Bright - Chapter Seven - The Struggle is Real

Bright - Chapter Seven - The Struggle is Real

A Chapter by J.L.Q.
"

Emma has a hard time dealing with the remnants of her fight with Danny. She also discovers something about him that she hadn't realized before.

"

Chapter Seven

The Struggle is Real


The following Monday, I was late to school. I guess I had become accustomed to sleeping in every day and getting a ride with Danny, instead of taking the bus at 7:05. 


I walked down the hallways quickly, my enormous biology book held tight to my chest. I had Mr. MacDougall in room 16. Danny and I usually sat next to each other in biology. I worried about how I could avoid that. I couldn’t remember if we had any spare desks in that class. Please let there be a spare desk far away from the back seats. Preferably right up front and centre. That way I wouldn’t have to look at him.


“Ms. Roy, thank you for deciding to join us today.”


The epic punch line was followed by a small giggle from a few brown nosers at the front. 


“Sorry Mr. Mac.” I said, grabbing an empty desk at the front corner next to Suzie Lancaster. She smelled a little like cat pee, but I would take that over venturing embarrassingly down the rows of teens, to my usual seat, only to be met with an awkward encounter with my ex-best friend. Suzie smiled at me and offered to let me borrow her notes after class to catch up. I thanked her quietly and smiled back, opening my book. 


Mr. Mac was talking about Dolly the sheep for the twelfth time this semester. We had been getting through our segment on evolution, but he dwelled so much on that sheep that we were running behind in our curriculum. I relaxed a bit, feeling as though people were no longer staring at me. I tried to ignore it but I felt the gaze of at least one person that never broke contact with the back of my head. It took all that I  had to stop myself from finding some subtle way of turning to look and see who it was. I thought about fixing my hair behind my ear and ‘accidentally’ dropping my pencil on the floor behind me at least five times. If it is him, he’d better stop, or apologize once and for all.


The bell rang at 10:15 for our first break. I slowly gathered my things together, and Suzie handed me the two papers of notes that she had taken from the beginning of the class. I thanked her once more and placed them between the pages of my text book. I was just about to get up when Mr. Mac addressed me. I stayed, sitting. He waited for the class to empty, and I watched as Danny walked out of the class with Owen. I didn’t want to make eye contact, but he glanced at me before I could look away fast enough and my face turned red with embarrassment. Damn.


Mr. Mac made his way over to my desk after the door closed and gave me back my last assignment. It had a lot of red markings in the margin. And then I saw the grade at the top, big, bold and red.


“D?” I asked. I couldn’t believe it.


“This is unlike you Emma. I hope that this and your tardiness will not become a pattern.” 


Mr. Mac was kind of scary. He had white hair and very wrinkly skin. But he moved quickly, like a man ready for anything at all times. He was sharp as a whip, and it was a well known tradition that every class had gone to great lengths to try to make him laugh. None had succeeded thus far.


I continued staring down at my pathetic paper. I rubbed my fingers through my hair. My face couldn’t get a break. It had been hot since the moment I walked into the classroom, and now it burned hotter. I couldn’t remember the last time I had gotten a ‘D’ on anything. 


“Can redo it?” I panicked. What did people usually do in this situation, just shut up and walk away?


“I’m sorry, that won’t be possible.”


I felt like I might cry. I fought, and kept the tears at bay, but the lump in my throat wouldn’t leave.


“Failure is not always a bad thing. Learning to fail is one of the toughest lessons to learn in life. You’ll see.” He walked back toward his desk, clearly finished with our conversation.


So, he was trying to help. That was nice of him. But I still felt lower than dirt. He was perusing through some more papers on his desk and I saw him grab an apple from his drawer. He munched on it, then erased the board behind him, preparing for his next class. 


It was obvious that there was no arguing with him. I stood up, grabbed my things, crumpled the assignment and tossed it in the garbage on my way out the door.


I walked fast in the direction of my locker, still fuming. Ryan was there, waiting for me. I relaxed my face and mustered a smile at him. He kissed me softly on the lips, and wrapped me in his arms. I let out a big sigh of relief. It felt nice to have someone waiting at your locker.


“Everything okay? You seem upset or something.”


“Yeah, I just got a bad mark.”


“Oh. Well uh, I’m failing algebra if it makes you feel any better?” He said smiling.


