Part One - Birth of a Jewel

Part One - Birth of a Jewel

A Chapter by Reece Medhurst
"

The Jewelhood dispute the possibilities of a seventh and uneven member in their allegiance. Will this baby prove to be a burden to the Jewelhood? Or a blessing?

"

Part One �-� Birth of a Jewel

            My name is Amethyst. And I was destined for greatness. Right before I was born, they were preparing themselves for a child that would have strength and power no other child had ever been bestowed before, they prepared themselves for a baby who’s powers and gifts lay dormant within his heart, They prepared themselves for a turning point in their lives, a turning point in everyone’s lives.

            But they were wrong

            In the highest of the towers in our kingdom, in the most secret, most precious room that they could lay their hands on, they disputed against my feeble existence. The Jewelhood.

            “It just doesn’t make any sense!” A man in emerald green robes said, sitting at the end left side of a large oval table, around five other figures. “There are six of us already; seven is just going to throw things out of balance!”

            “I agree with Viridi.” Said a woman in red robes directly across the table from the man in green, she stood up as she spoke. Dark brown hair pulled back tightly into a neat bun and her flawless dark skin shining beautifully in the dim room.

            “Thank you, Amore.” Viridi replied with a very pompous kindness in his voice.

            “This child is not wanted nor needed,” she continued, “The Jewelhood doesn’t need an extra to associate and train, and I personally do not fancy the task of doing so.” She spoke with a kind of punitive strength in her voice that not every woman has.

            “I do not feel that contradicting each other over the allegiance of a baby in the Jewelhood should come across as something worth arguing about. The fact that the baby exists is a truly remarkable and mysterious thing in itself.” An older man in teal robes said at the far end of the table, his fingers entwined with one another above his long, long beard.

            “How can this be wonderful, Mare?” Viridi said to him, “this baby can and will throw things out of order, it will ruin the Jewelhood and everything that it stands for!”

            “Then what are you suggesting, Viridi?” Mare replied, “Eliminate an innocent baby in order to keep the Jewelhood in-tact? That seems a little dark, even for us.”

            “If it means saving our authority and keeping balance to the realm, then I say yes, eliminate the baby.” Amore said, a flame dancing in her eyes.

            “That would not work, would it not?” a young, beautiful girl in gleaming yellow and golden robes next to Amore said, her golden hair streaming down her front.

            “What are you talking about? Of course it would!” Viridi snapped.

            “The oath of the Jewelhood clearly states in its pledge that no spirit can be removed or places by any of the brothers or sisters in the Jewelhood itself, does it not?” she spoke slowly, and would always annunciate. Viridi and Amore rolled their eyes to this ‘foolish’ outburst, but Mare looked at her with a pleasant twinkle in his eye, and a gentle smile spread across his face.

            “Thank you, Aurora.” Mare said to her kindly.

            “Yes, yes, jolly well done, pat on the back, but what does it all mean?” Said a younger boy in-between Viridi and Mare; wearing midnight blue robes. He was younger than Aurora, seemed only about 15, but he seemed more intelligent and logical than some of the others in the room.

            “It means dear Lazuli,” Mare began kindly, “that neither I nor anyone else in this room has the authority or the power to remove the jewel from this child, we might as well kill it instead. Either way it is an act against our words binding us here, so unless anyone else-”

            “Oh that is all just a load of rubbish!” Viridi snapped, shaking his fist menacingly at the others, “We need to get this sorted NOW!”

            “Calm yourself, Viridi.” Said a frightening, deep, sleek voice from the remaining silent figure, the man was sitting at the very end of the table, his forehead in his hand.

            “I apologise master,” Viridi said quickly, “but this cannot go through!”

            “Then what exactly do you intend to do about it, Viridi? You heard Mare and Aurora; we are bound to the oath and in doing so remain dedicated to it. Breaking it would by all means be possible, but in doing so acting against a force of nature and jeopardising your own powers and stripping your coalition to the Jewelhood away from you, leaving an empty seat. Which after all is what you want to avoid isn’t it Viridi, an uneven number of Jewelchildren? But if this is indeed what you want then by all means go ahead, no one will stop you.”

            “Onyx, I-” Amore began standing up.

            “Save your breath, Amore.” Onyx said with a sigh, “No matter what personal problems this may provoke, I must agree with Mare, killing a new born baby is thoughtless crime and at that, killing a new born Jewelchild is an act of evil against the Jewelhood and the spirit itself.”

            “Onyx,” Amore began, “We only intended to remove the child’s jewel, make its powers unusable.” At these words, Aurora lifted her hands to her forehead and gently touched the gleaming yellow tear shaped jewel sprouting from her forehead and flesh.

            “If you knew correctly Amore,” Onyx said, lifting his head and looking at her angrily, his black diamond shaped jewel from his own forehead gleaming angrily, “Removing a Jewelchild’s jewel from his or her physical physique is like killing your own brother or sister. These jewels that we are all blessed upon are a relic, a souvenir of the magical history we were chosen to be bestowed upon with. As I just said, it is an act against the Jewelhood and I forbid you from doing such thing’s to a mere baby.”

            “Onyx, leaving the jewel in the child’s head with surely end-up in causing trouble and mayhem to the realms-”

            “No, Amore.”

            “Master-”

            “NO! And that is my final word.” He said slamming his fist onto the table, making Aurora jump in her seat. He stood up, the black jewel glimmering in the light as he marched over to the entrance archway to the terrace, black cloak trailing at his heels, stopping at the entrance and speaking with his back to the five Jewelchildren he said: “This topic will not be brought up again, if anyone interferes with this child in any way,” he stopped midsentence and said nothing more, but leaned forward, and took flight, a faint trail of black smoke following his body soaring through the air above the kingdom.

