Chapter 2 - Jason

Chapter 2 - Jason

A Chapter by Jade Leilani

Crys Version

 

When we were new friends, I didn’t expect this primitive soulful bond to blossom or take root. As I think back, Elly was never just some girl I knew. She was the beginning of my life.  It never felt like I really had a life before we met. Of course, before we met I was pretty much a child. 


When I crashed into Elly’s existence, I was 18, finally at college and ready to do it all. Raised in a very conservative household, I had never had a boyfriend. Never snuck out. Never skipped a class. Never, ever smoked a cigarette or had a taste of alcohol. I’d never cheated, never really told a lie. It was Mom, Dad, my brother and I in an ordinary house in an ordinary town.  I got good enough grades to go to college, but I was never brilliant.  I studied hard, worked hard and played hard. I thought everyone did. Dad worked at the sawmill and Mom worked at the local grocery store. We spent weekends at the park or camping. Both Mom and Dad loved being outdoors and introducing Todd and I to the wildlife in our area, which was nothing like the wild life at college.


It was my first step into the freedom of adulthood when I met Elly.


**********


“We need to give ourselves a present.” Elly announced to me during a progressively frustrating Spanish tutoring session.


“Yeah? What do you suggest? An ‘I can speak Spanish’ tape with Cliff notes?” I joked, puzzled.


            “No, dear. That’s not a present. That’s torture.” She patiently instructed me. “The present we’re giving ourselves is a time out.  Jack is calling me.”  Elly slammed her books shut and leaned up.


            “Who’s Jack?”  I ask. She had never mentioned him before.


            “Jack-in-the-box, silly. I need food. You look like you could use a cappuccino shake. You can pretend its highly caffeinated. Come on.” She persisted as she stood and pulled on my arm like a kid.


            “I’ll buy and you can drive. “  She paused. “No, change that. You’ll buy and I can drive.” Elly laughed at me as she propelled me out the door and grabbed my purse.


            “Oh, food. Sounds good, “ I managed. My brain not quite keeping up with her actions, “Cappuccino shake. Are you sure it’s not caffeinated? It should be with that delicious coffee name.”


            “It’s just flavored. “ She informed me. Elly cautiously backed her precious truck from the confining parking in her apartment complex.  After the left turn out of the lot, she looked at me funny. 


“Is there something on your mind?  You seem a little slow today.” She tapped her head. “And you’re usually really together.”


            “Yeah.” I answered.


            After a silence lasting only a few seconds, Elly persisted. “Well...?”


“I met a guy.” I grinned at her. “He tripped over me at the book store.”


            “Sure.” Elly replied, “You’ve been the cause of a number of accidents in our area. What did you do, stick out your foot?” She kidded me as she turned into the parking lot of the fast food place.


            “No.” I said and shoved the truck door open. We charged in and gave our orders to a gum-chewing teenybopper with braces. Elly claimed a table while I waited for our burgers and tried not to stare at the gum chewers co-worker with pink and green hair, a nose ring, an eyebrow ring, a lip ring and a tattoo of a hand on his left cheek.


            “Thanks.” I managed to squeak when she piled our tray with goodies. After sliding into my seat and dividing our horde, I continued describing the incident to Elly.


            “You know that display of colored clicky pens at the bookstore?” At her nod, I continue. “Well, someone moved them to the bottom shelf and I was scribbling on a piece of paper trying to decide which one to take Psych notes with when along comes Mr. Handsome. He had like, eight books already stacked in his arms and he didn’t see me.  His knee caught my elbow and he practically flew over my head. His econ book was three rows down and the rest went in every other direction. “ I shook my head in wonderment as Elly was silently laughing across from me at our two person table.


            “Did you help him pick them up?” She questioned after a giggle fit.  


“Of course I did! But when he first hit the ground I saw him and gaped for at least a minute with my mouth open like I’d never seen his species before. He was so nice.  He smiled at me and I smiled back. Only my smile was like, “ I paused thinking of the perfect picture and tried not to laugh “Like Professor Cisneros. You know how she only smiles with her top teeth and her nose wrinkles till her eyes disappear. “ 


As I told her, I made the face and Elly buried her head in her arms. I couldn't hear her, but I could see her shoulders shake. When she finally peeked up, I snagged some of her fries, made the face and stuffed the fries in my mouth.  Elly shook her head and laughed out loud. I always loved making Elly laugh.

 


“You know,” She gasped. "You could almost be Cisneros’ twin when you do that."


 Elly sighed and took a drink of her soda.


 “Do you believe that assignment?” she complained to me.


I was sure my Cisneros impression had a lot to do with the abrupt change of subject, but my mind was still on Jason, 'Mr. Handsome.'


            “Your brain is in romance mode, isn’t it? You haven’t even heard me. I’m not sure how insulted I should be. “ She began, but I interrupted.


            “Oh my god! What’s he doing here?” I blushed and choked on a bite of my bacon cheeseburger.  He’ll think I’m such a pig! I thought, startled to see the mound of remaining food and empty wrappers scattered between us.


            Elly lightened my mood immediately instinctively knowing my thought and horror.


 “He’s probably here to eat like we are. From his size, and the eight other huge guys he’s with he plays football. “ 


I nodded.


 “And he’ll finish twice what we started. “ She joked.


            “Hi, Crystal. “ Jason said suddenly from right beside me.


            “Hi.” I stammered weakly.



 

 



© 2012 Jade Leilani


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on December 4, 2011
Last Updated on October 16, 2012