Two

Two

A Chapter by Jared Grace

TWO


I believe entertainment is everything. Shakespeare said: “All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts.”

Felicia and I live by this philosophy. In show business, from the moment you step out of bed till you get back in, you have to put on a show, always. Only the most enigmatic are the most memorable and the most memorable are usually the most successful. To be forgotten means death in our world.

Everyone else left and it was just us and Cassius. “Let’s talk business”, he said.

I frowned. “I’m not sure I really want to do this anymore. If you wanted to do serious business you would have brought in Grayson already”, I said.

“I heard you were the cool headed one”, Cassius said.

“It seems reports of my patience have been greatly exaggerated”, I said.

Cassius looked at Felicia. “Mrs. Johnson, can I call you Felicia?” he asked.

 “No”, she said to Cassius’s dismay. “I’m just kidding. Felicia is fine. So what do you do here, Cassius?”

Cassius laughed. “You got me. You were provoking me the whole time”, he said.

“No”, Felicia said. “We just wanted to establish some ground rules. Nobody commands our respect. My husband and I were in the entertainment business before you got into high school. What matters most in business is longevity. You may be new now and everyone loves you, but what happens when something else comes to town? You’re smart you know what happens.”

Cassius sighed. “What do you want?”

“My husband already told you. We want Grayson here. Only then will we talk”, she said.

“Fine. He travelled yesterday. He should be back within a week. I-”

“-Tomorrow” Felicia cut in.

“What?”

“You have 24 hours. We want him here tomorrow.”

“But he-”

Felicia shook her head. “It’s only fair. If we want to start afresh, we must really start from ground zero. We came all the way to meet you. It’s only fair you do the same for us”, she said.

Cassius sighed. Then scratched his head. “Okay, fine.”

As we walked out, I looked through the news on my phone.

“Huh.”

“What is it?”

“Some guy was found dead this morning. He’s supposed to be a high ranking officer of Don Carleone”, I said.

“So?”

“I have a feeling things are about to get very interesting”, I said.

There was a knock on the door. “Come in.”

A young woman came in and sat down. “And what can I do for you?” the young Reverend asked the woman.

 

Nine months later, Reverend Jonathan was called before the Council. “Are you aware of the charges being brought before you by this young woman?” they asked.

“I am”, he said.

“And what do you have to say for yourself?”

“As surely as God is my witness, I am innocent”, he said.

“Go on.”

“She approached me because she was having trouble in her marriage. And I told her that it wasn’t proper for people to see her meeting me alone at odd hours. It sent the wrong impression. And after years of news of pastoral scandals, the church has become more skeptical of its leaders.”

“And then?”

“And then I escorted her out of my office. Nothing happened.”

One of the men on the Council took out a piece of paper. “Can you really say that after seeing this?” he asked.

Rev. Jonathan moved closer and took it. It was a paternity test, saying he was most definitely the father.

“That’s impossible. I never had sexual relations with this woman”, he said.

“That’s what Bill Clinton said. So unless there’s more to your story…Mr. Jonathan, effective immediately, you’re no longer a Minister of this Church.”

Jonathan blinked. “No. no. There has to be some mistake. Someone is out to get me. These results could be forged. That woman didn’t start attending this church until a year ago. Don’t you see? Someone is trying to frame me!”

Just then the guards burst in and carried him away.

 

“And that sets me one step closer to achieving my goal”, Douglas said, drinking nonalcoholic wine. Like Jonathan, he too was a Charismatic (personality, not denominational) preacher. Unlike Jonathan however, he was more ambitious.

“So did he do it?” Karen asked.

“Do what?” Douglas asked feigning ignorance.

“You know what”, she said.

Douglas put down his wineglass. “What do you think? I’m a man of God. Do you really think I would commit the sin of bearing false witness?”

“Would you?”

“I’m not sure I know you anymore. So you have to tell me-”

“-Is that a threat I hear? You’re a stay at home Mom, the only money we make is from my theological lectures at the Christian University and allowance for being a pastor. If you do anything to jeopardize our marriage, you and the kids will suffer a lot.”

“Then don’t put me in a situation where I might do something like that, Douglas”, Karen said.

“Darling, I’m only doing the will of God. You have nothing to worry about. Those that carry out the will of the Father are kept protected.”



© 2016 Jared Grace


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on December 13, 2016
Last Updated on December 13, 2016


Author

Jared Grace
Jared Grace

Accra, Not Applicable, Ghana



About
I finished my first trilogy: the chosen. Which was ironic because I wanted it to be anything but. Trilogies are so cliche now. Another change is that I've gone from committed evangelical to full blow.. more..

Writing
ONE ONE

A Chapter by Jared Grace


TWO TWO

A Chapter by Jared Grace