon shouted back.

“YOU DARE TO QUESTION ME?” the face shouted in anger which once again knocked Talon to the ground.

“I did no such thing, I just stated the truth!” Talon replied as he got back to his feet and Ganasis again tugged Talon, trying to tell him to show more fear and respect.

“Talon, it is the god Anfinnis, do not dare insult him!” Ganasis uttered his voice full of fear.

“He is not my god!” Talon snapped angrily, a comment which made the face come closer.

“YOU ARE FOLLOWERS OF MY OUTCAST BROTHER APOLLO….YOU ARE TALON THE ZACHANIAN.”

“That is true I follow the divine god Apollo as do all my kin!” Talon replied sternly.

Suddenly the face broke into an ear shattering laughter, mocking Talon’s arrogance and bravado.

“YOU DO NOT FEAR ME, DO YOU ZACHANIAN….I COULD END YOUR LIFE IN AN INSTANT!”

“I do not fear anyone or anything.”

“HMM, INTERESTING….YOU SHOW RESOLVE ZACHANIAN…..MAYBE I SHOULD JUST KILL YOUR WIZARD FRIEND? BUT FIRST I WANT YOU ON YOUR KNEES AND I WANT YOUR WORSHIP!”

“I will bend on my knee for only Apollo; you cannot use the threat of death to rid me of my faith!”

“WHAT ARROGANCE YOU SHOW BEFORE ME!....I WILL KILL YOU FOR SUCH DEFIANCE AND SEND YOUR SOUL TO AN ETERNITY OF PAIN AND SOLITUDE.”

Talon swallowed hard and stiffened, he was too proud to plead but he now felt afraid for Ganasis, nevertheless he continued with his defiance.

“You ask for my reverence when you have forsaken our people, what about the centuries you abandoned us?  People prayed every day for your help yet those prayers were never answered. The gods did not help us when the Kallick empire massacred a nation, you did not hear us when we were living in bondage and servitude for countless centuries…..we learned to live without you…we learned how to put our faith into ourselves and now you appear and ask for me to bend on one knee….you are too late Anfinnis, we do not have need for you anymore.”

There was a short silence as the face of Anfinnis frowned, then it moved closer and scowled angrily at Talon, Ganasis breathed deeply as he looked at Talon who was now clenching his fist and tightening his grip on his sword. The wizard rose to his feet and joined him; if they were to die then they would die standing together.

“I WILL END YOUR LIVES FOR SUCH INSULT!” Anfinnis growled angrily but not as loud as he spoke before.

“That will not change the truth that my lord has told you!” Ganasis then added.

“YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWER, I CAN CHANGE EVERYTHING.” Anfinnis shouted as once again the force of his words knocked him and Ganasis onto the ground. Talon grabbed his sword and quickly got to his feet, eager not to meet death on his knees.

He turned and grabbed Ganasis and held his arm as he unconsciously told the wizard to stand proud.

Anfinnis then scowled furiously as his face began to glow brighter, Talon stiffened, as he felt sure he was just about to meet his death when suddenly another voice filled the heavens.

“LEAVE THEM!”

In an instant the face of Anfinnis suddenly withdrew, Talon and Ganasis looked into the sky totally confused at what was now happening, the voice spoke again, this time so loud it made them cover their ears.

“I HAVE NOT FINISHED WITH HIM YET, LET HIM PASS, THAT IS MY WISH!”

Then the stars that formed the face of Anfinnis began to move back to their previous positions in the sky as the face disappeared, Talon breathed deep and Ganasis let out a loud sigh of relief as it seemed like they were being allowed to live.

Soon all that remained of the face was only a mouth, “I WILL NOT FORGET YOU!” it said ominously before disappearing completely.

Talon clenching his sword tightly bit and his lip, “Nor I you!” he shouted back to the now empty sky.

“What are you doing?” snapped Ganasis to Talon angered at his friends bravado, “are you insane Talon?.....What arrogance you show to speak to the gods in such a way!” he added clearly furious.

“I worship Apollo!... he is my god and the rest of them mean nothing to me.”

Ganasis rubbed his face and tried to accept what had just happened, he was still feeling nervous as all around him the landscape was still shuddering and shaking, “ I was sure we was going to die!” he said as he grabbed Talon.

