Life of a medical student- The Exams!

Life of a medical student- The Exams!

A Story by JasKunwar Singh

"I am so fed up with the never-so-ending studies. Leave me alone now please. I don't want you anymore.'', I said to my medicine book. 



"No please don't go mate. You are still left with fifty-odd pages of the chapter and you have an exam tomorrow.''

''But I really want a break now. I can't make myself sit with you. Please let me go.''

I stood up to drink some water. The clock on the wall gave another warning- 2:15 am

My head and back ached a lot. But somehow I had to get back to my chair and study.

''I told you not to leave me. Complete the chapter now and sleep.''

''Okay fine. I am sorry!'' :(



2:30..  3:00..  3:30..
 the time seemed to travel so damn fast and  I was still there struggling to finish the last ten-odd pages. Five cups of coffee and two painkillers already taken, I struggled to focus upon the words and illustrations given in the book. The various types and forms of cells in different stages of lymphomas and leukemias, the photomicrographs of blood smears in anemias and the classification of anemias itself, coagulation cascade and its implication in various disorders and factor- deficiencies still haunted me that night. I completed the chapter somehow at 4 and went to bed. 



But was I able to sleep? Even worse. I was so much stressed and with the pain in my head, I just couldn't even lie down. I got freaked out and started overthinking about the exam in a few hours from now. Bad thoughts and ideas of failure or inability to perform well started hovering over my mind. All of a sudden I was forgetting everything that I had just read a few minutes ago. 


I tried to calm myself down, drank loads of water, took some deep breaths and prayed to God for the good. I again checked my phone. It was 5 am. I had to wake up at 7 and revise the whole syllabus, get ready and leave for exam at 9. I stopped thinking about anything and slept.



*Alarm beeps*

7:15 am 

I just threw away my blanket and started looking here and there for the books.

''Where have I kept the books now??? Damn it!'', I spoke to myself.


I rubbed my swollen red eyes and looked again. On my bed right next to my pillow.. there it was. 'Start revising now!' I shouted it out. More than one hour of revision and my alarm again beeped. 8:45 am ''Get ready now, you a*****e''. I got ready and left for exam at 9:05. I talked to mom and dad for their blessings and prayed to God before the exam. 


After three hours of exam from 10 to 1, I came out holding the question paper in hand. "Finally, it is over."  *sigh*

''Hey what was the answer of 5th question in part-B?'', a friend asked while we were in the college bus. ''Sorry buddy, but I don't really want to discuss the paper now."

I didn't really know how well I attempted the exam. It went good and I was sure of that but was not sure about how much I was going to score. 


I knew I had to call my parents and tell them about the exam and of course give explanation to all their questions. But back in my room, I just held my question paper, reviewed the answers I had wriiten for each answer and started predicting the score. Just midway through it, my phone rang up. "Dad

Incoming call"


I picked up the call and sensed his dull voice. I knew he was tired after working the whole day. Yet he hoped that I could help him forget his languor. I didn't put him down. "The exam was easy but lengthy. I did well, dad. Don't worry I will score good." He then 
encouraged and supported me to work  harder and achieve great heights of success. He was happy and relieved. His tiredness seemed to disappear. Then I talked to mom. She reminded me of my empty stomach and how much crave I had for food at that time. I really wanted to eat something made by her. I missed her a lot. But she was worried because her child had not eaten anything since last night. I didn't tell her but she sensed my lack of energy from my voice. She's my mother after all. Soon I was in the mess to have lunch with my friends. 

At the end of the day, no matter how bad it was, talking to your parents always makes you feel good. And when the parents are happy due to you, it is the best feeling ever. 
At 4, I lied down on my bed and slept. That was probably the best sleep I had after so many weeks. :)

© 2016 JasKunwar Singh


Author's Note

JasKunwar Singh
Based on true story of almost every medico...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

474 Views
Added on September 5, 2016
Last Updated on September 8, 2016
Tags: Life, Education, MBBS