The Science of Deduction

The Science of Deduction

A Story by JaneFoxscale
"

I was challenged by a friend to write what I thought would happen if I were to encounter Sherlock, and this is what I got.

"
I hate seventh grade. I hate math. I hate society. I hate asking questions, especially when the only person to ask is Sherlock Holmes. But, some things cannot be escaped, especially when those things determine whether you pass or fail.
"Sherlock?" I whispered to my partner.
"What?" He hardly looked from his thick book, his voice droning from the displeasure.
"Sorry to bother you again.. Umm, how do you get number seven?" I stared at him after I asked, and he stared back. His eyes full of boredom.
He finally broke the silence. "Again?"
"This is a different one. But, yeah."
He sighed and slammed his book, I suppose he had already memorized the page he was on. I slid my paper onto his desk, and he seized my chewed pencil. I watched over his hunched shoulder as he scribbled the set of principles onto the side of my worksheet. I timidly brought my paper back when I saw he was done, and gave him a sheepish smile. He smiled back, but it was short and fake. I heard him grumble a bunch of nonsense while he opened his book again, but it didn't matter. Question seven made sense now at least. And even if I felt dumb now, he would be asking my help when we have to memorize facts about the solar system come science class.

With the dismissal bell at four 'o clock students poured out of the cramped hallways and into the sunshine. I went to my spot on the brick wall, watching all my peers as they shouted with glee and left for home. Soon the other outcasts joined me, all of us a good space between the next to emphasize our seclusion. Sherlock and his brother came to me, a surprise to say the least. Mycroft elbowed his little brother in the back, shoving him forward. After the two bickered for a moment they remembered why they came and looked to me. " Hello, Jane." Sherlock didn't sound very pleased, his eyes cast to the grassy ground.
"Hey Sherlock."
"My mother is wanting you over."
"Your mother?"
"Yes, 'my mother'. I already said that didn't I Jane?" Sherlock looked at me now, his frustration very obvious.
"Please excuse little brother," Mycroft spoke apologetically, but I could see that speaking to me was a pain for him as well. "Our mother is friends with yours at work, and your mum needed you to come over as she will be busy tonight. I'll be walking us home."
I looked around, unsure if what they were saying was true. But, after seeing Sherlock again I saw that he really would rather me go to an empty house. They wouldn't lie to get me to their house unless they actually wanted me there.
" Okay. Thanks." I grabbed my bag and popped off the wall, enjoying the two foot fall. When my pack was over my shoulder and I ready to leave, the two brothers turned curtly and led the way.

I had lagged behind the majority of the walk. The brothers were speaking so ruthlessly that I hadn't really wanted to interrupt. Instead I had kicked a rock ahead of me, thinking most of the way to their house. It was annoying, really. They thought I was too dumb to notice their offhanded glances back at me. I was going to get them back.

Mycroft fiddled with the biscuit that his mother had given him, and Sherlock sat slumped over in his armchair dissecting a frog on a plater. In the kitchen their mother hummed a short tune on replay, while stirring a fat pot of soup. I had an entire couch to myself, blankly staring at my math sheet. I wasn't about to ask for help.
"So, Jane, problem with number seven again? I can't believe you haven't even memorized the answer key yet." Sherlock had spoken, breaking the thin layer of ice and simply making me feel more awkward. "Look, number forteen is -85, number sixteen is 52.66. Those were the ones you couldn't figure, right?"
After quickly scribbling down the answers, I realized what he had just done. "Yeah, how'd you know that?"
"Obvious isn't it? Well, perhaps for me. I don't think you would understand, with your dull mind and all."
I swung my head back to my paper and began radiating my anger, but then my plan came back to me. I calmed down and didn't let him or the terrible frog gut smell get to me.
"Sherlock, ... Manners." Mycroft and Sherlock stared at each other, exchanging hidden words. Mycrofts hidden in his brotherly " smile", Sherlocks in his tight glare.
I decided to put my plan into action. I made a small laugh leave me.
"What, what is it? Why are you laughing?" Sherlock put his tools down when Mycroft too smiled and left the room.
"I don't understand. What's so funny?"
I opened my mouth as if I was going to say something, then stopped and laughed a bit more.
"Stop it, stop laughing! It's not funny."
"Yes it is." I giggled more after seeing his confused face, and then I saw that he was desperately analyzing the room. He came back to me, and I saw his mind working much too fast on the problem.
Pure gold.

© 2016 JaneFoxscale


Author's Note

JaneFoxscale
Comments? Good, bad, I will gladly take it all.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

OMG I LOOOOVED IT !!! oh i just loved the flow of the story even though my laptop battery was dying i still wanted to read on. you really got that hook in the story , are you going to finish the story on what happens next . please tell me your going to write what happens next. i wanna seeee!!! can you sense my impatience this is just too good man just too good.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Sangeetha

8 Years Ago

Your welcome honey I can't like get enough of this stuff you must continue ..at least for my sake pl.. read more
JaneFoxscale

8 Years Ago

Well thanks. My teacher today just mauled my paper and it was really depressing... I try to have an .. read more
Sangeetha

8 Years Ago

You gotta be kidding me right what is it with Teachers these days? I think their problem is that the.. read more
Super Good. The only problem I had was distinguishing the age and school-level Sherlock and Mycroft were in. I kept imagining Benedict Cumberbatch's face on a young Sherlock Holmes... Disturbing to say the least...

Posted 8 Years Ago


JaneFoxscale

8 Years Ago

Hahaha oh my gosh the mental image will never be the same again... Thank you, I'll go back and try t.. read more
I NEED THE NEXT PART!!!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


JaneFoxscale

8 Years Ago

Thank you babe! Okay, I'll try when I have time.
I like it! I like it a lot! I think it's very funny and clever. I hope you can continue it!

Posted 8 Years Ago


JaneFoxscale

8 Years Ago

Ha, thank You! We who love Sherlock must do something with our time after all. Again, than you so mu.. read more
I enjoyed this Jane, this is how I would picture both Sherlock and his brother, impatient with those who do not deduce at their rapid pace. Lovely quick read!

Posted 8 Years Ago


JaneFoxscale

8 Years Ago

Thank You! I tried to make it as realistic as possible, and at the same time get rid of my need for .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 4, 2016
Last Updated on January 27, 2016
Tags: Sherlock, school, stupid, grumpy, intellectual