 

�-�

 

            “Glorious! I just love babies!” Aurora said excitedly as the remaining five walked outside to the terrace outside of the single room. “I hope it is a girl!” Mare walked out after her, smiling to himself at her enthusiasm.

“You seem to be in favour of this infant.” Lazuli said to her. “Why?”

“Who does not love infants? They are ever so cute and beautiful!” she threw her hands up into the air as if to be holding a baby. “Oh I do hope we get to meet him or her, ever so much!”

“You heard what Onyx commanded of us.” Amore said through the archway, Viridi behind her. “You may become too attached.”

            “A foolish man is one who despises what yet involuntarily exists.” Mare said gently, his hand still together on his belly, admiring the view.

            “A foolish girl is one who loves what yet involuntarily exists.” Viridi said coldly to Aurora, and then took off like Onyx, a faint green smoke trailing him.

            “What was that Mare?” Amore said harshly, marching over to Mare and glaring at him from behind.

            “Hmm?” He replied as if he was unaware she was there, “Oh, I find myself reciting my most beloved quotes aloud. It’s very useful for an old memory like mine, dear.” He replied cheerfully.

            “You called me foolish, watch what you’re saying to you Jewelsister.” She said through clenched teeth.

            “Did I? Oh good heavens no! You see my dear, I said a foolish man, the last time I checked you were nowhere near a man; in fact you resembled what was at long range a very impressive appearance of my maternal aunt,” Aurora and Lazuli snickered loudly and as Amore scowled at him. “But don’t have anything to worry about my dear! Simply letting down your hair once and a while ought to do the trick.” Amore’s mouth fell open in disgust and Lazuli and Aurora had extreme difficulty supressing their laughter, while Mare simply smiled gently at Amore and walked around her. “Now, I think I’d like a nice warm cup of tea from Madam Jasmine. Aurora, if you would be ever so kind in to escort me there, I would like to have a friendly chat with you, you too Lazuli.”

            Aurora caught up to the speedy Mare, who appeared to have no problem whatsoever in getting to his destination, where he simply took off into the sky, Aurora following him, their long coloured cloaks floating like velvet in water. Lazuli stood up, when Amore stopped him and said coldly: “Pity you of all Jewelchildren had to choose that old fool as an ally.”

            “Actually I think you’ll find that you’re quite incoherently incorrect as Mare isn’t anywhere near or close to becoming or assuming the title of a fool-”

            “Don’t meddle with this seventh Jewelchild, Lazuli. Onyx said we’re bound to our oath and if you break it, you’ll suffer.” Amore cut across him, pointing a sharp fingernail at him.

            “You seem to be under the impression we’re going to murder the child. What makes you contemplate I would? If anything we’d welcome it with open arms, unlike some of you.” Lazuli replied staunchly. He walked past her toughly and took flight after Aurora and Mare.

 

�-�

 

            You see, when you’re born, you’re instantly given your own destiny, your own fate, but of course you never know what it is, only by experiencing it can you tell its tale. Some people are lucky, perhaps they will have a psychic in their family, or they are some kind of god child with some written prophecy, but then there are the unlucky ones, like me, who have no idea what they are or who they will become, the unlucky ones who aren’t predicted into some line of sacred magical beings, just like me.

 

            I could hear her screaming from the inside, I could hear it magnified more than what the people on the other side of the warm barrier could hear, and yet for some reason, something so small and new, I understood what was happening, and I could recognise what she was feeling, pain.

            I have never seen the outside world with my two paired eyes, but I knew what it looked like, I knew what people looked like, I knew what grass looked like, I knew what the realm looked like, I was particularly gifted for an unborn baby.

            The outside light hit my eyes like I expected it would, painfully and suddenly. Hands were touching my tiny body all over, bare hands that wrapped me up in a blanket and handed me to more gentle hands. The blanket wasn’t as nice as the inside of my mother’s womb, but the blanket was decent.

            I could hear her happy cries and how pleased and relieved she was, but my eyes were too sore from the sudden light, I kept them shut, like I was sleeping. Even though I appeared tiny and unaware of anything, the purple diamond shaped jewel protruding from my forehead was active, silently active, but active.

            



© 2012 Reece Medhurst


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The basic premise to this story has a good beginning. I found many grammatical and structural errors. I don't know if you want a lengthy edit on this piece. If you do, let me know and I will provide.
This left me with the desire to read more, which is the goal of all stories, so you are to be congratulated!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Vow I loved the story in this piece ! Just take the advice from Barbara for your next work !!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Another great story in the making - this is my preferred genre so I am eagerly looking forward to more of this story. Agree with the previous review, there are some small edits for grammar etc, but please keep going!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The basic premise to this story has a good beginning. I found many grammatical and structural errors. I don't know if you want a lengthy edit on this piece. If you do, let me know and I will provide.
This left me with the desire to read more, which is the goal of all stories, so you are to be congratulated!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 18, 2012
Last Updated on August 18, 2012
Tags: jewelhood, fantasy, amethyst, powers, magic


Author

Reece Medhurst
Reece Medhurst

New Zealand



About
Hi there! I know I haven't been active for a wee while, and I am really sorry about that! But I'm back writing more things :) No promises on any more chapters or a continuation/finish of My Verity, t.. more..

Writing