Hydration

Hydration

A Story by Jack The Rabbit
"

I've always pictured that this is what happens when you're dehydrated and you finally get water.

"
     My throat feels like paper as I stand in line. Barely sustained ash that moves reluctantly, cracking when I get too desperate. I feel the scratch of the air I inhale as it makes the problem worse, drying up what little bit of moisture I still hold. I rasp the traitorous air back out in exhalation. Finally. The relief of water that has been kept at room temperature. I want it to be cooler, but I know it'll just take longer to hydrate me. I can ignore the warmth now. The seal on the cap snaps as I twist it, racing with myself to open the bottle. 'Come on.' I finally get it open and put the plastic ring to my lips, which are just short of cracking themselves. Without hesitation I tip the bottle back and the glorious water fills my mouth. The tissue expands and recovers from it's ash-like consistency, plump and full of water. My throat itches as the liquid does the same here, running over the dry landscape to rehydrate. I pull more out of the bottle and it spreads through my entire body, ignoring the walls of separated organs. As the water travels through me, little beads of it appear on my skin like sweat, though there is no salt. Soon it runs down my body in thin rivulets, like steam on a shower wall. Gathering then falling. My toes are wet and my flip flops squeak on the linoleum as I walk away from staring eyes.

© 2010 Jack The Rabbit


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Jack The Rabbit
I was in line at some convenience store or another and I remember thinking this. I write it now for your reading pleasure.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Relief. I could almost feel it as I read it. Especially at the end. As well as the rushing and impatience when they're in line and when they finally get the bottle of water.

I love how the person obviously doesn't care that everyone's staring. The relief is just so much, and they're so comfortable that they just don't care one bit what others are thinking. Wonderful. As usual.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I was right with you from the first line. The images are so clear... throat feeling like paper, flip flops on linoleum, and the water making its way through a parched body. The voice is sharp and focused... a perfect snapshot of one minute in this man's life.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2010
Last Updated on July 10, 2010

Author

Jack The Rabbit
Jack The Rabbit

Orldando, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
Jack is an alias that just happens to sound cool with 'Rabbit'. Both are names that I'll go by. I'm from Florida and I've been trying to get some stuff out in the world. My writings are all origin.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Jack The Rabbit



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..