Together Forever

Together Forever

A Story by Sheri
"

This is a tragic love story I wrote a few years back when I was in school.

"

Introduction




In the year of 1733, Spain at the time, like her neighboring kingdoms, was very prosperous.  There was this 'New World' which has been recently discovered and there is a race in which Spain desires to contend, and complete victoriously.  Yes, this race against time, against her neighbors, her adversaries, a race in which will name the triumphant the most powerful within the world.  And with a little careful planning and cautious work, she just might be able to win this race and win that very title of supremacy.



A New Beginning



In the richest city of Spain, Casavana, there was a young man, who went by the name of Atama Cazgernore that returned home after a harsh day of work on the King's treasure ship, the Nueva Espana.  He had received news of the Nueva Espana's departure on the following day.  However, before he would leave there was one more matter in which he needed to tend to.

This sailor of the Nueva Espana made his way through the bustling crowds of Casavana.  "Excuse me, pardon me."  He stated politely, gently pushing through the crowded streets of his highly esteemed city. 

His movements came to an immediate stop as he stood before an extravagant building in absolute admiration.  Even after so many visits to this Spanish Castle the sight never once seized to amaze him.

Men from the Spanish guard were posted at the castle's main gate as well as the entrance.  Once Atama cleared his identity with both sets of guards he was permitted to enter the castle. As he walked into the palace's main hall, he could see the servants just going about their daily routine, entering and leaving the many rooms of this magnificent structure fit for the King of their land. 

Atama stood but a few feet from the entrance his gaze taken by one of the servants.  He studied her as she walked her head pointed down to avoid eye contact.  "Nadia!"  He called to her.

The woman looked around, somewhat bewildered by his voice until she saw him.  Her puzzled expression was changed into a joyous one while she promptly went to his side.

"Atama, you've returned!"  She said with a smile, a smile in which enhanced her features instantly making her even more beautiful to Atama than just a moment before.

Atama smiled lovingly at her, the love of his life.  Though his smile soon faded once he remembered his reasons for coming to see her that day.

Nadia read his emotions at once her own smile fading, dulling her once brilliantly lit features.  "Atama, what is it?"  She stepped towards him fretfully, alarm held within her dark brown, almost coal colored, eyes as she studied him for any visible ailments.  "Did you get hurt while out on the ship?"  

Atama grasped her hand amorously smiling half-heartedly.  "No, it is nothing like that my dear."  He soothed her worries gently squeezing her hand, his smile fading yet again.  "However, I am sorry to tell you this but tomorrow the Nueva Espana is being sent out to this 'New World.'  I'll be gone for quite some time."

Nadia pulled her hand away wretchedly, the news of his departure after being home for such a short time taking her by surprise.  A sigh then escaped her lips.  "I suppose it can not be helped." She said then raised her head meeting his gaze with a heartening smile.  "Just be careful, will you?"

His eyes shined with glee as he embraced her.  "Aren't I always?"

Nadia gently pushed him away, a stern look crossing her delicate features.  "I mean it Atama.  I don't wish to loose you so soon. 

Atama grasped her hand once more reaching into his pocket with the other.  He pulled out a silver ring then gently slipped it onto her petite finger.  "I had plans on giving this to you on my return, but I'll give this to you now as a promise of my return."

Nadia's features lit up while she examined the silver ring, embellished with three crystalline stones, upon her finger.  A loving smile crossed her lips when her gaze met his once again.  "Then I'll hold you to that promise."


The Months of Waiting



Numerous months passed since the Nueva Espana's departure.  Nadia was standing at the dock, awaiting the ship's arrival restlessly.  A few weeks before she had received a letter from Atama.  He had been mortally wounded while exploring the 'New World'.

His entourage had been ordered to build a church for their people; a place for where they could pray to their God and worship their king in honor.  However, in the middle of their construction they were attacked by the inhabitants of the land in which they had called the Indians.  Atama and his companions fought valiantly, driving the threat away.  Countless were injured; many had been killed.  

