Chapter 1: Air

Chapter 1: Air

A Chapter by Shaxenz

The two hour walk to Melya was something that I was not dressed for. It was hot enough to force me out of my black and green hooded cloak. At least my white collared jacket repelled sunlight. Heat always did a damn good job of making a relatively short trip feel like a really long one. Two hours of walking wasn’t so bad when you are a Mercenary. Depending on the job the travel distance could be far larger so this trip was not so bad. Even if the heat made two hours feel like five I was not going to complain. “Though renting a horse wouldn’t have been a bad idea.”  I muttered to myself. Reaching into my pouch, I pull out a rolled up map. While observing the map I realized that I was far closer to Melya than I would have thought. Upon looking up from the map, Melya could indeed be seen in the distance. It was far away enough to not take notice of anything in particular just yet, although I did notice a trail of smoke coming up from the town.
“A fire?” One of my eyebrows rose just slightly. Perhaps it was coming from a forge if the village had one. A forge was common in most areas, even some small villages. People needed work after all. “...!” The smoke was growing thicker and thicker as I drew closer to the village. At this point it had become apparent that that was not smoke coming from a forge. This village was on fire. The buildings were slowly burning down. I had been hired to stop the bandits and save the village and its people. Was it too late? There’s no way I should get the full pay for this. This village is doomed no matter how you look at it. Can’t quit the job though...the bandits are most likely still destroying the village. If I run I can make it and take them out. I felt no sympathy for the people that were dying in the village as it burned down. Nothing could be done about it and even without them life would continue on. Time would continue to flow. Everyone was going to die at some point. It wasn’t my business to care about their lives. I needed to get by on my own. With nothing but the job in my mind, I sprint towards the village.

---

“Ohoh, you can’t run forever little Miss! You’re the only one left!” A large man with a face like that of a pig spoke. He had a one-handed axe grasped in his right hand. His small, merciless eyes were staring down at a young girl with blonde hair. She had emerald colored eyes and a ponytail that was a bit curly and went down to her upper back. She was breathing heavily, her chest heaving, moving her button-up green jacket made of finely woven wool up and then down. Tears were in her eyes and despite her young appearance she directed a menacing glare towards the man.
“You won’t get away with this! You won’t get away with killing my grandfather and burning down this village! I’ll kill you! You and every last bandit that exists!” The girl shouted out as the tears began to drop like a stream down her cheeks. Grasped in both of her hands tightly was a small knife. It seemed as though she truly did intend to kill this man and yet her body was shaking and would not move. Despite her bold words she took no actions.
“Well aren’t you a scary girl? You’re an interestin’ one! How about I chop those legs of yours off so you can’t resist and then I’ll just take you back with me?” The man spoke with a disgusting grin. He rose his axe up, clearly aiming for her legs. The girl let out a scream, shutting her eyes, holding the knife out defensively in front of her. It became very clear to her that there was nothing she could do. She did not have the strength to fight. She was going to die here.

