Dead Girl or Demon?

Dead Girl or Demon?

A Chapter by Jennifer

"Edison, we're going to be late if you don't hurry," Edison could hear his mom's voice over the running water as he brushed his teeth. His mom was great but sometimes she drove him crazy. 

Her looks belied her voice. She was only five-foot-five, small boned and with shoulder-length, blonde hair always neatly fixed, even at 7:00 am, when he left for school even though she was a stay-at-home mom. She was also the most organized person he'd ever known. His absent-minded dad would be lost without her. 

She was an artist-the oil painting kind. She'd nearly been famous before she'd married his dad-at least that's the way he told the story.

Edison spat out his toothpaste and rinsed his mouth. He was clad in just a fluffy towel wrapped around his waist. He combed his hair back, the cool new way that he found he liked and hummed one of his favorite songs,  Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust." 

You could thank his parents for that. They had raised him on classic rock, mixed with Christian music of course and some classical.

"Be right there, mom!" 

Edison left the steamy bathroom and entered his bedroom. He quickly pulled on boxers, black dress slacks, and a nice long sleeved shirt. It was Sunday and that meant church day.  As he buttoned his shirt, he glanced out his window and saw his dad pulling the car out of the garage. 

He threw on a suit jacket, socks, and shoes and glanced one more time in the mirror. He looked halfway decent, he smiled to himself. Aw, except for the glasses. He yearned for contact lenses, but they always gave him a weird reaction, his eyes became all watery, red and painful, no matter which type he tried, soft lenses, hard lenses, but whatever. 

Please let this morning be a good one God, and take care of Nora, he prayed. He was worried about her living in such conflict, the whole her dad beat her mom thing. That gave him an idea for this Wednesday's youth group meeting that he led. He could talk about how to treat girls. Maybe Nora could even come over for a bit, he thought as he headed down the stairs to the front door.

As he got into the backseat of the car, he checked his phone for messages. None. Strange, after that one he had received the other day, telling him not to worry about anything and that he didn't have to take orders from anyone, ever.

"You look extra nice today, son," his dad said, glancing in the rearview mirror.

"Thanks, dad."

"You're a handsome guy, you take after your father," his mom said. "Not to change the subject, but guess what, you two?"

She didn't wait for a reply.

"I've been invited to present my work in a local art gallery show next month."

"That's awesome, mom," Edison said.

"Thanks, honey. I'm excited."

HIs dad told her how talented she was and rubbed her hand. He quickly kissed her on the lips.

Edison wondered if and when he'd find someone to connect to on such a deep level like his mom and dad had done. He believed in soul mates. That's what he wanted. He wanted a mental, physical, emotional and spiritual connection with a girl. 

Then he remembered Nora at lunch the other day, and how pretty her legs had looked. He had felt very attracted to her lately. He contemplated telling her his feelings. Soon, maybe. 

Something made him glance up at his second story bedroom as they curved around the driveway to pull out into the street. 

In his window, stood the silhouette of a girl. If you could call it a girl...it had black hair and freaky eyes. No, they weren't even eyes...they were piercing silver slits. They were looking at him, right into his soul.

What did I just see?  Edison thought.  You saw nothing, it's your subconscious playing off of what Nora told you about her seeing a ghost in your house. 

This house has never been haunted, nothing had ever happened here. But he knew that thing in his window looking at him right now wasn't human.  

Stop it, he berated himself as they drove to church. Your mind is playing tricks.  He looked out the car window, watching people walk their dogs, and kids play in front yards. It was a perfectly normal, sunny, Sunday morning. 

When they reached the church and parked, Edison was glad to be able to leave the car. As he opened his door and stepped out, he felt a tickle on the back of his neck. It felt like a gentle kiss. He rubbed the spot. Before he shut the door, he stared at the empty back seat.  He couldn't see her but he could feel her as her essence wrapped around his body and soul. She wanted him. He shivered.



© 2018 Jennifer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on July 31, 2018
Last Updated on July 31, 2018
Tags: supernatural, teen, paranormal, scary, demon, dead girl


Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

CA



About
Hi, everyone! I'm a short film screenwriter, short story writer and in the midst of my first novel which is about a teenager and the paranormal. I love animals, sarcasm (at the right time and place.. more..

Writing
Nora Nora

A Chapter by Jennifer