The Lost Sock Brigade

The Lost Sock Brigade

A Story by Janice L.
"

children's story about lost socks being discovered

"

A sock should be seen and not heard. This would be ideal. However, sometimes a sock needs to put its best foot forward and let its presence be known.


Baldwin was a loner. This was not his choice but his lot in life. He was lost…under the dryer. He was wrinkled and dusty. He used to be the life of the party. Now he was just cold and lonely.


Along came Sheila. She was an orphan. Slipped through the cracks of the laundry basket and stepped on more times than she could count. When Sheila saw Baldwin, they felt an instant attraction.


Months passed and Sheila and Baldwin were joined by many others. They came in a variety of sizes and colors. One was a long, flexible, red sock who everyone called Big Red. Another one was a thick woolly sock that was as stiff as a board, so they called him Tank. There was Pinky, Stinky, and Fred. Every sock for himself was not THEIR motto. They formed a brigade and decided to take matters into their own hands. Together they would be reunited with their mates.


While Baldwin and Sheila wanted to help the others, they no longer cared to find their original mates. They decided to lead the brigade but stay together as long as they could.


One evening Sheila and Baldwin yelled to the troops, “Socks unite!” The socks all gathered around them while they told them their plan. It was risky and required them all to go into stealth mode. “Socks thrive in stealth mode,” they told the group.


They all got into formation, Big Red volunteering to take point with Tank following close behind. As silently as they came, they left the shadows of the basement.


Big Red tip-toed up the stairs, Pinky and Stinky brought up the rear. Sliding across the wooden floor in the living room, they landed softly near the hallway, crouching on their heels. One by one, they flung themselves on the floor in the hallway. Baldwin and Sheila took center stage. As loud as they could, they belted out the chorus to “Footloose.” They were strong singers, who had a flare for the dramatic. The song floated through the air and it's audience was spellbound.

At the end of the chorus, all of the other socks who had been hiding suddenly burst out of their hiding places and started dancing. Everyone in the house was staring with their mouths agape at the socks who had triumphantly made their presence known. Sheila and Baldwin snuck out of sight, leaving the rest of the brigade out in the open. They were finally found, by their own volition.


Sometimes a sock needs to be heard in order to be seen.

© 2019 Janice L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

To all the lost socks I’ve known before who have been trounced, spurned and burned there is still hope! Sometimes to be paired is not so fair so when I don my feet they don’t compete if they ever match complete it’s accidentally! Cute story:)

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 9, 2019
Last Updated on September 9, 2019
Tags: children's book, socks, brigade

Author

Janice L.
Janice L.

PA



About
Been writing most of my life, but not always willing to put myself out there. Like opinions, but not necessarily ones that are only critical without cause. Writing is something that is in me and I'm .. more..

Writing