---

A scream? I thought to myself. I definitely heard a scream as I ran into the village. If someone was screaming in the village then an enemy was nearby. I would have to fulfill my job and take them out. That was what was requested of me. If I’m doing a job I’ll do it thoroughly. Good for that guy. Someone in his village survived. I cut around the corner of a burning building and saw a man with an axe raised. Under his arm was a young trembling girl with her eyes shut tightly. He’s distracted. I can quickly move under him, parry his blow, and finish him off while he’s surprised.
“Don’t scream too much, kid!” The man stated as he began to swing that axe down. It was aimed just above her knees. He truly did intend to cut her legs off.
I slip under his arm just as he is beginning to swing down. As I moved past I was already drawing my sword. My arm swings as my body turns, giving the swing of the sword more momentum. Steel clashes against steel but the momentum of the sword successfully parries the axe, sending the man’s arm back. The man staggers a bit, eyes wide in surprise and confusion. I act without hesitation. Before the man could regain his footing I pulled my left arm back, my left hand holding the sword, then I thrust forward. A grunt leaves the man’s lips and he coughs up blood. The blade of my sword went through his chest and was sticking out of his back. The man looked as though he wished to say something. His intentions were most likely to curse me for taking his life but I did not care. Once I pulled the sword out from his chest he dropped to his knees and then collapsed. Dead.
A small sound came from the young girl’s lips. My head turns and my eyes meet hers for just a second. “T-Thank you.” She suddenly spoke up after noticing the man’s now lifeless body. “You killed him and saved me, right?” She asked while slowly standing up, her feet and legs wobbling slightly since her body hadn’t quite stopped shaking yet.  Saved? Is that what she thinks I was trying to do? I’m sure it would put her at ease to think that was the case but I’m not going to lie to her.
“I didn’t kill him to save your life. I’m a Mercenary, hired by a man to kill the bandits in this village. It just happened to be a coincidence that doing my job caused me to save your life.” For a few seconds I stayed silent. “I guess that guy will be happy to know that not everyone was killed. You should get out of here kid.” After saying my piece I began to walk away.
“Wait!” She called out to me, rushing to grab onto the back of my white jacket. Of course I stopped. I wouldn’t put in the effort to push a little girl away so I let her speak. “Take me with you! I have nowhere else to go!”
“It’s dangerous.” I replied calmly.
“I know that! I don’t care! I need to get stronger so I can avenge my grandfather! I want you to teach me how to fight! You’re a Mercenary so you know how to kill! Teach me!”
“...” A sigh escapes my lips. “A kid like you shouldn’t worry about killing. If you walk two hours to the West of this village you’ll be in Ariael. There’s a man waiting at the front gate of the town. If you explain that you’re from Melya I’m sure he’ll take you in. I have business to finish here and I don’t have the time to--” A voice in the distance caught my attention. Three armed men were now rushing towards me. This time I did push the girl away because she was in my way.
Another axe user rushed my way. This man’s axe was far larger than the other man’s. The axe user came in close, bringing the axe back before attempting to swing the heavy weapon at my head. Clicking my tongue in annoyance I run my sword through the attacker. Why did he bother running up this close when his weapon has enough range for him to swing without him having to worry about me reaching him with my sword? Sometimes I feel bad for bandits. Most of the time their quality of fighting prowess is incredibly bad. It’s sad if I have to say that because when it comes to combat I’m fairly average. Sure, as a Mercenary combat was something I was used to but my sword skills were okay at best. I’ve been told that my strength comes from my apathetic attitude. Because I simply don’t care exhaustion never bothered me so I continue to fight at my best potential regardless of how I feel.
With the axe user now dead, one of the other man prepared to attack. A bowman. They drew back an arrow, prepared to shoot. The fire and smoke must have been hindering their sight because they did not make a direct hit. Instead, the arrowhead grazed my right hand before sticking into the ground. I’m definitely bleeding but I don’t have time to check. Making it to the bowman before he could get another shot ready was the current priority. Kicking off the ground, I dash towards the bowman. The third bandit wielding a sword moved to stop me but I duck under him, sliding on my heels as I do so, slowing my momentum just a bit before I break off into a spring once more. By the time the bowman pulled the string back I was too close for him to fire at me. Slashing upwards, the blade moves from the right side of the bowman’s stomach to the upper left corner. It was a deep wound that was potentially fatal if he were simply left to bleed out. Fortunately I ended his potential suffering when I then gripped the sword in both hands and swung down from his left shoulder down to the right side of his waist.
“...!” Turning around with precise timing, sword risen in front of me, knees bent. The sound of steel clashing with steel could be heard for the second time today. The bandit with the sword had attempted to decapitate me from behind. None of these men looked particularly interesting so it seemed safe to assume that the pig-faced b*****d I killed earlier was their leader. Before I could push his sword away with my own he stomped his foot onto my bent knee. My knee hits the ground and a grunt of pain is forced out of my mouth. I was forced into a kneeling position. It seemed that he wanted to go for the decapitation again. My fist instinctively shoots out, making contact with the man’s crotch. The man bends over while letting out a loud groan of pain. Ignoring the pain in my knee, I get up with as much force as I can muster to gain momentum. Twirling my sword I change to a reverse-grip, slashing upwards at the bandit’s neck. His eyes were closed and his focus was on his own pain. He never got to react before his head was sliced clean off. Blood began to spray upwards before coming down like rain. Wearing a white jacket, I take a few steps back so it doesn’t get stained. It shows where my priorities lie. Once again I am face to face with the girl, the smell of blood is in the air, destruction all around us.