“No, that doesn’t make me feel better. Why didn’t you tell me? I could tutor you.”


“Ou, I would love for you to tutor me.” He said in a sultry voice and pulled me closer to him, placing his lips on mine once more, this time not so softly. I laughed and slowly pushed him away. The bell rang and he stuck out his elbow, motioning to escort me to my next class.




#   #   #




The first week went by pretty quickly. It became apparent that Danny was just as set on ignoring me as I was on ignoring him. After a few days, I think we both just got used to it. If we did run into each other in the hall, we would both awkwardly hurry away from each other’s vicinity, and then that encounter would play on a loop in my head for the rest of the day. But bit by bit, it became more and more normal for both of us to no longer be friends.


Ryan and I went to the movies each Friday night. And I spent a lot of time with him, usually at his house. He had come over for dinner once or twice with my mom and I. We had a pretty good time, and he was always such a gentleman. The last time, we were saying goodnight, just in front of the front door, I kissed him as I always did. I loved how calm I always felt with him, I never felt nervous, and I never struggled for words. This kiss was different though. He held on longer than usual, and it felt as if he didn’t want to let go. The effort to reciprocate took my breath away. I pulled away from him and smiled. He took a deep breath and suddenly seemed nervous. I stepped a bit further back, his energy was transferring to me and I wondered what it was that I should be preparing for.


“I think I love you.” He whispered.


Damnit. What the hell was I supposed to say to that? We had only been dating for two months. Why did he have to say that. I can’t lie, but I can’t say nothing. He looked so nervous already. I couldn’t think of anything else, and before my mind had come to a decision, my lips already had. I kissed him once more, trying to mimic the passion from the previous one, hoping that would ward him off for a while.


He seemed satisfied. We said our goodbyes once more and he left with a big smile on his face. Well played.


I went upstairs to get ready for bed, I had an indoor track meet early in the morning so I had to cut our date night short. I did my usual bedtime routine, warm shower, comfy pyjamas and then checked my facebook quickly before cozying up under my big, warm comforter. 


My facebook inbox lit up orange.


KEIRA: Hey girlfriend! What up?? I haven’t heard from you in a while! I miss you xox MUAHH


I cringed at the sight of her name. But I swallowed my pride quickly. 


ME: Hey! Yeah, sorry. Been really busy with school + track + Ryan. We’ll hang out soon! Xox


I re-read it and quickly deleted it before sending.


ME: Hey! Sorry, been really busy. We’ll plan something soon (Y)


Send.




#   #   #




The week before halloween, our local theatre was having their own scary movie marathon. I had missed out on mine this year, so I was finally able to catch up. It was really fun dating someone who was so film illiterate, it was like watching all of these movies for the first time all over again. That Friday, it was Poltergeist. I laughed when we waited in line after seeing Ryan’s face, just having told him about the strange circumstances surrounding the deaths of the some of the cast and crew that worked on those movies. I heard a familiar laugh from further behind me in the line up. I turned my head on impulse and saw Keira’s head tilt back, laughing at something funny that Danny had said. Luckily, neither of them saw me.


I turned back to face the ticket lady and hurried my way into the theatre, Ryan following close behind. I told him that I would find us a seat at the back. He agreed and walked to the canteen to get us some snacks. 


The theatre was old and small, but it was dimly lit even though the movie hadn’t started playing yet. I crouched lower in my seat as I saw Keira and Danny walk in. They seemed to be climbing the stairs higher and higher so I looked down, trying to find something. I found an old magazine under my seat and started flipping through it. I watched them out of the corner of my eye and I saw them take their seats about four rows in front of where I was. I pulled at the magazine page, but it was stuck. Someone had stuck their gum between the pages. I tossed the magazine back to the floor to my left and the older couple next to me gave me a menacing glare. 


“Sorry.” I whispered.


Ryan appeared with popcorn and two cokes in hand.


“Here, yours has no butter, just salt.” 


I took the items from him and kissed him in gratitude. He was so sweet. Honestly, he was literally THE perfect boyfriend. He was kind, funny, uncomplicated, and he cared so much for me. I really didn’t know if I loved him. I wasn’t totally sure that he even knew whether he loved me. Maybe he said it because he felt something powerful in the heat of the moment. But I was glad that he didn’t push me on the subject. We sat back and enjoyed the movie. 


