Love's Hatchet

Love's Hatchet

A Chapter by Jasmine Flores

To everyone he's like a god sent angel, but I knew a much more deeper side than him. One that isn't so bright...
It was summer and the whole family decided to take a vacation, a nice camp out the woods surrounded by nothing but a following river and the existence of nature. Not to far neighboring cabins with other families as well were scattered about along the plantation. Assuming they were doing the same thing we are, taking a break from life and all people around. I don't know why but escaping is a natural de-stressor. I personally believed that, I know when I'm there I'm going to want to get away from my family as far as possible.
Back to reality some shadows of tall trees flash the sun from above as I see the camp approaching near, while leaning against our red cars window, in the distance. We finally arrived after a long turn downward from the side of the mountain. Everyone was tired, all we wanted to do was gather are things from the car and unload them into our designated cabins. The two twin brothers Alec and Mich both got the first and nearest cabin closed to us. The grabbed their things and raced to see who can reach their first. They're known to probably cause the most bit of trouble on our break, even though they are both about to graduate high school like me they have more energy than a toddler. They have dark hazel eyes, straight brown hair and tan skin, they are both tall, Alec is a bit more full (body wise) then Mich. To tell them apart is all the more easy when it comes to Mich, he has the type of beauty mark under his left eye, which it's weird to think that they could possibly have a difference like that considering that there twins.
Next to their cabin is the family lounge, where the kitchen, living room, and dining area. My parents are going there first to set aside the food and put things up so they wouldn't go bad, dad dragging two coolers along the way and huge bags of food around each shoulder as my mother holds too large bags as well make their way over there where the middle cabin, next to the family one, is there's. They have an advantage of keeping watch of us although behind them is nothing but tall sap trees. My sister had a cabin of her own for some reason, she was one of those spoiled brats that was born with a silver spoon in her mouth. I can understand that she's an "adult" and almost already two years into college but, she wouldn't want anyone bunking with her, not even her own sister. Which was honestly fine, because that means me and my favorite aunt who is about my age are sharing the same cabin together. It was the last one, although it wasn't completely in the circle of the other cabins and kind of pushed back, ours had the river by it and at night you can hear the water peacefully passing by. Put you to sleep like a baby. By the time everything was unloaded the sun started to go down and my parents lit this bonfire in the middle to light up the outsides of our cabins. My aunt and I were laying on the couch in the middle room one of us resting against each arm. We both looked up at the ceiling fan watching it make its rotation and swaying while it does so. We were hot, and slightly sweating. My short brown hair with streaking highlights looked dull in the sunset lighting through our front windows. It gave everything in the room and orangish red ten making the cabin feel all the more hotter. My socks on the floor and my aunt's the same we wait patiently for my mom to come get us so we can all sit in the dining room for our first nights dinner away. We do this annually so there is no bother exploring anywhere because we don't want mother to get upset so we just let her do her thing. Finally there was the knock. "Alright! It's ready!" My mother said cheerfully outside our door. We both slowly got up as if we were balloons being inflated. My aunt Braddie groans in discomfort as we both didn't want to move because we were sweating up a storm. Luckily enough as we walked over and inside, you could feel a breeze when you opened the door. That's only because I'm the corner there was this new object a huge industrialized fan that cooled the entire room, and with it a note on it reading "compliments of the owner." We haven't really meet the owner in awhile, my aunt and I looked at each other and both found it strange while the rest of my family didn't even acknowledge it. I guess all they cared about that it was cooling them down. Typical, everything was set on the table like a thanksgiving meal and everyone sat in their place. Mom and dad were at the ends my brothers and sister on one side and facing them me and my aunt on the other side. No one had talked and just exchanged looks, while there was only the sound silverware clanking against our plates as we were cutting and picking up our meal and the sound of the clock ticking in the background. It was dark outside and the only light source there was, a single white light hanging from the ceiling above the table. Mother hasn't even took one bite yet as she rest her chin on the back of her hands while her elbows were propped up on the table. "Well?" She said breaking the silence. "Is no one just gonna say anything?" Alec in mid chew slightly looked in her direction "We are eating.." and turned his attention back to his place. Mother, easily getting ticked slammed her hands on the table.
