Part One - (4)

Part One - (4)

A Chapter by Jimmy Greenie
"

A crucial day for Jonathan, choosing university

"

Just 30 years before Jonathan woke up on that crucial, yet seemingly perfectly normal day; 10 years after he discovered the punishment for practising magic in front of the “mundane”; Jonathan, now 17, with a shaggy mop of light brown hair, glasses and typical clothes of the time �" a polo shirt and jeans �" stands on the cracked drive  outside the same house, checking the lights on the grotty caravan hooked up on the back of his family's ancient people carrier. The car had once been a sickly shade of green, but fortunately age had turned it an indefinable dark colour. The caravan was similarly aged, and its ability to keep out the rain was questionable. However, remarkably, the electrical connection between the headlights on the caravan and the car itself were still intact. Jonathan gave a final thumbs up to his dad, who sat in the driver's seat of the car. Then he came round to the back door of the car and lifted himself in the seat.

Between him and his sister, now about 15, with the same sun bleached brown, now cut short, were piles of assorted essentials for a car journey; books, cards, snacks and drinks.

Just as Jonathan was about to shut the door of the car, a tall old man, with a white goatee on a face covered with crags and wrinkles, wearing a long flowing multi-coloured robe, strode up the driveway.

Jonathan's father opened his door.

“Hi, er, can I help you?” he said. Robert Snowbright's close cropped hair had become less discernible from his bald patch.

The old man stuck out his hand. “Fernando Karp, Elite Sorcerer. And how are you Robert?”

Robert gaped. “Fernando Karp?” He did a double take. “I'm very well thanks. Sorry �" why is Fernando Karp visiting my house?”

Karp smiled. “I believe he wants to talk to your son.” He nodded at Robert, who suddenly realised Karp was still holding out his hand. He shook it, nervously.

Karp walked past him to face Jonathan. “Going on holiday, I see. I do love caravans.”

Jonathan nodded, also taken aback by this seemingly casual visit from the man who had power over the entire world of magic. “We're going to Dorset. We go there every year.”

“Oh yes. Beautiful county. You know, it's also a site of one of the biggest  sources of magical energy in the world.” Jonathan nodded, politely. “Yes. Underneath Poole. One of the largest graves of the brave soldiers in the Great War. You should be careful around there. All sorts of distasteful people flock to these places. Nothing like a lot of powerful energy to entice criminals.” He smiled. “Still, that's not why I'm here. I would like to offer you a place at the University Magicae.”

Robert started and turned round in his seat. “What? I'm sorry, but we can't possibly afford that.”

Karp turned to him. “Oh, don't worry. The fees have already been paid for. In fact, the place has been decided for many years. All you need to do is pick a course, Jonathan.” At this he turned back to Jonathan.

Jonathan frowned. “Do I actually get a choice?”

Karp chuckled. “Ah, you're a sharp one. You'll do well at the university. Anyway, to answer your question, you do technically have a choice, but it would cause some large difficulties if you turned it down.”

Robert butted in. “Wait, you said it had been paid for. By who?”

“By whom. The place was paid for by your sadly deceased wife, Harriet Snowbright, before she died. She was a major benefactor of the university.”

“Ah, just like her to do something like that without telling me.” Robert said, bitterly.

“We don't speak ill of the dead now, do we? Now, if I may return to the matter at hand. Jonathan, are you willing to take the place.”

“Yeah, sure.” shrugged Jonathan.

“Oh, good. You will receive letters containing application forms and further information at a later date. Thanks for your time. Enjoy your holiday.”

“Thank you.” said Jonathan, as Karp turned and headed back up the road.

“Well, I suppose that's good, huh?” said Sarah, his sister, as Jonathan shut his door

“Hmmm.” Robert sounded less than sure, as he began to roll off the driveway.



© 2011 Jimmy Greenie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
Added on August 11, 2011
Last Updated on August 11, 2011


Author

Jimmy Greenie
Jimmy Greenie

my nearest city is too far away to be useful



About
Hey peeps. Sorry I haven't been on in a while, but I am back, and I am ready to dive into my 30 odd read requests, although that will take me a veeeery long time. :D more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jimmy Greenie