---

“My name’s Air.” She spoke as we stared at each other. I thought she would have been scared after seeing this much bloodshed. I would be lying if I said I hadn’t expected her to run away. She was just a kid after all. Her name was quite strange. Here I am with a young girl who wouldn’t be any older than 12, both of us unfazed by the our surroundings.
“Air? Like the air we breathe?” I replied in a questioning tone as if I didn’t believe her. She puffed her cheeks out, now pouting.
“Yes! So what? “ She questioned in return. “What’s wrong with my name?”
“It’s weird. Sounds like it would get confusing.” Glancing off to the side I slide my hands into my pockets. I think it’s safe to say that I completed the job. I don’t hear any other bandits.
“O-Oh yeah!? Well what’s your name, Mister!?” Her tone was full of frustration even though she must actually understand that her name could get confusing.
“It’s Wake.” I’ve been told my name was weird but her response was a bit annoying.
“Wake? Your name is just as confusing as mine!”
“It’s really not. My name as a standalone word isn’t confusing at all. ‘Wake’ would just refer to me. If you were to say ‘wake up’ then there would be nothing to be confused about.” Why was I even bothering to talk to her?
Her face turned red. She must have been embarrassed because now she was shuffling her feet while pouting towards the ground. Is this how kids get when they make a false statement? With a sigh I turn around, beginning to walk.
“As I was going to say before, I don’t have the time to be babysitting a kid. I’ll take you to Ariael since I need to go back there anyway to get paid.” She didn’t move for a moment and I could tell from the lack of sound from another pair of footsteps. Looking behind me, I speak once more. “Hurry up, Air.” It seemed that calling her by her name got her attention. She gave a quick nod before quickly walking to my side before slowing down to walk at my pace.
I’ll just get her to Ariael, get paid, and then move on to a different town to find more work. That was the plan.

--- Air’s POV
In terms of first impressions, Wake was definitely a huge jerk. He was absolutely rude! What heartless kind of guy would be willing to leave a young girl on her own in a burning village? In the end he did decide to take me to Ariael. This guy’s underestimating how stubborn I can be! I need strength to avenge my grandfather. It’s not like I can trust just anyone to teach me. Regardless of the reason, this guy saved my life, and if he wanted to kill me he would have. He doesn’t seem to care at all but I’ll follow him until he agrees to take me as his apprentice!
“Waaaake! My feet hurt!” I complained, now having trouble with keeping up with his pace. I’ve never left the village before and now I was getting a sense of just how huge this world was. I knew of the places in the world. For example, I’ve seen messengers from Ariael before since it is the closest town to Melya. “I had no idea it would end up taking this long though…” I ended up accidentally complaining aloud. Wake continued to stare straight ahead, hands in his pockets as he walked.
“You can stop walking if you want but I’ll leave you behind. If you can’t deal with the walk then that isn’t my problem.” His words were blunt. It was very apparent that he actually did not care about my well-being at all. I look down, pouting, focusing on the pitter-pattering of my feet. It was certainly a lot better to listen to than his rude mouth. Why couldn’t it be some sort of Prince that saved me? If Wake were kinder he’d definitely fit my description of an ideal Prince but unfortunately his personality was just absolutely horrid. I silently walked at his side and that silence remained until we arrived.
The two hour trip to Ariael from the now demolished village of Melya finally came to an end.

