Bit 00: News Report

Bit 00: News Report

A Chapter by JakeAStrife
"

A news report warning gamers not to join the game DarkDays.

"

DARK DAYZ �" I �" VR DAWN

BIT 00: NEWS REPORT


"Do not, repeat, do not dive into the new virtual reality game DarkDays," A reporter repeated, as she stood in front of the Epic Impossibilities Game Studio. “The state of the one million hostages is currently unknown."

"Yeah, yeah," I muttered. "The game sold out in minutes; everyone was happy to play the very first REAL virtual reality MMORPG."

The reporter continued her rant, "At first it was all fun and games until a hacker known as ‘Z’ attacked the game’s system. Players found themselves unable to log out, and a reported spike in the game’s difficulty occurred. One by one, players have died in real life. We do not know what is happing in the game, but it has taken the lives of thousands in just one week.

Today the president herself has sent out a warning, “If you come into contact with a copy of DarkDays, and its VR headset, do not log into the game, or you will become trapped. The top cyber security experts around the world are working non-stop to find a way to safely release the surviving players."

I picked up the box from my desk and tore off the tape. I didn't order it, but for some reason, I'd received the VR headset on launch day. MMOs typically weren't my thing, so I didn't open at first.

Inside, I found a copy of DarkDays, the game.

The news report continued. “The hacker, ‘Z,' has issued but one demand; the top gamer in the world, whoever it may be, must complete the game. Then and only then will the nightmare end.”

A grin crossed my face as I snapped the micro-game card out of its case and popped it into the side of the headset.

Turning to face my computer, I looked at the email sitting on the screen, ready to be sent; a letter to my girlfriend, explaining why I had to break up with her. I clicked send. The next email would be for my mom, and grandma; I sent those, too.

The news report had already started to replay. I'd grown tired of hearing it, so I reached for the remote. The last words from the reporter were, “One Million Players.”

Sitting down, I carefully put on and adjusted the VR headset.

I hit the power button, and within moments the black screen booted up with a simple login and password section.

"I'm coming to save you all," I said. "I will defeat Z."

Using my thoughts, I typed in a new username, ZycuhHunpo, along with my typical password, SilentH21.

Staring hard at the login button, I said, “One million and one.”

With the click of the login button, I left my world behind, possibly never to return.



© 2017 JakeAStrife


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on August 9, 2017
Last Updated on August 9, 2017
Tags: vr, virtual reality, ai, video games, gaming, novels, scary, action, survival, death, hackers


Author

JakeAStrife
JakeAStrife

Pittsburgh, PA



About
Greetings and salutations! :) I'm Jake A. Strife. Currently, I'm the author of 19 books. Also, I'm a huge anime and video game fan! My Original Novels: Dark Dayz - 1 - VR Dawn Dark Dayz - 2 - .. more..

Writing