Then, while treating their wounded and gathering the dead, the Indians had made their second attack.  Atama was struck in the back with an arrow while aiding a fallen comrade.  He had loss consciousness from the pain and when he awoken he found they had been saved by the Spanish guard.

'We'll be returning shortly after you receive this letter.'  He had written.  'I just wanted to explain to you what had happen before you seen me.  I know how worried you can become.'  Nadia smiled at that remark.  'I hope you kept that silver ring, my promise; because when I return I am no longer going to be a sailor.  We can finally be together, my dear Nadia, without any interruptions and with no worries. Yours truly, my love, Atama Cazgernore.'

She looked back to the docks a breeze rippling across the water.  She waited there, like she did everyday since she received his letter.  She had lost her job, her home, everything, because she waited for her love to return.  

And though she waited for so many hours, for so many days, the Nueva Espana had yet to return…



The Awaited News



"I just do not understand," Nadia said to her mother one day.  Holding out the letter before her she sighed, "He wrote that he was to arrive months ago…"

Her mother promptly walked over to her darling daughter, setting a comforting hand on Nadia's shoulder.  She was a plump woman, Nadia's mother, with greasy brown hair due to the summer heat.  Her appearance did her no justice at all.  At first glance, she looked to be a horrific woman, ready to take down all who stood in her way of whatever she may have wanted.   But despite her looks she was a kind and loving woman.  If one would look close enough, past those barbaric features, one could see her beauty deep within her dark brown eyes.  For that, she was the loveliest of them all.

"There there, my darling Nadia."  She said in a comforting tone giving her shoulder an empathetic squeeze.  "I'm sure everything will be fine."

"How can you be so sure of that?"  Nadia inquired tears forming in her eyes.

"You can never be sure."  Her mother stated amiably.  "That's what makes this life so hard to bear at times."

They continued to walk down the path they had initially traveled upon.  The air was humid within their city as they walked though; every so often there would be a slight breeze refreshing the area around them.  As they continued their walk into the crowded streets, they could hear an uproar of voices coming from the center of the city.

Nadia looked to her mother.  "What's going on?"

"A ship! A ship is coming into the harbor!"  A man's voice yelled above the crowd. 

"A ship?"  Nadia stated questioningly at first before her face lit up in excitement.  "A ship!"  She squealed excitedly rushing off to the harbor, leaving her ecstatic mother behind in the crowds.

Nadia's heart raced as she thought of her true love's return.  She arrived at the docks in time to see the ship being dismissed of its people.  But something was wrong.  The ship docked at the harbor was not the Nueva Espana.

She let out a heart broken sigh as she turned away from the docks; her heart had taken too many disappointments in such a short amount of time.  She then heard her name being called.

"Nadia!  Nadia!"  The voice called to her from behind.

"Atama."  She said with hope, yet when she turned, he was no where to be seen.

Instead there was another young man, making his way to her.  She recognized him at once.  "Juan!"  She cried rushing over to him, embracing him tightly.  "I did not know you were sent out! Mama was so worried."  She lightly pushed him away and took a closer look at him.  They looked identical to one another and with good reason; he was her twin.  "Are you alright?"

Juan smiled at her.  "You mustn't worry, I am fine."  His smile soon faded.  "Nadia, I have something I must tell you-"

She waved off the remark.  "I'm sure whatever it is may wait till later.  Come, we must find Mama-" She began, walking away from him."

"Nadia, wait, it's about Atama."

She stopped, frozen in time by her brother's words.  She slowly turned towards him.  "Why?  What's wrong?"  She began her voice becoming more frantic by the second.  "Did something happen to him?"

Juan placed his hands to her shoulders.  "I'm sorry, Nadia-"

"No!"  She cried, hastily pulling away from him.  He hadn't had to say the words seeing what he needed to tell her deep within his eyes.  She placed her hand over her mouth to stop an oncoming cry of remorse.  "It can not be true."

He looked away from her, not able to look her in the eyes any longer; finding the pain in which they held being too great.  After a few moments, she dropped her hand from her mouth and took in a deep breath.  "What happened?"