“I would rather die than hide the truth Ganasis.”

“Talon you go too far…I too would die for what I believe but I am not so much in a hurry to die because of an argument with the gods!”

“It was no argument…what is said was the truth Ganasis, if they don’t like it and kill me for it then so be it!....I will not cower away from what I live for, not for anyone or anything!”

Ganasis was just about to comment when something made him hold his words, before him he looked at Talon and realised that what he was saying was what made him the man he was! It was that resolute firmness of his character that made him the leader of men, a trait where even in the most hostile environment he held his nerve and showed no fear like other men. Suddenly and not for the first time the wizard was full of awe for Talon, only this time he had seen a new side to him, a side where he was willing to sacrifice his very soul before he yielded, that was something very special, something more rare than the a Clavadiash diamond. Ganasis lowered his head and calmed his temper, “the name Zararhakzar does not do you justice my friend…You are all of that and so much more my friend.” Ganasis said humbly.

Talon turned to face his friend, the volcano’s behind him raged making the sight of him look even more impressive, then in his meek and unique way he patted Ganasis on the shoulder and suggested they leave this place, he spoke in a voice as if nothing had just happened.

“Come my friend, we still have one more task to achieve.” Talon said as he ushered Ganasis away.

As the two men walked down the mountain Ganasis strangely felt safe, the landscape was erupting everywhere around them but just being by Talon’s side made him feel secure.

“I Fear that you have made an enemy today!” Ganasis suddenly said talking about the god Anfinnis.

Talon just smiled as he heard what his wizard friend told him, “I have made many enemies since this quest began, another one will not add to the weight…..I knew what I was doing when we started this war Ganasis, one of us has to put his head on the cutting block, one of us has to shoulder the burdens of war…I accept that charge and if it means my death or an eternity of damnation then as long as I free my people and we right the wrongs, then let it fall on me.”

“Your burden shall be forever remembered as your legacy my friend!....your courage and conviction is greater than anything I have ever witnessed…..the hand of Apollo is upon you Talon, you walk in the steps of giants and I am sure that if you continue on this path then all who follow will strive to find comparison.” replied Ganasis as he grabbed Talon firmly by the arm.

 

“Thank you Apollo!” Ganasis shouted when they reached the bottom of the mountain and he saw that their horses were still alive, Talon quickly ran over to them and stroked their necks trying to calm them as the ground beneath their feet shook and cracked.

“Make haste Ganasis!” Talon shouted as his wizard friend collected a piece of hardened lava.

“IT BURNS!” Ganasis shouted as he picked it up and tossed it from hand to hand.

“Ganasis! Let us leave this place!” Talon shouted as he got onto his horse.

 

A lone bugle high on the hill outside the city of Degrainia signalled to all the camp that dawn had arrived. As the sun rose over the mountains the king walked amongst his men with a look of growing concern on his face.

Lord Zalon had just risen and had just poured a pale of water over his head when he saw the king walking over to him.

“Have you seen them?” the king said talking about Talon and Ganasis.

“Not yet sire, do not worry my liege they will be here.” replied the lord as he poured what was left in the bucket over his head refreshing himself.

“The question is, do we wait?” answered the king as he looked at the mountains where the sun was rising.

“What do the other lords say?”

“I have not spoken to them yet, but soon the sun will rise above the mountains where the sun will be directly shining into their eyes, I do not want to lose that advantage.”

“Then we must attack as planned sire.” Zalon replied just as lord Heikan joined them.

“Arun!” Heikan said sternly as he approached, “the sun will soon be over the mountains, may I have your permission to ready the men?” he added.

King Arun again looked at the horizon and thought about Heikan’s request.

“Sire I await your answer!” Heikan pressed him as the king looked at lord Zalon.

“They will be here Arun, let Heikan prepare the attack.” Zalon answered.

King Arun looked at both men and then glimpsed back at the rising sun, he was uncertain but he knew the time was now upon him where he must make a decision.

 “DO IT!” he then snapped to Heikan.

 

A few moments after the king had spoken to lord Heikan the camp suddenly burst into life, standing on his strategic point on the hill the king looked down at his brave Zachanian army preparing themselves to attack the ancient city of Degrainia.

