I'm coming home!

I'm coming home!

A Chapter by Jie Amarie
"

Holly finally decided to come home to her home country Philippines.

"

May 28, 2013 10:00 AM

I was enjoying my rest day by being a couch potato in my sofa until my speaker let out a horrible Skype call sound or ring tone if you want it to call that way. I stood up from my couch and picked up the call.

"Holly!" 

came out from my speaker. The pitch of that voice immediately irritates me and that irritation is the main indicator that I am speaking to my cousin Lyka. Lyka initiated a video share and I am foolish enough to accept the invitation. Upon accepting the invitation the web camera's led indicator lit and our face showed up on the monitor. Lyka smiled at me like she was a 5 year old holding a strawberry candy.

"What's up Holly!?" Lyka said with her high pitch and perky voice. 

"You know what I realized? Our ancestors discovered something great" I replied.


Lyka's expression turned from happy to curious. 


"What?" Lyka replied to my statement.

"Our ancestors, and human before us discovered rest day! And rest day is an important day, it's like a holy day for them! You know what?" I paused. "I may not be a religious woman, but as a proud member of family Chu? I diligently would like to carry out our tradition of relaxation and rest days". I said with strong conviction and pure sarcasm.

Lyka pouts.

"If you're not my cousin-sister (her self-made term for BFF Cousin) you'll receive the powerful middle finger from my left hand." She replied angrily.

I laughed with pride as I know that sarcastic statement went right through her bones. 

"So what's up Lyka? Why did you call me on Skype? We usually talk over the phone where you know it's expensive." I asked with a curious tone.

"What's up? You don't remember do you?" Lyka paused "You promised to tell me when are you coming home?" Lyka resumed.

"I am home..." I replied and paused "Do you see any of my co-workers behind me?" I said.

Lyka's face turned into something telling me that she didn't like that statement.

"Funny Holly..." Lyka paused. "Very funny." she said with strong sarcasm. 


Lyka has been persuading me to come home to Philippines, it has been 6 years since I ran away from home with hate towards my parents because I wasn't able to pursue my dream to become a Doctor. I ran away in hope to prove something, to prove that I can live alone, to prove that I can become independent. I landed on this job when I was 19 and I was earning 52,000 Canadian Dollar a year. Right now I am earning around 73,000 Canadian Dollar a year and that was enough like a wealthy geek. I live in a 1 bedroom condominium in Grand Prarie, the community where I live is kinda small and quiet. Going back to Lyka's question about going home, I really don't have a straightforward plan. To tell honestly if I go home I will be humiliated by my parents for not achieving something after years of working. I am 26 years old now and after 5 years of working? I wasn't able to buy something to boast like a house beside a like, or a beachfront house! But I have a black 2012 mini cooper;  Therefore I don't know how to answer Lyka's question, but I don't want to disappoint her since I promised her that I will go home this year!

"I did not forget Lyka, I already got a leave approval from my manager." I said lowly.

"But you said it's going to be hard since your department is understaffed!?" She quickly replied.

I was shocked! Did I really said that? Oh no... no... no... Dead end! I really need to choose to either continue lying or to say the truth that going home never crossed my mind. But here we go. 

"Yeah but we solved the problem by hiring new reporting analyst so I get the vacation." I replied.


Well it is true that we got a new hire analyst but saying that will not solve my problem for I wasn't able to ask my boss if I can take a leave especially first week of July! May God help me.

Lyka let out a graceful and sweet smile. I am relaxed that she is no longer angry.


"So when will that be? I need to know so I'll be the one to pick you up in the airport." Lyka asked with sweet curiousity.

I sighed "Honestly speaking Lyka, I don't have the ticket yet, my boss will provide one for me." I replied with shaky voice.

"That is fine! No worries! I'll hear from you right?" She asked.

Base on the tone of her voice she is pretty damn serious and will kill me if she figure out that I am lying to her or tell her that I won't be coming to home soon. Sheesh! I am now sweating even though the air conditioner is set to max!


"Y-yeah!" I said with a shaky voice. "Of course! You'll hear from me tomorrow." I said with conviction. 

"And before I forget! Get a boyfriend will 'ya? You've been single since the dawn of time!? What the hell Holly?!"  She said angrily.

I was surprised when she shouted the word Boyfriend I am not interested in such stuff! I am fine with my PC, MMORPGs, Anime, and Dramas! Why the hell should I get a boyfriend? That is absurd! 

"Lyka! I am not ready for that stuff! I have guild wars to win! I have noobs to kill! The people of Midgard is looking forward to me!" I replied.

"Seriously? How many times you attended the Guild War or Guild Raid? And what is your current stats in PvP (Player vs. Player)." Lyka asked with sarcastic tone. 


Alright! she got me there! I was busy with work. Lyka winks and ends the call! That wink gives me chill that crawled at my back. My life is in danger! Gasp! By the way I am Princess Holly Mae Chu! 26 Years old a pure Filipina who battled loneliness to earn money as a report analyst in Canada! I love playing video games, watching anime, watching Kdrama, and many more! I love eating sweets and junk foods but I am what people call NEAT! A person who eats a lot but doesn't gain weight. 

I drew my iphone 5s in my pocket and immediately start texting.


"Hi Carter, I would like to know if I can get a 3 months leave so I can go home to my home country?" I said to my manager. I threw my phone at the sofa and I lay down once again.