Before I continue the chaos that's about to happen next I want to give you a little brief background check on my family in more depth than I already have. My dad is an alcoholic and gets very abusive when ticked and intoxicated. My mother has high blood pressure and is very bipolar. Her and my dad used to do drugs although my mother had to quit unless she wanted cps to take us away. My dad still smokes weed and does heroine occasionally and when my mother finds out, her and my dad get into it and it's usually pretty ugly leaving them with bruises and scars mostly my mom. She has been sober for 10 years and to see my dad still doing those things frustrates her a lot and makes her situation a lot more difficult to handle. I don't know how she has done it all these years. She could've easily just left him a long time ago, but I guess she just doesn't want us to grow up without a biological father or mother, like how she had it growing up without a dad... as if my dad is much of a father figure anyways, but I still respect him enough to address him that way. My twin brothers already have children of their own, by 16 they had both done the same girl who was 12. She got pregnant, and then Mich went on his own and got a 14 year old pregnant as well 2 weeks later. They are more mischievous than you think considering they both don't talk to the girls anymore. My sister has always been very distant I guess I can understand why because our whole family is crazy but she doesn't even acknowledge anyone around here, she's always on the phone with her boyfriend or scrolling through social media. My aunt and I are the most sane ones in the family, I guess that's why I like my aunt so much. She's easy to get along with and talk to, although sometimes she says things she doesn't realize she shouldn't so I try not to tell her much. Okay, time unfreeze. "Hey! Smartass I know this! I f*****g cooked for you ungrateful people! So yeah I know that your f*****g eating." Pointing at him while she nags on. My father groans one hand on his head and the other grasped around his alcohol drinking in his next uncountable bottle of beer. "Stacy.. can you please shut the hell UP!" He says slamming his fist on the table shaking the plates and everything on it. My moms glass of red wine spilling on the white table cloth she had just got and laid out, the liquid slowly making it's way to the edge of the table before finally dripping onto the floor. She then slowly turns her face towards my father with a cocked head and gritted teeth. Her eyes widely staring into his soulless body. He just looks backs at her and hiccups taking another sip of his beer getting a bit wobbly. Sister hasn't even looked up once from her phone, I have to say she's good at blocking out the unnecessary bullshit. She's been doing it for 21 years now so she had to be a pro of some form. My aunt and I ate our food as quick as possible and walked out together, we weren't going to leave each other behind while we were near the family that would be considered as betrayal to one another. Soon the twins quickly followed and lastly my sister as well. By the time everyone but my parents were out my aunt and I were in our cabin watching from the window the family lounge still lit with that single white light. But the curtains were closed so your couldn't see what's going on in there. "Do you think they're fighting?" I ask Braddie. "Are you serious?" She said in a playful disbelief scoffing at that question. "No, it's just that you've been so quiet since we got out of the car, I wanted to spark a conversation with you." Braddie shakes her head slightly chuckling. "Are you okay Braddie? Really.. why do you even come along with us? You know our family is like a gateway to hell." She looks at me, the moonlight shading her face in bluish tones. "The same reason why you like coming here so much. To just get away. Although you can never escape your family you can at least remove the most irrelevant things in your life." I smile at that statement, she's right, what I am born with I cannot help but what I make out of my life I can. "Do you want to go out to the river! I'm sure the water has to be somewhat cold, and it's been hot all day! Plus it's dark outside and no one will be able to see us out there." She chuckles "You're crazy, I rather just take a cold shower in the domestic bathroom we have in our cabin." I groan "aww, you're no fun!" Braddie gets up going into her room while still talking "tomorrow morning I promise!" Closing her door. My tongue presses against the inside of my cheek as I am now left in the middle room, looking around for something to do. I don't want my night to end here. Not yet.


© 2017 Jasmine Flores


Author's Note

Jasmine Flores
I'm not a very good writer, please be patient with my skills, I think this book will be a good read.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Not sure this is horror? My biggest note though has got to be the mechanics of the piece.
First, you really need to separate your paragraphs. The block narrative was difficult to read.
Next, watch your tenses. Stick to either the past or the present. Also, just work on grammar in general.
Finally, the story is a tad convoluted. There is too much exposition and not enough focus on the meat of the story itself. For example, I understand that the protagonist comes from a troubled family and wants to get away from them. However, what isn't clear is the relationships that the protagonist has with her family members. You describe who the people are, but not who they are to the protagonist. Does she resent her parents? Does she find her brothers disgusting? What specifically made her and her aunt close? Explore these questions to add a bit more depth to your story.
Keep writing! You'll get there :)

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 10, 2017
Last Updated on January 10, 2017
Tags: Family conflicts, horror, romantic-thriller, suspensful


Author

Jasmine Flores
Jasmine Flores

Corpus Christi , TX



About
I'm 17, I'm really not a great writer and need a lot of practice but I always wanted to get into it. I want to get my work out there as well just to share my stories to the people :) more..

Writing