---

“I’m so glad someone survived!” A man said. He knelt down and wrapped his arms around me. The man was sobbing. I know this man...he ran a shop in Melya. I don’t know his name but from what I do know he often traveled to Ariael to get supplies. I quickly learned that this was the man that hired Wake. Hugging the man back wasn’t something I could bring myself to do. Sure, he lived in Melya like I did, but he was still mostly a stranger. My body remains awkwardly still until he finally releases me from his embrace. A sigh of relief almost leaves my lips but I hold it back. As the man stood Wake spoke.
“You should be fine now, Air. I’ll be taking my leave.” With that Wake began to walk away. Were all Mercenaries like that? So cold-hearted and closed off? It sort of seemed sad. That was the thought that had been going through my mind for the past two hours. I wondered how he could live like that. Without the love and care of someone. For a moment I just stood there, watching him leave. Was this it? Was I just supposed to try to adapt to a normal life after that? After watching my grandfather die, after seeing my village burn down, after witnessing all of that bloodshed. There was no way I could go back to living a normal life after that. My eyebrows furrow a bit as I glare at Wake’s back, my cheeks puffing out.
“Oh no you don’t, Mister!” It wasn’t loud enough for him to hear me but I began to tail him. I would follow him around for awhile and when an opportunity presented itself again I’d show him how persistent I could be. He’s going to take me as his apprentice whether he wants to or not! No ifs ,ands, or buts about it!

---

A woman was standing outside of her door. In front of the woman was Wake. The two were talking and I could only make out bits and pieces of the conversation. It seemed that Wake was getting another job. Was he going to head out of town? Was he going to go off and fight like he did in Melya? Maybe I would learn something! Then he did something that confused me. Wake walked into her house. Are they having some sort of private negotiation? I wondered.
“...Hm…” I couldn’t help but be curious. I had been hiding in an alley, peeking out to listen in on Wake and the woman but they both spoke quietly and I couldn’t hear much. I know for a fact that he was accepting a job though. That was a word I definitely heard and I also heard the word ‘pay’. What job was he taking on? Why did he have to go in her house? Scampering out from the alley, I make my way towards one of the windows. My heels lift up, the tips of my shoes digging into the dirt a bit as I push up with them. Even on my toes I could not see through the window. “Nngh!!” I struggled harder but to no avail. My eyes catch notice of something. A bucket! I could stand on that and see through the window! I run over and grab it, bringing it on over to the side of the house. Standing up on it, I could finally peer through the window. What was happening in there was incomprehensible.
“...” My eyes lost the shine of excitement. Instead they were now void of emotion. All emotions ceased as I looked through the window. Two feelings began to flow into me. Disappointment and confusion. Wake was standing on a stool, paint brush in hand, carefully moving the brush up and down on the wall. “Is this really all he’s doing? Painting? There’s no way. There must be something to this that I don’t understand…”
For an hour I waited with the hope that something interesting would happen. An hour of watching Wake make strokes with the brush, turning the white walls blue. This was not a job that a Mercenary was supposed to be doing. He did say he was a Mercenary, right? I saw him fight with my own eyes! What is he doing!? Despite the disappointment and confusion my interest was piqued yet again. Just what were his motives? There had to be a secret to all of this. After another half an hour Wake finally left the house, counting gold coins that were in the palm of his hand. I was peeking out from the side of the house. Wake began to turn his head. Eyes wide, I pull back, I lose balance and fall onto my rear. Ouch! Did he see me? After a few seconds I peek around the corner but he was still walking. Phew. An internal sigh of relief. I truly thought I had been caught.
Tailing him was still of utter importance. If he had some sort of secret I might be able to expose it and then he’ll have to take me in! Once again I found myself confused. I was crouched behind a well, looking out from the side. Wake was climbing a tree and on one of the branches was a cat. A boy was looking up at the cat, his hands clasped together. He seemed to be pleading. Was Wake being paid to get that cat down? When he reached the branch he held his hand out and made some strange noises. Those noises worked in getting the cat’s attention though. In fact it was amazing! The cat moved over to Wake and began to nuzzle against his hand. I thought that maybe for a split second I saw a smile on Wake’s face as he gave the cat a small pat on the head before picking it up and hopping down from the tree.
Wake set the cat down near the boy and began to walk away. The boy had called out to thank him and I could hear Wake speak as he walked away.
“You should scold your cat about climbing trees.” It seemed cold but it was probably actually advice. If the owner scolds the cat then the cat may not climb the tree anymore. It did not seem like he was getting paid which meant he did that on his own free will. I was pretty sure he was a jerk...but he went and got that cat down from the tree without even being asked. I began to wonder why he would go out of his way to help a cat but not people. The only reason I was saved was because he was hired to take out the bandits. He wasn’t going out of his way to save me.