The king was in two minds however, he was eager to start the fighting yet he felt not fully committed to his decision. The memories of his decision making barely a month ago when because of his decision Zachanians lost their lives was still fresh in his mind, now once again here he was having to shoulder the weight of command in what was expected to be the most important battle of the whole campaign if not the entire war.

In the distance the king could now clearly see the city was stirring, smoke rose ominously from the walls, a result of the fires that boiled the hot tar, ready to inflict terrible injuries to anyone who got near enough to their walls.

The king was also fearful of the men who sat patiently behind the walls, beasts with huge strength and lust for the kill; he had already seen them in action and from what he had seen of them before sent a shiver down his spine.

When Zumal walked over to the king he noticed straight away the troubled look on his young face, the wizard smiled at him and grabbed his shoulder compassionately.

“Everything is going to plan my king, I have prepared a spell for the archer’s arrows, soon we begin.”

King Arun gazed up high into the sky and then swallowed hard, “let it be written that on this day we take our revenge upon our enemy!” he said trying to rouse himself and the lords who had now all joined him.

“What is the matter with you?” the king then snapped at Zumal, commenting on his lack of enthusiasm as he then looked over his shoulder and noticed the same look on the faces of the lords. “What is going on here? Where has their spirit gone? They look like condemned men walking to the gallows.” The king thought to himself.

King Arun winced and then pulled Zumal to one side, “what is the matter with all of you?” he snapped as he looked at the lords who except Heikan all looked tired and lethargic.

“Well…I asked you a question!”

“WELL?” snapped Arun as Zumal looked to the ground scared to answer his king that the lords of the council all shared a doubt of his abilities to lead.

King Arun suddenly stiffened, the wizards silence revealed exactly what was on his mind, the king clenched his fists and looked angrily over tom the lords, suddenly he was full of determination and rage, “time to be a king!” he said under his breath as he turned towards his council.

“TANAGA..KRAZMOS..ZALON..HEIKAN..MENKA!” he shouted angrily.

“Will the great lords of the five great houses join their king of Zachania!” Arun added sternly.

Slowly the lords walked over and stood silent just staring at their king, Arun patiently held his silence as he purposely looked each man deep in the eyes. Only lord Heikan stood proud with his head up high and his chest held out.

“LORD HEIKAN…STAND BY MY SIDE!”

“The rest of you form a line in front of me!” added the king making all the lords look at him in surprise at his sudden aggressive manner.

King Arun paused for a moment as he once again looked at each of the men before him; there was a look of anger and disgust on his young face as he stared coldly at each man.

“Zumal revealed to me that there is discomfort in the ranks, maybe some of you share this fear.”

“NOT ME MY KING!” Heikan shouted proudly.

The king grabbed Heikan’s forearm to show him that he knew that already before he turned back to the rest of the council lords.

“Down there in that valley there are men who trust us to lead, they trust us to deliver them this day…..But I stand here and look at your solemn faces…the same faces that form the Royal Council of Zachania…A council that is full with history of nobility and valour!...Every one of you stem from your ancestors who spilled blood fighting the enemy we face today….But I stand here and again look at your faces…the faces of my lords, of my commanders…leaders of brave and gallant warriors…..and I see nothing!” the king then hesitated as he thought about what he was about to say, then he clenched his teeth and began to speak again, “My council of war lords!.....what is that look you all hide?...what is that feeling you bury?...........could it be that my council of Zachania is feeling cowardice!”

“SIRE!” Lord Tanaga suddenly snapped outraged at being called a coward.

“HOLD YOUR TONGUE TANAGA AND LET YOUR KING FINISH WHAT HE IS SAYING…. I am not finished with you humble men yet….every one of you has a choice on this day, you can surrender your title as lord.”

“Sire you go too far!” Lord Krazmos interrupted only for Zumal to suddenly spring into life and rebuff the lord.

“Lord Krazmos! Show your king the respect he is due and let your sovereign have word with you without being interrupted!”

Gritting his teeth to stop him replying, Lord Krazmos lowered his head so that the king could continue.

