Bliss?

Bliss?

A Story by Offbeat Z

Eight years ago, waking up, I was recovering from a traumatic experience the day before. The establishment that was supposed to do the final pressing of my dress, had decided that it was to delicate work to do at their facility (though they had promised me that they could handle it) and then told me they wouldn't transport the garment to me, that I had to locate the store in downtown Austin and retrieve it myself. I got lost and with all the stress, I broke down and cried. That is a big deal for me to even admit here, but the whole ordeal made me a late for my own rehearsal. Now, that, simply put, sucks.

 

Now, the next morning, I was off to an early start. It took two hours for the hairdresser to completely perfect the up-do and all the curls that went along with it. Afterward, I check the progress of the reception hall. It was coming along nicely. Everything was under control, so I headed to the church.

 

Yes, believe it or not, I got married in a church. There was no burning up as I walked through the door…not even a sizzle. This was not my choice as a location for my nuptials, but went along with it as to not disrupt the waters of the relationship between myself and my soon to be in-laws that I would undoubtedly have to deal with for years to come. If it had been up to me, we would have just visited our local Justice of the Peace.

 

The little room that I had to get ready in was soon full of people. A couple of my sisters were in there, my grandma, my aunt and cousin, the photographer and various random people walking in and out of the room. My Mother and my other sister (Brandi, my maid of honor) were late. Of course more reason to panic. Right in the nick of time, they arrived, changed and were ready to go.

 

Someone (and I really can't remember who) told me that Mike was not at the church yet. Late for his own wedding? What the hell was he doing?! Another rumor, said he was out taking his vehicle to the car wash. All this was untrue. He had been getting ready in a different room off of the church with the groomsmen, but no one seemed to know this, so making up stories about where he was happened to be the best alternative, I suppose. Give the bride a heart attack. Now there is a fine idea.

 

Damnit! My dress was on and I thought I was completely ready to go, but I had forgotten to put the garter on. How was I supposed to get the stupid thing that far up my leg with all that dress without wrinkling it? My sister Joanna (who was 8 months pregnant with twins at the time) grabbed the garter out of my hand and dived under my dress to help out. The long dress covered all but her feet. This is when the photographer decided to come back in the room. He should have taken that picture.

 

Once the wedding started, and we were up there at the alter, the pastor decided to break up the custom vows he had for us, but had not shared up until this point. We had to recite something to the affect that we would commit to each other forever and ever and ever after that and even after we die for an eternity…blah, blah, blah.

 

These vows went on forever and were horrible! In short, I just wanted the dude to have us agree upon staying together until the other fucked up. That's pretty simple, right?

 

Anyhow, I made it through that (at least eight years so far). The cake wasn't what I wanted it to be and the family found out that my Grandma had been married for eighteen years and no one knew until we asked her to try to go and catch the boutique and she told us she didn't qualify to. Other than that, the rest was a regular wedding and reception. Well, at least according to me.

 

Maybe to reminisce, I will listen to the audio of those vows. On second thought, I'm about to have breakfast and I would like to keep it down.

© 2008 Offbeat Z


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

There are some interesting things going on here with the back story. You do a good job at withholding enough background information so that I keep reading. What you do give is enough for me to wonder what's going on. I like how the story ends, especially the part with the grandma. Good Story

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 4, 2008

Author

Offbeat Z
Offbeat Z

In the middle of nowhere



Writing
Bernie Bernie

A Story by Offbeat Z