Granite Chapter 2

Granite Chapter 2

A Chapter by JacksonSieg
"

Docter Harvey Macleod awakes in a freezing capsule, unable to remember where he is, or what he did last. An adventure of Science, Evolution, and Exploration await. This is only the beginning.

"
As the Crew trekked along, the sound of water became more and more apparent. "Running water coming up." Anderson stated. Harvey nodded, pushing through the strange lichen-like foliage. He was in the lead.
     When they came to the water, their hopes for a drink were dashed. The stream led into a murky bog. Harvey sighed, then looked around. He noticed the trees, which had completely slipped his mind. They weren't quite right. They had the hard exterior of bark, but it wasn't bark. It had a pale, gray, tough exterior. The trees in the area had odd flat shoots of what appeared to be lichen. Some of the trees grew fruit, or at least what looked like fruit. They curled into themselves, like a half snail shell, and came in a variety of colors. Harvey reached out to touch the nearest tree, which happened to be fruit bearing.
     "Lizz, what do you think of these trees?" He asked. Lizz studied the tree inquisitively, feeling the Lichen shoots, the bark, and even plucking a piece of fruit. "Fascinating... these trees seem to have replaced the trees we once knew... they're related to moss and lichen... and this fruit must be the spore carrier..." She cracked the fruit open, and peered inside. Its fleshy interior smelled pleasant, and was a hue of pink. Lizz took a whiff, then removed a piece of the flesh. She tasted it. "Hmmm..." she said. "I can't say it's like anything I've ever tasted.. but it's good." Anderson plucked a piece from the branch. He cracked it open, took a handful of the innards, and aimed for his mouth. Lizz grabbed his arm. "Hold on there, I need to test it's toxicity levels before we go around eating this stuff willy nilly." Anderson sighed, then dropped the handful. He wiped his hand on his jumpsuit. Lizz waved her hand over the fruit, then checked her display on the glove. "Ahh... just what I thought." She said, shaking her head. "What!?" Anderson exclaimed, dropping the fruit husk. "Its completely safe." She said, taking a bite. "Ha, ha." Anderson said, sarcastically. Harvey turned back to the swamp. It was eerily quiet. "It's strange we haven't seen any wildlife." He said, starting towards the stream. "Maybe the majority are nocturnal." Lizz suggested, following Harvey around the water's edge. "Hold on." Anderson said, stopping. Harvey and Lizz both turned. "See those bubbles?" Anderson said, pointing out into the swamp. They nodded. "Could just be gas escaping..." Harvey predicted. Anderson shook his head. "Nuh uh, the thing's moving." Slowly a creature emerged. At first, it appeared to be a turtle. But at second look, it was more snail-like. It had eye stalks, and no toes on its four feet. It was about the size of a cat. It waddled over to the crew, seeming to sniff the air. It arrived at Anderson, who was holding one of the fruits. Harvey slowly walked towards the strange turtle-snail. Who, by this point was completely oblivious to everything but the fruit. Harvey waved his hand over the onion colored creature, and checked the display. Suddenly, Evo appeared. "Hello, doctor. Good to see you're getting started already. I failed to mention earlier that one of my main functions is to name the fauna that you discover, as well as document it's origin. This creature is a Snublin, a distant relative of the snails you once knew." Harvey nodded. "As I predicted. It appears to fill the niche of semi-aquatic reptiles, such as turtles." Anderson gave the Snublin a piece of his fruit. "And a herbivore." He added. Harvey nodded. "At least somewhat. Thanks, Evo." Evo disappeared from the display, and the snublin, realizing Anderson was in fact not a small tree, quickly waddled back into the water. Its eye-stalks still poking above the water, watching the humans. Harvey adjusted his glove. 
     "Shall we contin-" Harvey froze, from deep within the Swamp, a rumbling started. Water swelled as a very large creature began to emerge. First, it's webbed sail rose from the water like a blade, then the giant body rose into the air. The crew was face-to-face with a 30 foot serpent like creature. Staring at the 3 intently. "Cover me!" Harvey said, waving his glove over the beast. Lizz raised her glove, aiming at the serpent. Harvey rapidly tapped the display as the creature swam closer. "A Vampire Hydra. Distant relative of the Sea Lamprey." Evo said. The Hydra released a blood curdling wail, as it grew closer. Harvey turned towards it, aiming with his glove. The Vampire Hydra was likely around 30 ft long, and had two very small arms. It's eyes sat on top of its head, and of course had a sail going down its slimy back. The Hydra froze a few Yards away from shore, and accessed the situation. It reared back, and struck out at the humans. "DOWN!" Anderson yelled, pushing the Scientists away. He rubbed his hands together, and as the Hydra's mouth sped toward him, punched the Vampire Hydra square in the face, a bolt of lightning cracking through the beast. Startled, the Hydra quickly dove deep into the swamp, as far away from the humans as possible.


© 2012 JacksonSieg


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
Added on June 30, 2012
Last Updated on June 30, 2012
Tags: Granite, science, evolution, zoo, animals, future, speculative


Author

JacksonSieg
JacksonSieg

Ypsi, NY



About
My name is Jackson. I, like errone else on this site, love to write. However, I also have a fascination with Zoology, Speculative Evolution, and Astrobiology. Basically, I like animals, how they evolv.. more..

Writing
Granite Granite

A Book by JacksonSieg