---

The tailing continued. Now Wake seemed to be taking on another job. It was at an Inn. It was the second Inn I’ve seen in this town. When I was following Wake we walked by another Inn but he seemed to move on past without acknowledging it. Why this one? He was always making me ask questions. I’d be sure to get my answers when he takes me in. This time I did not need to stand on a bucket to see what was going on. This did indeed seem like work so Wake was probably getting paid. Currently he was walking around with a quill and piece of paper. He was going from table to table. I could only assume he was taking orders. This is not what a Mercenary was supposed to be doing. Mercenaries did not take orders at an Inn! They didn’t serve lunch! They were supposed to be taking on tough jobs that could cost them their lives, but the price of the job is worth it. These were petty jobs that gave a small pay.
“This is frustrating! I want to know everything now!” I exclaimed aloud in my frustration. I ended up getting a few strange looks from people that were passing by.

--- Wake’s POV

Serving customers at an Inn was one of the easier jobs that I have done. In fact, it was something I was used to. Back at home I was the one that could cook the best so I would always be the one getting food for my parents and brother, serving them what they wanted. This wasn’t too different. In fact it was easier. Yeah, there were a lot more people to serve, but at least I did not have to cook for each and every one of them. That was the real hard part. It was only about three hours of serving customers. This time the Inn Keeper was a woman. She paid me 15 gold coins for doing the job. As usual, the coins were stashed away in my red pouch. Before I could leave the woman began to spoke.
“Thank you for the help, Wake dear. If it would not trouble you would you mind taking on another job?” The Inn Keeper lady spoke.
My philosophy played out in my mind immediately. Don’t be picky with the opportunities presented to me. Ever since becoming a Mercenary I have followed that philosophy. Turning around to face the woman again I give a nod.
“On the northern outskirts of Ariael there is a pack of wolves. They have been attacking travelers that enter and leave from the northern exit. It may not show but it is actually causing panic. If those wolves end up entering the town then a lot of trouble will brew and no one here wants that. You seem like a reliable young man that will get the job done.”
Just take out a pack of wolves? That shouldn’t be a problem. Since it was job I was certainly going to accept. As for the pay that would need to at least be…
“I’ll give you 100 gold coins.” She offered.
Yeah, that’s a fair price. It’s a good thing people do not abuse my philosophy. Not that they actually know it. They could give me a single gold coin and I would still take the job. Yes...this philosophy was certainly a curse.
“Alright. I’ll take care of the wolves.”