Just as the tree branches broke through the windows and snagged the little boy from his bed, I felt Ryan jump in his seat and his hand clung tightly to mine. We both laughed. Just then, my glance looked down the few rows of seats and caught the outline of two heads close together. They were making out, during a scary movie. How original. I rolled my eyes and my stomach turned. Their cliche - ness was actually making me physically sick. I didn’t think that was possible.




#   #   #




Ryan talked the whole drive home, but I had trouble paying attention. Something about Tim, doing something stupid with a beer bong at their last away game. He had a lot of stories that sounded really similar, they all seemed to jumble together in my head. I tried to listen, but I couldn’t stop thinking about Danny and Keira, how weird it was seeing them together like that. Two people who I once considered to be my best friends. One of them couldn’t stand the other one month ago and now they couldn’t keep their hands off each other. It didn’t make sense. Was I really so naive? Danny must have secretly been in love with Keira that entire time! Of course! And he didn’t want to admit it to me, because he was still so immature and afraid that I would tell her. Oh my god, it makes so much more sense now. But making sense of this didn’t help me feel any better about the situation.


When I got home and checked my facebook once more, I had another message. I saw that it was from Keira and decided to read it another time. I turned off my computer and went to bed.



#   #   #




Monday morning, Ryan picked me up early for school and we stopped for coffee on our way. We got to school before the doors were open, so we waited outside where Tim soon joined us. Tim and Ryan were laughing about something that had happened over the weekend, most likely again something that Tim had done. I caught sight of Danny’s truck pulling in the parking lot. I couldn’t stop myself, I grabbed Ryan by his coat collar and kissed him hard and long until I was sure that Danny’s truck had passed by us. Ryan looked at me dumbfounded.


“What was that for?”


Ryan and Tim stood frozen, they both looked unsure of what to do.


“Just cause.” I smiled at him. “You look really cute today.” I tousled his hair. Mrs. Smith unlocked the door and I hurried inside to the warmth. What is wrong with me? I couldn’t get a grip. Something was taking over, I was being dumb, really, really dumb and childish. But I couldn’t seem to help it. 


Ryan caught up to me before I got too far down the hall and pulled me back toward him to talk.


“What’s up?” I asked, removing my scarf.


“Did you get the invitation to Keira’s halloween party?”


“I’m not sure. I didn’t check my messages.”


“Well, do you want to go? It’s this Friday. I thought it would be cool if we dressed in a cool couple’s costume. You know like Batman and Superwoman.”


“You mean Batman and Catwoman?”


“Yeah. So do you want to go?”


“Hmm.. I’ll go, but I’ll have to think about the costume…”




#   #   #



© 2018 J.L.Q.


Author's Note

J.L.Q.
Sorry for the wait! Here is the first draft of Chapter Seven.
Disclaimer warning for anyone who has been reading the chapters thus far, I realize how confusing the narration POV has been, and this will be adjusted in all previous chapters very soon. I have finally decided to go with 1st Person + from time to time only when there is a chapter where Emma is either not present, or unconscious, we will have Danny's POV in 3rd person limited. Sorry if it sounds confusing! ;) All Reviews are welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It doesn't sound confusing......it sounds intriguing. And you haven't lost it. This is still amazingly compelling, and really makes the reader antsy for more (and to find out what comes next). My only comment is that you play with flow. A couple of sentences in the very very beginning could be conjoined together for better flow. Also, when they're walking home from the cinema, and she's wondering how Danny and Kiera could be a thing, that "they" by the antecedent is actually indicating Ryan and Tim, not Danny and Kiera. So you should fix that up a bit. Finally, I've noticed this in a couple of previous chapters, but you write Kiera as Keira on occasion, and just want to point that out. Keep at it, J! You're doing sooo well! Simply well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


J.L.Q.

6 Years Ago

Have you ever thought of becoming a freelance editor? Cause you are seriously amazing. Thank you so .. read more
emipoemi

6 Years Ago

Freelance editing has come to mind on occasion, I just don't have the know-how to set up a platform .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 10, 2018
Last Updated on April 10, 2018
Tags: young adult, drama, fiction, romance, pop culture


Author

J.L.Q.
J.L.Q.

Bainsville, ONTARIO, Canada



About
I'm 27. I've never thought I could write anything worth while. For a few years now, I have a book series that has somehow, been begging for me to write it. It's all I can think about, and the characte.. more..

Writing