New Job

New Job

A Story by Jason Joiner
"

A new job can be nerve wracking or exhilarating.

"

I stare at the doors and down at the piece of paper in my hands. It’s a note from my new boss telling me to take the green door. I thought how odd it was that there wasn’t anyone here to tell me where to go. I stepped through the green door and it turned out to be an elevator. “Great,” I thought “I don’t know which floor to go to.”

I looked back at the note to make sure I had the right address and the right door. This time however the note said.

Take the elevator to floor twenty.

I almost dropped the piece of paper out of surprise. I looked at the paper closely and turned it over but saw no other writing. Shrugging I pressed the button for floor twenty and waited as I felt the elevator raise. I wondered what I was getting into with this new job. Once the doors of the elevator opened I breathed deeply and stepped off of the elevator looking at the weird little piece of paper which now said.

Go to suite 110

I walked down the hall looking for the correct suite. Finding it I opened the door to see a tidy office with a few other employees already there. They watched me as I passed by them. I could hear them whispering about the ‘new guy’. I glanced at the paper again which held yet another instruction.

Go into office at end of room. Enter without knocking.

I walked the length of the room and stopped at the door momentarily I breathed deeply and opened the door and went in. I heard a voice command “Shut the door behind you.”

I did and my new boss stepped out from a room to the side of his office and he said “Good thing you’re here. I didn’t know if you would show. Was it the curiosity? Or the money?”

I cleared my throat and said “Mostly curiosity sir. I wanted to know what you meant by adventure beyond my wildest dreams. The money didn’t sound too bad either.”

My boss laughed and said “That’s what I like to hear. Now allow me to formally introduce myself. I am Alexander Richten. I am a collector of unique and rare items. You are here to serve as someone who will procure these items for me.”

“What sort of items are you looking for?” my curiosity now truly piqued

“Those items which possess magical and legendary qualities about them. Things which in the wrong hands could be devastating.”

“So dangerous magical items that could destroy the world. Am I supposed to believe this stuff?”

“It doesn’t matter if you do or not. If you want you can walk out the door and never look back. You’ll always live with the regret of missing out on the adventure of a lifetime. So, are you in?”

I grinned and looked Mr. Richten in the eye and said “Hell yeah.”

© 2016 Jason Joiner


Author's Note

Jason Joiner
Please review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Woo, sounds exciting. What happens next? You have a nice, flowing writing style that kept me interested throughout. Nice job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I hope this is the start of a series or at least a longer story.
A few suggestions: "go to suite 110" could be "suite 110". Could also apply to the following command.
Very intriguing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jason Joiner

7 Years Ago

Thank you, I haven't decided yet whether or not I will expand this yet. I'm currently working on som.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 30, 2016
Last Updated on May 30, 2016

Author

Jason Joiner
Jason Joiner

thomaston, GA



About
I write short stories and poems. more..

Writing