Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

A Chapter by Jason van Dongen

Chapter Twelve.

 

 

The boatswain is not where Cabin Boy expects to find him. His hammock is quite empty, and his boots are gone. Cabin Boy takes the stairs two at a time to the second deck. He is breathing heavily by the time he reaches the boatswain’s office.

“Mr Marshall, sir,” he gasps. “I need your help.”

“Slow down, kid. Sit down and tell me what ye want to know.”

Cabin Boy shakes his head vigorously. “No time. I need to know: can you measure four parts rum to one part dark beer using only a three pint jug and a five pint jug?”

The boatswain puts down his pen and looks thoughtfully at Cabin Boy. “A three pint jug and a five pint jug, you say?”

Cabin Boy nods.

“I believe so. Now, just give me a second.” He takes up his pen, dips it in the inkwell, and begins to scribble on the parchment in front of him. Presently, he looks up and grins at Cabin Boy.

“Yep, it’s as I thought, kid. Take the three pint jug, and fill it with rum. Then pour the rum into the five pint jug. Fill the three pint jug again, and pour the rum into the five pint jug until it is full. That leaves just one pint in the three pint jug. You follow?”

Cabin Boy nods, but he doesn’t follow at all.

The boatswain continues, “Now, dump the rum out of the five pint jug and pour the one pint into it from the three pint jug. Fill the three pint jug again, and pour all of it into the five pint jug. There you go, kid. Exactly four pints of rum in a five pint jug. Fill it with beer, and ye will have four parts rum to one part dark beer.”

The confusion must be visible on Cabin Boy’s face, for the boatswain folds the piece of parchment and hands it to him.

“Just follow them there instructions, kid. I hope Manners enjoys his kill-devil flip.”

Cabin Boy grabs his hand and shakes it enthusiastically. “Thank you, Mr Marshall, sir! Thank you!” The boatswain chuckles as Cabin Boy bounds back to the kitchen.



© 2012 Jason van Dongen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on October 22, 2012
Last Updated on October 22, 2012


Author

Jason van Dongen
Jason van Dongen

Albany, Western Australia, Australia



About
As a writer, I am strictly a bumbling amateur, writing largely for my own pleasure. I am currently working to improve my story-telling skills, reduce the cliches in my work, and find creative ways to .. more..

Writing