Challenge #2

Challenge #2

A Story by Daxis S. Dundra
"

Spy hunting down her own father

"

She checked the black casing making sure it was full and nothing would jam.  She slid the clip into the gun hearing a little click that always tugged the corner of her lip into a small smile.  Her teacher had drilled into her how satisfying proper maintenance on her gear was.  Well that and how it could save your life.  He also made a point that if you couldn’t get the job done with one clip you shouldn’t take it.

Another thing he taught her was that you should always blend in appropriately.  She put on a gray t-s**t that was a little baggy on her, blue 501 jeans that were new enough that the color hadn’t faded yet, some white running shoes that were a little worn but just enough to make them comfortable.  She then used a blue hair band and tied her long blond hair up in a ponytail.  It never failed to surprise her that most people thought of assassins as people who always went out at night wearing tight clinging black suits.

She left her hotel room and headed out.  She always hated taking public transportation but it was so easy to track personal vehicles.  Rented or owned.  It was about nine am.  She had easily an hour to get to the location of her Check.  Still her feet felt leaden.  It was such a beautiful day.   Public killings on days like today always left a bad taste in her mouth and she felt like this one was going to be the worst one yet.

The city was familiar though.  In fact she had lived here once upon a time.  Back in the days when she actually lived in an apartment rather than hotel room to hotel room on her continuous jobs.  It usually took six months of observation and planning for her to actually finish her contract and then she was off on a new one.  She refused to do anything less than perfect.  By the end of it she know what the Check was thinking before they knew themselves.  If given enough time she could have her Check die in any way she was hired to do.  A worsening illness, natural causes, and even have them commit suicide themselves.

This one though.  The second she found out who it was she knew it was going to be the fastest Check yet.  In fact he was Willy.  He knew the game himself.  The longer observed the more risky things became.  The second he even suspected there was a Check on him then he would disappear and she would never get another chance.  She took the contract last night and she meant to have it done before noon.

                She laughed a little to herself.  Her teacher had always mentioned his targets as checks.  Because the second he took up a job that target was already checked off the list.  Well that and because he didn’t do anything before the Check for his payment was cashed.  Apparently she couldn’t shake that little annoying habit she picked up from him.

                She spent a half hour window shopping and simply trying to enjoy the day before work.  In the end she found herself walking up to a familiar dinner.  It was a classic mom and pop local shop.  It had a really good burger with a killer sauce.  No pun intended.  There was burnish red set stools in front of a fake marble counter that she usually preferred to sit in as you walk in the door.  Over to the right it opened up into tables for families to sit and eat.  There was a few people here and a family sitting in the far corner table.  This being a work day.  She chose this time to go sit in one of the booths.  It was slightly more private there.

                She noticed her Check walk in a minute after she did.  He was an older man, but that could only be seen by the streaks of gray in his hair.  Otherwise you would assume he was a soldier with his broad well build shoulders and a six pack that could be barely be seen under his tight white shirt.  His hair was buzzed cut and a goatee was perfectly trimmed one his square jaw.  H

He also wore 501 blue jeans but the blue in these was a little faded.  His shoes were a mirror copy though of hers.

                There he was.  He walked right up to where she was sitting and sat on the other side of the table from her.  He looked right into her eyes and snapped his finger for a waitress.  Complete calm in all his moves.  That was another thing this man had taught her.  Always be in control.  Her throat had constricted before she even realized it.  She shoved all thoughts away and assumed to same control he had taught her.  Her words coming out smoothly “Good morning Father.”

                

© 2015 Daxis S. Dundra


Author's Note

Daxis S. Dundra
This is a writing challenge I have started to apply myself to. Someone Gives me a scene and I write it. One page minimum. I hope to improve even if a little through this. I take all requests.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on July 29, 2015
Last Updated on July 29, 2015

Author

Daxis S. Dundra
Daxis S. Dundra

Salt Lake City, UT



About
Overhauling my writing. Wild mage = A child learns how to tame his magic powers before they consume him. Bonded = A action love true love story. I've hit writer's block......Hard for me to transfer.. more..

Writing