“If the burden of being a war lord is too much to bear, then I will find replacements….lords who will inspire my brave Zachanian warriors and not lords who spread the rumours of poisoned doubt!....All of you before me has in the past gone beyond all what was expected of you, but today all I see is contempt in your faces….today we fight a mighty opponent, an opponent who smell our doubt and will take it to its full advantage for them…If we are to see the sun rise tomorrow then we must stand proud!..We must be an example for those down there who look to us for example!...Lift your heads up high and smell the battlefield, feel the flow of your blood as it pumps centuries of revenge…draw your swords and live up to your titles….live up to you ancestors and live up to the name of Zachania!”

As the king finished he drew his own sword and circled the lords, they stood more upright now having been shamed, but still something was missing, still they looked hesitant.

“When to attack…how to attack…who to attack…, questions which wizards and generals should ask, not lords and leaders of warriors!

Your charge is to rouse those who fight beneath you, give them strength and confidence…I am your king!..Who else wants victory as much as I?...If you doubt your king and doubt his abilities then you are not welcome to fight by my side…we are about to enter a battle which make no mistake will test our courage and resolve to the limit. I am proud that I am here, proud to be leading this great army upon Degrain soil…I place my trust and life in the hands of those who stand beside me and what I want in return is for those men standing next to me to do it with pride!...No matter what happens we must be proud of who we are, and if death should come for us then we meet it as Zachanians, we face death as free and proud men…men who refuse to live as slaves….Now my Zachanian lords, who stands by their king?”

There was a short silence as the lords looked at one another; Lord Heikan frowned at Tanaga as if urging him to answer the king, but it was Lord Zalon who acted first, taking a deep breath and sneering at himself for the way he had been acting before he suddenly dropped to one knee and grabbed the kings hand, he looked up into king Arun’s eyes sternly before he kissed the back of his hand.

“ FORGIVE ME SIRE….I WILL BE PROUD AND HONOURED TO STAND AND FIGHT BESIDE MY KING…..LONG LIVE THE KING OF ZACHANIA!”

The other lords quickly followed lord Zalon’s lead and one by one they kissed the kings hand and swore their allegiance to him.

King Arun turned proudly to Heikan and was greeted with a firm nod of the old warriors head as he silently said ‘well done’ to him. Now the lords were standing proud again, they were together again and looking at the battlefield with confidence.

“Now let us show the Degrain beasts why we have come here!”

WE WILL SMASH THEM INTO THE DIRT SIRE!” Heikan added punching the air.

“Down there across the valley is our destiny. Across that small patch of land we will finally avenge our ancestors…Gentlemen to our victory!” the king said as he raised his sword into the air.

 

Now the lords were feeling invigorated the Zachanian armies moved quickly into their positions, Lord Heikan’s archers were placed and lord Menka’s foot soldiers were brought to the front, just behind them waited the Kesains. The strategy was simple- attack the city and unleash everything they have at it.

Lord Menka walked proudly to inspect his soldiers; this was his moment, a time where he could show his king the fighting capabilities of his army.

For most of the war his army had been isolated down on the southern coast of Kratos in the town of Tallasian, where after capturing the town from the empire their duties had been mostly guarding what was taken.

It was Menka’s suggestion for his army to lead the attack because out of all the lords’ armies, his had been the least busy in combat. There was also a strong yearning from his men to avenge the death of their former Lord Zargar.

Among shouts of revenge and the sound of the drums, the lord’s army entered the valley and began their advance on the city.

The king and the other lords stood stern on the hill overlooking everything that was happening below, Lord Menka’s army increased the pace where soon they reached half way across the large open space of land that led to the giant walls of Degrainia.

The army was suddenly halted as the large gates opened and a legion of Degrain came forward to meet them, battle was now just moments away as the army shouted orders across the ranks to prepare for combat.

Zumal who was standing next to the king then suddenly drew the king’s attention to the large wooden constructions that was being wheeled out behind the Degrain soldiers.

“What are they?” Lord Heikan snapped as he jumped onto a cart to try and get a better look.

King Arun turned to Zumal and asked him the same question, the wizard frowned as he looked at them and shook his head slightly, “I do not know sire!” he said nervously.

“I have not seen anything that looks like them before….what do you want us to do sire?”

King Arun paused a moment as he gazed at the soldiers below, Lord Menka was beside him waiting for his command but the king now felt hesitant because of the strange constructions.

“Sire….shall I order the attack?” pressed Menka.

