Plucked

Plucked

A Chapter by The Autumn Faerie
"

The long-awaited second chapter of Iris!

"

It was nearly eleven o’clock when I had finally stepped into the den of my cozy suburban home, and my curfew on school nights was nine-thirty.  As I had suspected, my father was waiting; concern gleamed through the shadows of his silhouette in the dim lamplight. 
   

My father coughed aloud, and I could immediately sense this was not going to be a simple greeting.  “Are you aware of what time it is?”  He said sternly.  My father was always curt and to the point.  Often, I was thankful for that.

 

“Yes, dad, I am.  Lynne’s parents asked me to stay a little later to watch a movie.  I’m sorry.  I should have called you.”
   

“Yes, you should have, James Hayden Malone.  Now is not the time for you to develop Adolescent Alzheimer’s.  You’re almost eighteen now, and so you must act as any responsible adult would.”  He used my full name; this was not going to go over well.  
   

“I know, and I’m sorry.  I promise that next time I will call; this won’t happen again.” Over the years, I had learned to be intelligent in arguments, and simply agree with whatever my father said; it was better for both his sake, and mine.
   

“That’s right, because you will no longer have such luxuries as to roam wherever, whenever.  From now on, it’s to school and back, no exceptions.”  A tiny vein began to pulse in his forehead, another bad sign.
   

“Dad, you’re not being reasonable!”  I pleaded, my resolve breaking down, “It’s my senior year, and I am seventeen.  I work hard in school, and I’m taking post-secondary honors courses.  I’m at the top of my class.  I should be able to come home a little passed curfew and not be crucified!”  I could see by his expression that he was beginning to think things over a little better.  It looked as though I would not be imprisoned after all.
   

“…You’re right…”  He said hesitantly, “I shouldn’t have been so harsh, but if this ever happens again without a phone call or prior notice I will ground you for an eternity.  By the way, I hope you used protection.”  My faced flushed.  How did he know?
   

Speechless, I managed to squeak out, “How could you tell?”
   

He grinned.  “It was easy.  The guilt was written all over your face.  I was your age once, too, you know.”  Thankfully, I did not seem to be in any further trouble. 
   

“Oh,”  I said quietly, still in shock, “Well, it’s late…  You don’t mind if I head for the shower, and then get to bed, do you?”
   

“No, I suppose I don’t.  But next time, a phone call would be much appreciated..”
   

“Thanks, dad.”  I said sincerely.  To say that I was thankful for being let off easy would have been to underestimate my feelings of gratitude completely, which had a recent spike, because he didn't insist upon sharing the details of when he was my age.  Parents might too be people, but isights to their sex lives, even young, were always awkward.
   

As I’d headed for the stairs, my father said, “Be sure to keep quiet. Your mom’s been asleep for a while, now.”
   

“Thanks, again, dad.  Good night.” I replied gratefully, and went up the stairs to partake in my nightly rituals, relieved he hadn't shot me.


                           ~***~


Once I finished my shower, gathered my things for school in the morning, and tried to sleep, I realized I couldn’t get Lynne out of my head.  It was like watching one of those old projection movies, and the many ways they easily captivate the viewer with their flickering, sketchy movements.  I don’t know how she did it, but Lynne was the star of the screen.  My screen.  The perfect actress, my Juliet.  Strangely, I had never quite understood Shakespeare, but I could understand love.   At least, I thought I did. 
   

Even so, Lynne would not leave my mind, I could still see her, and it was so real that I could still feel her.  The subtle way she stroked my cheek, the tender way I kissed her neck- all of it.  Every single sensation remaining from those few, precious hours haunted me, but not in a ghostly manner.  I would never tire of these memories, for they are absolutely wonderful. 
   

And so, I closed my eyes, and savored the tenderness of those moments, as they only occur once in a lifetime, and very few people have been so fortunate as I have been. 
   

As I drifted into a serenely pleasant slumber, I couldn’t help but let her name linger upon my lips just a little longer.  Lynne.



© 2008 The Autumn Faerie


Author's Note

The Autumn Faerie
Less exciting, I know, but the boy had to return home sometime, sadly.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved it!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A wonderful piece of the puzzle. Knowing more about the characters and keeping them fresh is paramount for this kind of story. The same-old, same-old would get stale and uninteresting, but adding dimensions to them is good and makes the likable and fully fleshed. Great tale!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 31, 2008
Last Updated on August 16, 2008


Author

The Autumn Faerie
The Autumn Faerie

Withering in, OH



About
Just a lover of words-- A poet of sorts... A soul, who knows what it's like-- To lose. I'll be nineteen soon, and I've been doing recreational writing for about eight years now, though I was discoura.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..