---

After getting paid I headed towards the northern outskirts of town. It was quiet. Far too quiet but my instincts were kicking in already. Yes, I could feel it. The feeling of being the lonely prey that was being stalked by a beast. I could envision it, being torn limb from limb suddenly as I am attacked by a pack of wolves. Or at least, that is how things would go if I was not aware of the situation. It’s unfortunate for them. I may look like prey but I’m actually the hunter. It seems most do not know the most important rule. If you look like a hunter then you have already failed. Act like prey to draw in the actual prey. Then make a sudden strike. That is how the hunt is truly supposed to be.
As the first wolf leapt out of hiding from behind me I drew my sword. I pivot to the side, swinging upwards. The blade arcs up, slicing deeply across the beast’s chest. A yelp is forced out of the wolf’s throat and it’s direction changes. The pain causes it to land on its side. The wolf’s breathing was heavy, blood coming out from the wound on its chest. It was obvious that breathing like that was painful, perhaps even intolerable. I felt pity for this wolf more-so than I would a human. Not because it was an animal but rather because its pride as a hunter would forever be diminished. Two more wolves came out of hiding. They did not bother to leap at me. Instead they simply ran straight for my legs as if they were in a blind rage.
“I see. So you thought of that one as a companion. Your feelings haven’t gone unnoticed.” They would keep their friend company. I reach into another compartment of my pouch, pulling out a small knife. I throw it at one of the wolves. It spins and spin and spins until catching it in the head. It did not stop running but it slowed down. It must not have gone in deep enough. Still, it was slowed down enough. I dodge to the side, sending the blade of my sword through the wolf’s side. The second one was down but my blade was still in the wolf as the third one leapt. Its mouth was aimed at my face. If it were to hit I most likely would not survive. Reacting quickly I let go of my sword, ducking down. I pull my knife out of the wolf’s head since it would be quicker than getting the sword. Thrusting upwards, the knife plunges into the third wolf’s stomach and then pushing forward and letting go of the knife, the wolf is sent backwards, slamming into the ground near the first wolf that was still bleeding out. They looked at each other and though the third wolf was only slowly bleeding due to the knife and still had a chance of survival, it seemed to give up as it looked at its dying companion as if accepting death. It was in that moment that I admired the wolf. You’re unlike humans. You can actually accept your death. Humans are ignorant and scared of something they do not understand. That already makes you far more impressive than my race. My opinion on humanity was not very high. Understanding animals was something I could do far better. Perhaps it was because as a Mercenary I had given up my humanity in order to kill without feeling. Like animalistic predators, killing was a natural occurrence in my everyday life. Not many humans can say the same.
“Three down…” I spoke in a low voice. “There should be one or two more.”

--- Air’s POV

This was his job? He had to kill these animals? It looked too sad! I couldn’t bear to watch it. As someone who wanted revenge I could not even watch an animal die. Even if it were a vicious wolf. My gaze turns away, tears threatening to stream down my cheeks. Drawing in a shaky breath I shut my eyes tightly. I no longer wanted to hear the pain of the wolves.
This isn’t fair. Why couldn’t I be strong enough to watch? This was the kind of job I was waiting to see! I wanted to see Wake in action! To learn something! Instead I turned away from it, frustrated with myself. My frustration failed to let me see what was in front of me. By the time my eyes opened the wolf’s face was already near my own. Everything went in slow motion. Everything felt cold, the color around me changed to a washed-out blue-like color. Was this what incoming death felt like? I couldn’t draw in a breath. Or perhaps maybe that was just how slow everything felt. Paralyzed by fear there was nothing I could do. This was the second time that I did not move out of fear. Was this actually it? Was I going to die and reunite with my grandfather without accomplishing anything? Without avenging him?
NO! I can’t accept that! I can’t die here! Not now! Not until I’ve done everything I need to! I need to get revenge. I want to kill all bandits. They’re responsible for my grandfather’s death and if they are gone then hopefully no one will have to suffer like that again. It can’t end here! I won’t let it!
Suddenly color returned to the world. I could feel a hand on my shoulder and I was suddenly pushed to the side, my eyes wide. I land on my rear, using my arms to break my fall and keep myself propped up. My green eyes remained wide as I looked up, the breeze blowing my blonde hair about. There was nothing I could say. In front of me was Wake, his sword stuck in the Wolf’s chest, deep, maybe even going all the way through. Regardless it kept the wolf suspended in the air. The wolf continued to move, trying to claw at him and bite him but it couldn’t come any closer than an inch away from his face. Despite how scary that sight must be, especially from up close, Wake’s expression did not change. He looked at the wolf calmly. There was no sadness in Wake’s eyes, no anger, no happiness. It may have been something more akin to understanding. I didn’t get it myself though. What was there to understand? Surprisingly, as Wake continued to gaze into the Wolf’s eyes, the Wolf stopped. It let out a whine and that is when its life must have ended. Wake let it down and pulled his sword out.
Again. Wake had saved me again.