“ATTACK!” the king answered.

Lord Menka gave a slight nod of his head before he raised his sword and signalled to one of his captains, then a cry sounded across the whole front line as his army drew their swords and the attack began.

Eight thousand soldiers from Menka’s army now ran towards the Degrain, “let us see how they fight against Zachanian vengeance!” Menka said turning to Arun.

 

Suddenly the king was distracted by the sound of horses coming from behind him, turning quickly he burst into smile as he saw Ganasis and Talon riding over to them, Ganasis was shouting and screaming at the soldiers to make way as they frantically thrashed their horses to reach the king and the lords. The king’s smile suddenly turned to a frown as he wondered what was so urgent. When Ganasis reached them he athletically jumped from his horse and ran over to Zumal screaming at him.

“ZUMAL, CAST A SPELL TO CHANGE THE WIND NOW!” he bellowed with a look of great concern and panic.

Lord Menka’s men were now almost amongst the Degrain soldiers, but just before they reached them the Degrain soldiers suddenly broke ranks so the large wooden devices could be pushed to the front , Menka’s army suddenly froze as before their eyes they saw that five great catapults filled with the deadly spinal powder unleashed their deadly loads.

A moment later over five thousand Zachanian warriors were engulfed in a poisonous cloud, the men dropped in their tracks as they gasped for air.

“ZUMAL..CAST THE DAMN SPELL NOW!” Ganasis screamed back on the hill.

Zumal closed his eyes and urgently began to chant.

“AGAIN!” Ganasis shouted at him as he felt no change in the wind direction.

Zumal clapped his hands together and repeated the spell three times, Ganasis suddenly felt a gust of wind blow his hair over his eyes, the old wizard wiped away his hair from his face to reveal a look of relief.

“LOOK GANASIS!...THE WIND BLOWS THE POWDER BACK ON THE DEGRAIN!” the king shouted.

Noticing what was happening, Talon quickly ordered Lord Heikan to attack the Degrain with his longbow archers.

Moments later the Degrain army was mercilessly killed as the combination of the spinal powder and the thousands of arrows decimated their defence.

The field was now a scene of complete carnage as those who survived battled fiercely against each other, Lord Menka’s army were pushing the Degrain back towards the gates where more Degrain soldiers were trying to exit and join the battle.

Talon shouted out to Lord Heikan to tell his archers to focus their attack on the gates, Zumal instructed by Ganasis was now busy casting more spells which was helping the arrows to find their targets.

Talon then noticed that the Degrain were amassing upon one of the walls and had started to fire their own arrows on to the battlefield below,  “HEIKAN, TAKE AS MANY ARCHERS AS YOU NEED AND STOP THEM ON THE WALL!” he shouted to the lord who smiled back at him.

“Are you giving me the honour to command the attack?” Heikan shouted back at him.

“Take your men to the battlefield and avenge your son!” Talon snapped back.

Lord Heikan licked his lips and pulled his sword strongly.

“Heikan, save some of them for us will you!” Talon added as he saw the cold bloodthirsty look in his lord’s eyes.

“I will save you one!” Heikan shouted back at him.

Talon smiled as he observed the vengeance stricken lord run down to his army, screaming at them to attack.

“It is an honourable gesture you give him.” Ganasis said as he walked over to Talon commenting on what he had just seen and heard.

“Honour has nothing to do with it Ganasis, lord Heikan’s rage for the revenge of his son is far better suited down there than up here with us.”

“If his rage does not blind him”

“The battle is in full flow, down there we need anger and rage….let him have his glory, he has earned it with the blood of his son.”

Talon was then suddenly grabbed from behind and lifted into the air, Talon flinched but then heard the voice of his grandfather, “AARRGH you are alive!” the old man shouted proudly, over joyed to be once again reunited with his grandson.



© 2013 Joseph Gaines


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
Added on May 14, 2013
Last Updated on May 14, 2013
Tags: fantasy, fiction, epic, war, battle, adventure, magic, revenge


Author

Joseph Gaines
Joseph Gaines

London, Surrey, United Kingdom



About
Hard working Self-Publishing author who is a hopeless romantic and passionately in love with life, not existing but living life to its fullest. In my twenties I travelled the world extensively look.. more..

Writing