--5 Hours Later--

**May 23, 2013 7:00 PM**


I woke up and I felt like I slept like a rock, I immediately check my phone and saw a message from my boss saying:


"Yeah, you've been here like forever! Sure! Let me know the dates so we can get you a plane ticket! Can you also drop by here in the office? I know it is your rest day but I have a request to make. Don't worry you will not stay here for more than an hour" My boss said.


I don't want to go to work but I am craving for some burger so why not? I went to the shower and got my self a nice and refreshing bath. After that soul refreshing shower I dressed myself in a floral maxi dress. There's almost no traffic so I was able to get into the office in 15 minutes. I entered the office building which is bustling with people because it's a weekday. I saw the famous tarpaulin with boss' face with a slogan saying.

"We have an open door policy." 


And I passed by the pantry where I heard a voice calling my name, I stopped walking and saw my boss brewing his coffee. 

"Hey Holly! How would you like your coffee brewed?" My Boss Asked.


I smiled at him, I really would like to have a strong coffee at this point. But a sweet creamy coffee is what would like right now.

"Commoners way sir!" I replied with my perky voice.

Boss immediately opened a sachet of instant coffee and poured it in a mug together with warm water.

"To my office?" My boss asked. 

I nodded as we started walking towards his office. Curtis Mcmillan is the director of Reporting department of this company and is my manager. He is a 42 year old and is actually good at his work and good at handling his people and that is the reason I stayed at this company for many years. Curtis sat at his spot and I sat in a chair in front of his desk.

"Holly, I know you've been here in Canada for years and that is why I am approving your 3 months leave. But there's a catch." He paused.

Oh God No. 

"I am not gonna be molested here Curtis! I am a Filipina and I am conservative!" I replied angrily.


He place his palm against his face, that face palm means I got it wrong.

"Why everyone thinks I am a molester? Do I look one Holly?" He asked.


Well he does, but of course he is my boss so and I am asking for a leave in short notice so I gotta say something better.

"Well at first glance, but just like what others says do not judge the book by its cover unless you're a judge." I said with my voice sounding funny, trying it not to be offensive. 


Carter laughed hard.

"Funny! You never ceased to amuse me!" He said and paused.

"We'll to be honest, I would need you to do your weekly reporting even in your vacation." He said.


W-wait what? Vacation means you don't have to do something work-related right? Why should I do the reporting if we have new hires to do it for us?

"Why? Don't we have new hires to do it for us? Plus! trust them they can do it!" I replied.

Carter laughed with bitterness in his voice "Do you remember when we tried to do it? They thought the call center operations team can understand jargon from our department? They made things complicated when they just need to tell that everyone did a great job." he said.


I did remember that, the meeting with call center team went 3 hours straight when things should take like 30 minutes. So the next question is.


"What's in it for me?" I asked greedily.

Carter grinned like a demon "For every time you create a report you'll be paid like thrice your hourly pay. How's that?" He asked.


Meh, not fair I think this old man can add something else. Carter read through my face and he pouted.


"I know that face Holly! How about this? Say something you want to buy and I'll buy it for 'ya." He said with Indian accent. 

Oh! Generous! Now I can buy that razer laptop I've been dreaming of! My eyes was filled with sparkle! I can ask him to buy the apartment I am renting but a razer laptop is most important than any house!

"Of course I cannot buy you a house, a loft, or an apartment" He said.

W-what!? Drat! alright then! Laptop it is!

"First! I want a Razer Blade Pro Gaming Laptop and a Prada Leather Tote Bag! The Pink ones!" I said with excitement. 

The old man laughed bitterly.

"It's going to cost me more than 5 thousand USD? Am I Right?" He paused and laughed again. 

"Yes it is!" He continued.

Old man turns on his laptop and started typing. The old man types so fast! Old man showed his laptop to me and the screen showed the website Amazon.Ca.

"Buy your poison milady."He said with deep voice.

I started to shop my item I started with a 2000 USD Razer Gaming Laptop! A 17 inch monster with 256gb SSD, 2TB of HDD, powered by Intel I7 7700HQ, with 16GB of RAM, and GTX 1060! Fan Cee! This can increase my productivity by... nothing... hahaha! My excel can run with latest celeron or pentium! But I can create my spreadsheet, report, and game all at once time without lag! And if you are thinking that I am trying to promote and ad? Hell no! 

I started browsing for Prada Bags, I am really not a fan of girly bags but this time? I should take the opportunity of having one and bragging it in front of my cousin Lyka! 

I showed the item to old man Carter and he laughed for he know he will not be able to explain this expense to his wife later. He hit purchase and smiled at me.


"So you just need to wait for these items, I'll get your ticket first thing in the morning!" He said.


At last! I really wanted to go home now! 


"Should I send you home?" He asked. 


I smiled "Thank you Carter but no thanks, I bought Myka (My card) here. Plus I am quiet hungry therefore I'll get some food on the way as well." I replied to his offer.

I stood up from my seat and started walking away from his office. Night ended.



© 2018 Jie Amarie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on June 25, 2018
Last Updated on June 25, 2018
Tags: General Fiction, Romance, Comedy, Drama


Author

Jie Amarie
Jie Amarie

Taguig, Metro Manila, Philippines



About
A newbie writer looking to inspire the world. more..

Writing