"Nadia-"

"Tell me what happened!"  She cried unable to control her sorrow any longer.  The crowd of people around them stopped, staring at them, wanting to know what had caused such an outbreak from Nadia.  The streets were silent for the first time in so many years.  "The last I heard from him, Juan, was when he was on his way home."  Nadia said in a more calming tone.  "What happened?"

Juan took in a deep breath.  "It was on the Nueva Espana."

"Was there a riot?"

"No, no.  Nothing like that."  He said, trying to figure a gentle way to put it.  When he found none, he told her in plain words.  "There was a storm at sea.  The Nueva Espana couldn't withstand the force of the waves."  He paused for a moment.  "I'm so sorry, Nadia.  We were unable to find him"

Nadia's face was drained of all emotion as the words began to sink in.  "He's not coming back?"  Her voice was quiet somewhat distant as her gaze fell.  "He's not coming back…"

"Nadia-" Juan began reaching out for her.

She shrunk back from his touch.  "No!"  She cried turning away from him.  "Just leave me alone!"  She then began to run.

Nadia held the letter firmly within her hand as she ran away from her brother, away from the ships, from the crowds.  She ran until she could run no more, falling breathlessly to her knees.  Her breathing was rapid while she furiously wiped the tears from her eyes.  But it was all in vain as new tears formed in her eyes when she realized where her frantic run had taken her.  The area was entirely surrounded by woods except for the dazzling scene of the sea just set out over a cliff before her. It was the place where Nadia would play as a child; the place where she had first met Atama.

A somewhat calming sensation came over her as Nadia then stood to her feet making her way over to the edge of the cliff, allowing her letter from Atama to flutter down to the blades of grass beneath her feet.  Looking down she could see the violent waves crashing against the cliff side.  She wiped a few more tears from her eyes before coming to a stop just before the cliff's edge her gaze falling to her hand.  

On the third finger was a ring.  A silver ring with three crystalline stones.  The one Atama had given to her before his departure so many months ago.  She pulled it off, examining it closely.  There was something engraved on the inside.

She smiled lightly at the words, closing her fingers tightly over the ring.  She then turned her back to the cliff, stretching her arms out to her sides.  Without a moment's hesitation she closed her eyes and let herself fall over the edge of the cliff, allowing the crashing waves below to take her life as they had her dear Atama.

The words on the ring were simple but true.  They were the words of her promise to Atama and his to her.  She had not wanted to disappoint him as he had her however unintentionally.  The engravings were but two words; Together Forever.



A Few Days Pass



Sailing across the gentle waves of the ocean was a ship headed for a harbor only a few yards away, riches from the 'New World' held down below the ship's deck.  Leaning against the bow of the ship was a man eagerly waiting to set foot on this land once again.  It had been so long since he had seen this land, his home.  So long since he had seen the one he loved. There was a time in which he had thought he would never see any such thing again when he was washed up on the shore of that 'New World'.

He looked around to his crewmates, the ones who had saved his life, finding himself to be completely indebted to them.  A smile crossed his features.  'I will have to invite them all to the wedding.'  He then looked back out to the land before them as the ship crept up to the docks of Casavana.  A sigh of anticipation escaped his lips; the thought of a single woman crossed his mind.  "Nadia, I finally returned."

© 2014 Sheri


Author's Note

Sheri
This was a short story I wrote a few years back when I was in school. I had since refined it since when I initially wrote it is was not what I had wanted. It is fictional-history, mostly fictional the only thing I think could be traced back to history is the ship's name and the year this story takes place. Let me know what you think, it is much appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

nadia.....
it is somewhat of a romeo and juliet story
but still, it strikes a chord

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
1 Review
Added on November 20, 2009
Last Updated on March 18, 2014

Author

Sheri
Sheri

About
It has been a long time since I've been on this website. A lot of things keep happening but what are you going to do? I am fixing up one of my stories that is already on her and once that is finishe.. more..

Writing
Vanish Vanish

A Book by Sheri


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Sheri