--- Wake’s POV

“You need to stop following me around. I told you it was dangerous.” Sheathing my sword on my back I turn to look at Air. She was on the ground and had not moved for the past minute. My icy-blue eyes gaze down at her, one of my hands on my waist. For a few moments she looked at me in silence, then she struggled to say something, and after a few more seconds passed she finally got the words out.
“How did you know I was following you?” She asked. She looked me right in the eyes which surprised me. Though, I began to suspect that it was because she wanted to look at anything but the dead wolves.
“I knew from the very beginning. When I was painting I could see you watching from outside. You suck at being sneaky. You’re not nearly as good as you think you are.” Perhaps that was harsh of me to say but if I was going to say something then I might as well be honest about it. She pouts. It was the pout that I now identified as an expression she makes when she is not pleased by my words.
“Then why did you ignore me? You could have said something you stupid jerk!” She gave an insult that only an angry twelve year old would probably make. ‘stupid jerk’. I haven’t heard that one since I was a kid myself.
“I was hoping that if I ignored you long enough you’d go away.” I replied honestly. Now she was glaring daggers at me and it was pretty unsettling. It would kind of be embarrassing if people were around, watching a twelve year old girl glare at me. They would definitely suspect something.
“Well that’s not going to happen! I’m determined to have you take me in! I’ll do anything for you to teach me! I’ll follow you everywhere you go until you say yes! A-And if you don’t then...then…” She seemed to be unsure of what to say but then she blurted out something that took me surprise. “Then I’ll tell everyone that you love cats and have a soft spot for them!”
WHAT THE HELL!? What was that supposed to accomplish? So what if I like cats? I identify with them. They’re just like me. They take the opportunities they get and they simply go around trying to get by in life. What’s wrong with liking cats? An annoyed sigh escapes my lips. Turning around, hands finding solace in the pockets of my pants, my feet began to slowly stride away from her. It probably gave the impression that I was going to keep going without a care in the world and never look back at her. I imagined that is what she was thinking. She stood there as if contemplating whether to go through with her own words. Follow me to the ends of the world or stay safe in Ariael. However, before she could even make her own decision I did something that surprised myself. I turned my head and looked back at her.

“Are you coming or not?”  The question that left my lips surprised me. After asking such a thing it was too late to turn back. If she was going to follow me everywhere anyway then I guess it would be easier to just deal with it. That was my excuse to get myself to stop thinking about my own impulsive decision. She must have been surprised as well because she remained still for a few seconds. Her hands twitched a bit and then suddenly she gave a nod. She didn’t say anything, just ran over and then began to walk at my side.

For just a second I thought about Old Man Arthos.



© 2015 Shaxenz


Author's Note

Shaxenz
Same as always, any constructive criticism is always nice! Tell me what you guys thought of the chapter! It's longer than the Prologue and I put a lot of thought into it so I hope you guys enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on November 25, 2015
Last Updated on November 25, 2015


Author

Shaxenz
Shaxenz

About
I am simply an aspiring writer that wants to get his ideas on paper. There's nothing particularly special about me but when I begin working on a story I do hope you will enjoy it. I will update the st.. more..

Writing
Wake Air Wake Air

A Book by Shaxenz